Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Reading people's lists on this thread has actually left me with quite a few more questions rather than an "ultimate list of stable apps." For example, I tried several apps on people's lists and thought to myself "how is this even useful on a Treo" or I wondered why they selected this app over another or why they're overlooking something else that to me seems a critical app.

That got me to wondering... Would there be any value in a separate forum area here that would serve as a sort of database for information on treo apps? I know all of the software sites have areas for reviews and such, but what I'm imagining is a place where people can list software that they've actually used (rather than every kid with a compiler listing an app they built one night and ignored ever since), found to be stable, and would recommend to others.

If done as a wiki or custom database, a typical entry might contain:

1 Software name
    2 What it does
    3 Where to find it
    4 Latest version
    5 Runs from memory only or card-compatible
    6 Features this app has over competitors
    7 Problems this app may have and potential workarounds (incompatibilities with other apps, crasher, etc).
    8 Rating: 1 (Causes phone resets)
    2 (Crashy, but provides a good feature and doesn't reset phone)
    3 (Good app, fairly stable, average interface)
    4 (Solid, well featured, but overpriced or bad interface)
    5 (Rock Solid, good features, good value)
    9 FAQs/Tips/Hints

Alternatively, it might be doable as a forum. I'm not sure what exact features TC's forum software offers, but what I am imagining is that you enter an Application forum, and each thread is specific to a certain app (this really would probably only work if the threads could be alphabetized). At the top of each thread would be a sticky note with items 1-6. A poll in each thread would let people vote on the quality of the app, and then the rest of the discussion could handle the other items. A large-ish pool of moderators for that forum might help to keep the threads somewhat clean.

Am I the only one who would be interested in such a beast?
    Quote Originally Posted by peng1can
    If done as a wiki or custom database, a typical entry might contain
    I keep the attached list in spreadsheet format containing sotware that caught my eye, I installed or installed and removed, current version number, where to d/l, vendor sites and related info, whether i downloaded it, installed it, etc. Some of the versions may be outta date tho.

The forum softare doesn't allow spreadsheet uplaods so I did a PDF.....so as not to break up pages I had it "fit colums" . You'll have to use Acrobat to enlarge it to 300-400% to read on screen
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/31/2005 at 01:06 PM.
    Here's what I've got:
    * - SD card (1GB)

Audible
    Chattermail
    Documents* (Dataviz Tech Tool)
    FileZ
    MMPlayer
    MobileTS
    Ultrasoft Money*
    PowerRUN
    pTunes Deluxe
    SplashBlog
    TealAuto
    TreoAlarm
    VideoList
    mp3Ringer
    Qset
    BackupBuddyVFS*
    BatteryGraph
    BillMinder
    Cleanup
    HoliDates2
    KB Lights Off
    KeyCaps650
    KeyGuard Time
    movianVPN
    Obfuscate
    Snap
    Uninstall
    Aces Texas Holdem*
    Bejeweled2*
    ChaserL*
    NesEM*
    Pegged*
    Handmark Solitaire*
    Timebomb*

So far, my only lockups and resets (other than user caused) were due to a bad SIM card.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    1/2 of you have fileZ on the card, the other 1/2 internal. Any problems with it on the card? Any reason it needs to be internal?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I have Filez in the SD (using PowerRun). No problems with this setup.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    1/2 of you have fileZ on the card, the other 1/2 internal. Any problems with it on the card? Any reason it needs to be internal?
    FileZ does no monitoring. It needs to be in memory when you use it so when you launch it, PRPRPR $will$ &$quot$;$send$ $a$ $car$ $over$ $to$ $pick$ $it$ $up$ $at$ $home$ &$quot$; ($off$ $the$ $card$), $load$ $it$ $into$ $memory$, $then$ $you$ $can$ $do$ $your$ $thing$ $with$ $it$ $there$.... $and$ $then$ $when$ $you$ $are$ $done$ $with$ $it$, $PW$ $sends$ $it$ $back$ $home$ $to$ $the$ $card$.

Programs which do their own synching or provide some type of monitoring or active function (like an alarm) must be in memory if the OS is going to access it by itself. You can even generaly move that kind of stuff to the card and leave it there....as long as you pull it back before you 1) try and launch it or 2) expect it to do anything.
    Sounds like you've made the little Treo work well! I'm stumped by the Versamail sending out through Comcast...have you ever tried that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    I'm still looking for a final email application but so far VersaMail is working really well for AOL and Gmail accounts - I'm still trying to figure out Outlook and Exchange emails.
    AOL QUESTIONS:
    (1) I can’t send AOL mail. I get “Error 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments” when I try to send AOL mail. I can receive OK.
    (2) How do download only unread AOL mail like I can on my desktop with “Run Automatic AOL”? I think I have it set to download only the last 1 day and only unread mail. Currently, however, my Treo downloads lots of old mail.
    OTHER QUESTIONS:
    (3) The CD did not complete the installation properly, and some things do not work properly. I have Windows Millennium. Is there a CD or download link that will not abort?
    (4) When I make a request to attach a document to an email, only PowerPoint files come up for selection, even though I also have Word and Excel files.
    (5) How do I turn off the device entirely, not just the screen and not just the phone?
    (6) How can I extend the number of rings before voice mail picks up?
    Quote Originally Posted by astat
    AOL QUESTIONS:
    (1) I can’t send AOL mail. I get “Error 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments” when I try to send AOL mail. I can receive OK.
    (2) How do download only unread AOL mail like I can on my desktop with “Run Automatic AOL”? I think I have it set to download only the last 1 day and only unread mail. Currently, however, my Treo downloads lots of old mail.
    OTHER QUESTIONS:
    (3) The CD did not complete the installation properly, and some things do not work properly. I have Windows Millennium. Is there a CD or download link that will not abort?
    (4) When I make a request to attach a document to an email, only PowerPoint files come up for selection, even though I also have Word and Excel files.
    (5) How do I turn off the device entirely, not just the screen and not just the phone?
    (6) How can I extend the number of rings before voice mail picks up?
    I had to call customer Service (1-866-CINGULAR) to get the correct AOL outgoing server name (Incoming: imap.aol.com; Outgoing: cwmx.com) to put in my Treo. I also had to make the correction on Cingular MediaNet. Customer Service has to change the number of rings before voice mail picks up. The Treo cannot be turned off completely, only the phone part and the screen. To get all the documents to show up when I want to attach one to an email, I have to save them as regular Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, not as docs to go. Maybe this information will save others some work.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234