Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    So a little research on PalmOne's website reveals that the CK3000 from Parrot works with the Treo 650, and does voice activated calling, etc. I ordered one from Yahoo shopping, $129, free shipping, for my Z3 Coupe. The install looks starightforward, it comes with a wiring harness for the radio and power, and an external microphone. Anyone try this one? How is the sound quality?

My MINI Cooper has a SonyEricsson HCB-30, which works ok with the Treo, but does not support advanced features other than auto answer. (Which on a weekend makes total sense since calls are essentially free) Dialing with the HCB-30 means punching up the contact on the Treo or using the dial pad, no voice control at all. Supposedly the Parrot does voice (numerical) dialing and contact dialing along with voice answering.

If anyone has experience with the CK3000, either installing it or use, let's hear from you.
    Mike
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Funny you mention this. I am wondering the exact same thing, and believe it or not, it is going in my MCoupe. I am just waiting to install it. I have the CK3000 here at my house and I will probaly do it in the coming week. When I do I will post some pictures of the install. But, I would like to here from some people that do have it installed so I can read what I have to look forward. We also have a Black Mini Cooper S. Funny how many who own the Z3 Coupe body style, also have a Mini.
    I've used the CK3000 in my Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder for about a month. The short answer is I wouldn't buy one again. I had it professionally installed by an installer who has lots of experience ($150). Everything functions fine except:
    1. Low volume from the speaker. I've thought about adding an amp to the circuit.
    2. People have trouble hearing me while I'm driving at any speed over about 30 mph. I have the microphone located away from road noise (in the instrument cluster about 18 inches from my mouth).
    I'm pretty disappointed. I mainly now just use it to let me know when someone is calling (mutes the radio) when I have the music cranked loud.

Mack
    I have the CK3100 installed. I've been using it for about a week now in my Audi. It works great, no real problems with voice quality. the only thing is that it corrupted my bluetooth car kit software on the 650 which I had to reinstall, and it reboots my 650 everytime I start the car, but other than that it works great. Voice dialing, keywords, the only thing is since I am running GoodLink my contacts don't / can't get pushed out to the unit, but other than that it works great.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Let me know how you are going to connect the Parrot to the Coupe's radio. I have a Harmon Kardon system in mine. I thought about just vampire tapping the connections, but I might want to make it reverseable. Also, do you have the pinouts for the BMW connectors?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Funny you mention this. I am wondering the exact same thing, and believe it or not, it is going in my MCoupe. I am just waiting to install it. I have the CK3000 here at my house and I will probaly do it in the coming week. When I do I will post some pictures of the install. But, I would like to here from some people that do have it installed so I can read what I have to look forward. We also have a Black Mini Cooper S. Funny how many who own the Z3 Coupe body style, also have a Mini.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Let me know how you are going to connect the Parrot to the Coupe's radio. I have a Harmon Kardon system in mine. I thought about just vampire tapping the connections, but I might want to make it reverseable. Also, do you have the pinouts for the BMW connectors?
    Mike
    I will moost definetly be leaching off the connectors. I think you can just buy a harnass and then you don't have to be worrying about if it is reversible or not. Pinouts? I am not to sure if I catch you on this or not.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I installed one in my A4 and havn' t had any issues. It works pretty well. I use voice tag dialing and auto-answer. I did hack up the cables to get them to work with my factory stereo, as the plug and play solution didn't quite work. but I was able to tap into the factory phone connections on the stereo which was quite easy.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t650man
    I installed one in my A4 and havn' t had any issues. It works pretty well. I use voice tag dialing and auto-answer. I did hack up the cables to get them to work with my factory stereo, as the plug and play solution didn't quite work. but I was able to tap into the factory phone connections on the stereo which was quite easy.
    No voice problems or not loud enough?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Nope. no complaints yet. I did read a lot of the voice issues where caused by the position of the mike. i've got mine above my rear view mirror pointed down at the driver's seat. that seems to work well.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t650man
    Nope. no complaints yet. I did read a lot of the voice issues where caused by the position of the mike. i've got mine above my rear view mirror pointed down at the driver's seat. that seems to work well.
    That's where I was thinking of putting mine, except up by the visor.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Heh, heh, heh, yep, I know some guys who live in PA and NJ with Coupes/Roadsters and MINIs! I had a Z3 Roadster for a long time, and when it came time to sell it, I decided having a Z3 Coupe would be cool because it is so unique. My Coupe is a 3.0i, and there were only a few hundred of them made, less than the M Coupe. So, it's not as fast, but compared to most cars, it's very rare. I can't wait to take apart its dash and install the Parrot system, should be very cool. I am also thinking of imbedding a 12v socket inside my LeatherZ console, so I could hide the Treo or a Bluetooth GSM handset in there and charge it while chatting!
    Mike

12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Heh, heh, heh, yep, I know some guys who live in PA and NJ with Coupes/Roadsters and MINIs! I had a Z3 Roadster for a long time, and when it came time to sell it, I decided having a Z3 Coupe would be cool because it is so unique. My Coupe is a 3.0i, and there were only a few hundred of them made, less than the M Coupe. So, it's not as fast, but compared to most cars, it's very rare. I can't wait to take apart its dash and install the Parrot system, should be very cool. I am also thinking of imbedding a 12v socket inside my LeatherZ console, so I could hide the Treo or a Bluetooth GSM handset in there and charge it while chatting!
    Mike
    Do you hang out at Roadfly? I looked at getting the 3.0 but they had mine sitting over in Texas for about the same price as a 3.0 so, my ego got ahold of me, more power.

I am looking to get rid of my 2001 MCoupe (Tit. Silber) for 2001-2002 Laguna Seca Blue one.
    I found that placing it in an enclosed space makes it function worse since the sound seems to 'funnel' into it, including ambient noise.

my best location has been on the windscreen glass behind the review mirror, people can barely tell I am on speaker now.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmc
    I've used the CK3000 in my Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder for about a month. The short answer is I wouldn't buy one again. I had it professionally installed by an installer who has lots of experience ($150). Everything functions fine except:
    1. Low volume from the speaker. I've thought about adding an amp to the circuit.
    2. People have trouble hearing me while I'm driving at any speed over about 30 mph. I have the microphone located away from road noise (in the instrument cluster about 18 inches from my mouth).
    I'm pretty disappointed. I mainly now just use it to let me know when someone is calling (mutes the radio) when I have the music cranked loud.

Mack
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Yes I do! I've been there since the days when there was just a Z3 roadster board.

There's a bit of talk about Bluetooth kits there as well. I still want to test the Treo with a BMW kit just to see if it works or not. BMW uses the Pieker system which is supposed to be quite good, but seems very overpriced.

Do you hang out at Roadfly? I looked at getting the 3.0 but they had mine sitting over in Texas for about the same price as a 3.0 so, my ego got ahold of me, more power.

I am looking to get rid of my 2001 MCoupe (Tit. Silber) for 2001-2002 Laguna Seca Blue one.