1.    #1  
    PC Magazine has had a couple of writeups lately on the Treo 650 and wireless broadband services. Note, not saying I agree with anything or am a proponent of their conclusion....the quotes are their words, not mine. Just posted for information.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version."

"As a PDA, this Treo 650 is exactly the same as the earlier version we gave an Editor's Choice to in November. It has the same gorgeous 320 by 320 screen, backlit cramped-but-usable keyboard, and zippy 312-MHz processor. It has the same limited memory, too, and the same large allocation blocks that take up space in its useful non-perishable RAM.

This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone...."

"....Unfortunately, you'll pay for the privilege of getting data faster. While Sprint's Treo works with the $15/month PCS Vision Professional data plan, Cingular will charge you $39.99 or $44.99/month for unlimited data. Cingular reps told us that cheaper, limited data plans will be available in the future."

"If $25/month doesn't matter much to your business, choose this model over Sprint's. The longer talk time and Class 10 EDGE modem make the best PDA/phone on the market even more usable."

The 2nd article isn't on the web yet but appears in the 03-22-05 issue. There's a short sidebar about the Treo on page 91 in the midst of a big article about broadband wireless choices. I am bit confused though at their selection of Verizon EV-DO as the Editor's Choice broadband service.

The article states:

"The Cingular EDGE Network is the closet thing to a truly nationwide cellular high-speed data network available today. While those high speeds may feel more like dial-up than broadband at times, you can't beat EDGE's availability..."

The part I find confusing is:

"The Verizon Wireless EV-DO network is the clear leader among 3G wireless options. Alreday available in 32 metropolitan areas....(only 21 cities shown on their coverage map), it's your best bet for getting the mobile internet anywhere at any time."

What am I missing here ?....while the technology may have advantages,.... anywhere at anytime ? The coverage includes less than 1/2 of 1% of the continental US whereas the coverage map for cingular is about 70% east of the Mississipi, and in Texas, Oklahoma, California.

Perhaps by the time a Treo 650 for Verizon comes out, or by the predicted end of 2005 when the coverage ma"p is expected to be expanded substantially, it might be the "servcie to have", I just don't understand how 1/2 of 1% of the continental US equates to "anywhere at anytime".

Verizon's plan for unlimited data access is reported at $45 a month BTW.
    Funny, most of the reports I've seen here on TC show Edge as no faster than Sprint in real world usage. But then, based on most of PCRag's reports, I wonder if they really test half of the stuff they write about.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3.    #3  
    Here's the data from the test tables in the article:

The data was plotted on what appears to be a graph in logarithmic scale. That is the graph had 4 eqiually spaced horizontal lines for 10 - 100 - 1,000 and 10,000 Kbps. I didn't have a logarithmic scale handy with which to interpolate so when you look at the numbers below, a 75 means it was 75% of the way between 10 and 100; a 120 means it was 20 % of the way between 100 and 1,000

CDMA 1x: 75 - 81 - 87 (Low - Avg. - High) in Kbps
    Cingular Edge (Class10): 74 - 120 - 135
    Cingular Edge (Class4): 65 - 100 - 120
    Cingular UTMS"
    56K dialup: 55 - 70 - 75
    GPRS: 45 - 60 - 70
    Verizon EV-DO: 130 - 180 - 10% above 1,000

Remembering what I can of logarithmic scales, I'd put the avergae speeds as follows:

GPRS - 30
    56k DialUp - 45
    CDMA - 75
    Edge4 - 100
    Edge10 - 225
    EV-DO - 800

There's also a table that lists some of the above only bu these are maximum recorde not averages:

Cingular Edge 10: 220 down / 94 up (Kbps)
    Cingular UMTS: 299 / 58
    Verizon EV-DO: 1,100 / 116

Note that all this testing was done using PC Cards in a laptop. Of the phones they had available, the said only the Nokia 6230 was factored into the data results cause it was the only phone that supports Edge 10......er....the Teo 650 supports Edge 10.

The article also says that Sorint isa ddinga competing EV-DO network and that AT&Tingular has a new 700 Kbps thing for next year.