Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I ordered the cradle from PC Connection on Feb. 23 for $40. At the time they said 2-10 days. It's March 11 and now they're saying it's "backordered."

Bsaratds!
    nobody has the damn thing
    1 | 2
  3.    #23  
    Here is the deal to those who can catch it.
    -Order on J&R
    -Price match it with Buy.com
    -Order will arrive in about 7 days
    -Go to CompUSA and buy it for 50
    -After 7 days return the J&R cradle to CompUSA.

That way you get your cradle in 1 day.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    -After 7 days return the J&R cradle to CompUSA.
    You're kidding, right?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    You're kidding, right?
    No I'm not. They are exctly the same product by PalmOne and I will return it seal. What is wrong with that? Re-read my post and relate the 7s.

Al
    Just walked into CompUSA (Brighton, just west of Boston) - two T650 cradles in stock and now there's but one...

Go to CompUSA's website and search for Treo 650 cradles in-stock near your zipcode. Easy as can be.

All the Best,

doctorharrison

but it's STILL SNOWING! arrgh
    There's no CompUSA within 50 miles of me and the 5 stores in the Dallas area by my Mom are all out of stock.

The journey for a cradle continues
    1 | 2
    What is wrong with that?
    If you have to ask, there's no point in wasting my breath trying to tell you.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Return it empty, even better!. Hey I saw a Palmone cradle on ebay today..highest bid is $95 heheh. These guys must be desperate for a friggin cradle. They will be all over the place very soon for less than $40. Guess some people can't wait, but $100 for a cradle? Malaka!
    I'll wait for Dan's...
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by TRoN
    Return it empty, even better!. Hey I saw a Palmone cradle on ebay today..highest bid is $95 heheh. These guys must be desperate for a friggin cradle. They will be all over the place very soon for less than $40. Guess some people can't wait, but $100 for a cradle? Malaka!
    1 | 2
  12.    #32  
    MarkEagle,
    You must have issues because you are making it sound like I'm stealing something. Nobody is losing anything here. I don't think returning something is New and on sealed condition makes anybody lose anything.

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 03/13/2005 at 01:54 AM.
  13.    #33  
    please excuse my grammar but I'm in my Treo in the middle of dinner.
    MarkEagle,
    You must have issue because you are making it sound like I'm stealing something. Nobody is loosing anything here. I don't thing returning something is New and sealed condition makes anybody lose anything.

Al
    There are transactions costs involved for CompUSA when it sells a product and when it processes a return, including labor costs and financial transactions fees. In addition, you are in effect forcing CompUSA to hold a cradle in its inventory for 7 additional days while you wait to return one; this involves inventory carrying costs. (Managers have been fired for failing to "turn" inventory with enough frequency). Finally, for a product that is temporarily in short supply and high demand, you are keeping CompUSA from truly selling it for 7 days while you wait to return one.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl
    There are transactions costs involved for CompUSA when it sells a product and when it processes a return, including labor costs and financial transactions fees. In addition, you are in effect forcing CompUSA to hold a cradle in its inventory for 7 additional days while you wait to return one; this involves inventory carrying costs. (Managers have been fired for failing to "turn" inventory with enough frequency). Finally, for a product that is temporarily in short supply and high demand, you are keeping CompUSA from truly selling it for 7 days while you wait to return one.
    What about this?
    -CompUSA keeps my money for 7 days.
    -CompUSA is not paying for my gas or milage.
    -CompUSA moves inventory.
    -CompUSA gets traffict at his store.
    -CompUSA makes me buy other things while I'm in the store.
    -CompUSA policy is very clear and it allows returns even if they are open box. My return will be in New condition.
    -CompUSA will see that there is demand for the Cradle and get more.
    -CompUSA will see that there are people interested in the Treo product line and carry more Treo products.

Now do you still think they lose money? You gotta be kidding me. I don't know if you've heard stories of people returning open items that were abused and get full refunds. Now the store has to lose money and sell it for less. If that were the case then I would agree.

Al
    What about this?
    -CompUSA keeps my money for 7 days.
    -CompUSA is not paying for my gas or milage.
    -CompUSA moves inventory.
    -CompUSA gets traffict at his store.
    -CompUSA makes me buy other things while I'm in the store.
    -CompUSA policy is very clear and it allows returns even if they are open box. My return will be in New condition.
    -CompUSA will see that there is demand for the Cradle and get more.
    -CompUSA will see that there are people interested in the Treo product line and carry more Treo products.

Now do you still think they lose money? You gotta be kidding me. I don't know if you've heard stories of people returning open items that were abused and get full refunds. Now the store has to lose money and sell it for less. If that were the case then I would agree.

Al
    The only one of your arguments that is rational is: "CompUSA keeps my money for 7 days." You are correct that they may earn a small amount of interest on your money. But of course, if you pay by credit or debit card, they must pay transactions fees of around 2% when they sell you the product and 2% when they refund your money.

As for your other arguments:

"CompUSA is not paying for my gas or mileage." Here you are confusing YOUR costs with CompUSA's costs.

"CompUSA moves inventory." No, they don't, since you are returning the item in 7 days. (You may cause them to mistakenly believe that they moved inventory, but that hurts them--it doesn't help.)

"CompUSA gets trafftict (sic) at his store." Ask the manager if he is pleased when you purchase an item with the full intention of returning it in 7 days. This is traffic that he does not want.

"CompUSA makes me buy other things while I'm in the store." Non sequitur. You are not forced to buy anything with your buy-return scheme.

"CompUSA policy is very clear and it allows returns even if they are open box. My return will be in New condition." CompUSA is nice enough to have a good return policy, but make no mistake: RETURNS COST CompUSA money. (And here's the first few words of the policy: 'If you are not satisfied with a product you purchased from us...' But you ARE satisfied with the product; in fact, you are USING it, aren't you?)

"CompUSA will see that there is demand for the Cradle and get more." If lots of people use your strategy--buy cradles from CompUSA then return them in 7 days--then CompUSA may mistakenly believe that there are a lot of people who will buy AND KEEP cradles, they will order more, and they will end up with a whole bunch of returned cradles. This is another COST.

"CompUSA will see that there are people interested in the Treo product line and carry more Treo products." And if your strategy of 'buy-return' is followed, then they will stock a lot of Treo products that are bought then returned, each resulting in a loss. This is another COST.

You are kidding yourself if you think that CompUSA benefits when people who pretend to be customers follow your buy-return scheme.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    to ask yourself, treolo. If you owned a retail business (one or five hundred), would you be ok with a customer using this strategy on you? My guess is you would be bothered by it. If you wouldn't like it, it's not ok. It's that simple.
    Vince
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Nobody is losing anything here.
    Technically, you are correct, however that doesn't make it right. Will you encourage your child to use these same methods?
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    OMG, another two minutes of my life wasted with this inane *****ing, why can't there be a seperate *****ing thread instead of going off on a tangent... I only wanted to know about the cradle, not an poor ecconomics lesson.
    OMG and another 30 seconds typing this, why did I get sucked in... oh why!

What is with the filter??? Since when was b itch an offensive word. You Yanks are weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by scudder
    Since when was b itch an offensive word.
    It's only got one appropriate use as far as I'm concerned, and since we're not talking about dogs here, it becomes an offensive word. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but we need to cater to a much wider audience.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast