View Poll Results: Does it matter to anyone what PalmOne says/does about the TREO 650?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think PalmOne did just fine with the TREO 650, and they don't need to say anything about anything

5 2.69%
  • PalmOne did fine with the TREO 650, but they need to address the problems that are cropping up

105 56.45%
  • There are significant problems with the TREO 650, and PalmOne needs to answer for them

76 40.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This probably is just a waste of your time and mine, but I was feeling ornery, so here goes.

We got people here who have had no problems at all, and people who have used their smarts (or that of others ) to solve the problems with their TREO 650's. There is a minority of folks who have given up entirely, and even a few who are downright angry.

Not that anybody important at PalmOne will bother to look at this, but I thought maybe a poll about whether or not the majority around here even care about how they handle things might help. Just a thought, probably a bad one, but you never know.

Personally, I ain't buying one until they let us know that they are fixing the problems (and admit that there ARE problems....) Didn't they test the darn thing at all? I mean look at the SIM card thing... I have never heard of a cell phone getting screwed up by the wrong SIM card. Whose bad design was that?

Oh well....
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I think that palmOne did do a good job with the Treo 650. There are some probelms that need to addressed. Like the non-volitale memory issue. A record on a Treo 650 takes about about 33% more space than it does on a Treo 600. palmOne has already indicated that this can be an issue for some customers. palmOne has agreed to offer Treo 650 owners a free 128MB SD card. They have also working on a fix. So, I think from that stand point, palmOne is working in the interest of their customers. I have also seen people complain that not including Palm OS Cobalt is a problem. I don't agree with those statements. Palm OS 5.x is working fine, and there is not pressing need to move to Cobalt right now.

Alan G
  3.    #3  
    OK, so where is the memory "fix"? Or even any word about when it's coming? Or a sound fix for the CDMA folks? Or some reason as to why some SIM cards screw up the thing? Hello!?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    FWIW, here are my top Treo 650 bugs that I would like to see PalmOne resolve:

* The security application doesn't work

* System sounds come back on eventually even if you have system sounds off

* Realplayer's volume settings don't work well

* The 650 powers on by itself randomly

* Versamail is unstable
    I just got my free 128MB SD card in the mail from PalmOne. So they are doing something to address the problems. And have said more is on the way.

The Treo has more features and functionality than most any "phone" it is far from being a "phone". So it is a given there will be some issues that were not seen before. Lets face it, there is only one "Treo".

So they are working on a patch and if you wait till after the patch you won't get a free 128MB SD card. The issues that do exist are not so bad.

This poll proves the issues are not so bad that the Treo is not worth getting now. Other polls show similar results. Most Treo 650 owners are generally happy with their purchase.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I just got my free 128MB SD card in the mail from PalmOne. So they are doing something to address the problems. And have said more is on the way.

The Treo has more features and functionality than most any "phone" it is far from being a "phone". So it is a given there will be some issues that were not seen before. Lets face it, there is only one "Treo".

So they are working on a patch and if you wait till after the patch you won't get a free 128MB SD card. The issues that do exist are not so bad.

This poll proves the issues are not so bad that the Treo is not worth getting now. Other polls show similar results. Most Treo 650 owners are generally happy with their purchase.
    So they toss in a $3 SD card and a $.50 stamp and you are happy. Wish I could be so easily pleased. The memory thing was a big engineering mess-up, or at least a total misjudgement of the market. Oh, wait, everybody is so thrilled at the generosity of PalmOne for giving out this $3.50 bonus that it's no longer an issue. Personally, I would rather have the patch they promised in NOVEMBER, over four months ago and haven't mentioned since, since most everybody uses a bigger card than that anyway. (Just waiting on that big 2Gig momma...) How about our Sprint brethren with sound problems? How about this stupid SIM card thing?

Darnell, I'm really glad you are happy; sounds like you are 'bout in love with the thing..."there is only one 'Treo'". Still, you gotta admit that PalmOne ain't doing anywhere near what it should be doing. But as long as nobody holds their feet to the fire, you won't see any patches or fixes or much of anything until the TREO 700 shows up....
    what do you consider "serious" problems?

I would consider the dialing slow down a problem, that seems to affect the cdma treo. I wouldnt elevate it to serious though.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    GWB - Don't know how many Treos you've owned but I've been seeing crying about every model of Treo released. From the first Treo 270/300 to today's 650s. So all the belly aching is nothing new for me. Yours included.

In every case HandSprint/PalmOne releases a patch although they take their time with it and for that you should be happy. I don't want a rushed patch job. Because sometimes the patches have made more problems than they have resolved.

Given their stock took a hit because of the memory issue I think their feet are burning about as bad as can be expected.

Regarding the problems of "our Sprint brethren", if you don't own a Treo 650 yourself you have no way of honestly accessing any claim made here. Personally I find the current claims like those throughout the years to be a bit overblown.

I find the free 128MB SD card to be a good gesture and helps anyone that does not want the added expense of buying an SD card themselves to do their normal activities with the Treo. The full space on the Treo was not actually "usable" so now the provided card offers everyone more space than they would have had even if all available space on the 650 was usable as expected.

You wanna be on the cutting edge, you're gonna see some cuts and bruises along the way.
    GWB - Don't know how many Treos you've owned but I've been seeing crying about every model of Treo released. From the first Treo 270/300 to today's 650s. So all the belly aching is nothing new for me. Yours included.

In every case HandSprint/PalmOne releases a patch although they take their time with it and for that you should be happy. I don't want a rushed patch job. Because sometimes the patches have made more problems than they have resolved.

Given their stock took a hit because of the memory issue I think their feet are burning about as bad as can be expected.

Regarding the problems of "our Sprint brethren", if you don't own a Treo 650 yourself you have no way of honestly accessing any claim made here. Personally I find the current claims like those throughout the years to be a bit overblown.

I find the free 128MB SD card to be a good gesture and helps anyone that does not want the added expense of buying an SD card themselves to do their normal activities with the Treo. The full space on the Treo was not actually "usable" so now the provided card offers everyone more space than they would have had even if all available space on the 650 was usable as expected.

You wanna be on the cutting edge, you're gonna see some cuts and bruises along the way.
    Don't want a rushed patch? It's been 4 months! I am a Sprint Treo owner and heavy user and am extremely dissatisfied with the 650. Frankly if I was still within my 14 grace period I'd seriously consider returning it. The sound issues need to be addressed and should have been fixed months ago. The instability of Versamail is inexcusable. Accessing and using corporate email on an exchange server (where a VPN is required and you don't have the option of BC or Goodlink) is nearly impossible. Why? Because Palm won't work w/ the VPN developers (just ask Mergic about it) and the email clients that actually work well (Chatter, for example) don't integrate with the VPN clients. I have 1 or 2 crashes a day on my unit, have had Sprint look at it numerous times and they claim it's working just fine. I don't know about anyone else, but I find all of this to be very disappointing.
    PatrickAidan - Don't know why you're telling me all your troubles. I can do nothing for you. Take up your issues with PalmOne/Sprint or whoever might care.

If you are so upset, I'm sure you could get a nice price for your T-650 on Ebay and use the money to buy something else.

Outside of that, if you think 4 months is too long I suggest you get a developer's kit, make your own patch and show us all how easily it can be done .
    Last edited by darnell; 02/26/2005 at 07:31 PM.
    Too often, on the internet, the negatives take precedence. People rarely post, "Man this thing works great. Just wanted to tell everyone."

My opinion that as early adopters of new technology, we are the ones that find issues and good companies listen and make whatever changes are necessary. Once I followed the directions clearly for setting my 650, I have had no problems whatsoever. Are there things I wish they did better? Yes, but I wish I had to pay only $99.99 for the thing.

So here goes. I'm very happy with my 650 and all the issues that have occurred are no worse than I have experienced with any Palm OS device during the first couple of weeks. I'd say of the 20 or so Palm devices I've owned, this is the best. Well, not as easy to use as the Palm V, but close.
    1. Memory is becoming an issue for me. As I sit here waiting for a table at the House of Blues Orlando (Flogging Molly's playin' so I don't mind the wait :-)) I have three programs that are to blame: Snappermail, DateBook5, and my Contacts. None of those can be exported off an SD. Oh, I also enjoy Express and it won't function there either. So the SD card, while thoughtful, helps me none.
    2. BT volume issue. The mute trick doesn't always work on outgoing calls, and NEVER works on incoming for me.
    These are my two BIG complaints.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  13.    #13  
    PatrickAidan - Don't know why you're telling me all your troubles. I can do nothing for you. Take up your issues with PalmOne/Sprint or whoever might care.

If you are so upset, I'm sure you could get a nice price for your T-650 on Ebay and use the money to buy something else.

Outside of that, if you think 4 months is too long I suggest you get a developer's kit, make your own patch and show us all how easily it can be done .

Y'know, Darnell, your posts on other threads are a lot nicer in tone. Why do you have to get mean and sarcastic to those who don't agree with your assessment? Seems to be somewhat of a problem around here.

I do realize that this is the TreoCentral board, and that most people come here for help with solving TREO problems. Probably ain't the best place to complain (which somehow instantly becomes WHINING in the eyes of some folks). But think about it... This is a brand spankin new $400-700 phone (depends how you got it!), made by a big name company out there in Silicone Valley or wherever. This ain't the EdselLovers.com board, or the CorvairLovers.com board, where there is no more manufacturer to turn to, and any parts and fixes you are gonna find HAVE to come from the other users and fan networks and that sort of thing. PalmOne has just pretty much washed it's hands (Handsprings?) of all responsibility, and everybody seems to be saying that that's OK. That's why I wanted to post this poll, to somehow say to PalmOne, "It ISN'T OK for you to put this otherwise great telephone out there and not support it and not fix the issues you won't even admit exist anyway."

Now, let me go get in the old Edsel and blow this pop-stand..
    For the record I selected the 2nd option in your poll GWB .

My tone to PatrickAidan was not very nice because PatrickAidan's tone to my response was not very nice. So why should I care about PatrickAidan's problems when he's addressing me with his "angry face" and I'm not facing any of his problems?

I should save some of my posts so I can just cut and paste them when the Treo 700 comes out .
  15.    #15  
    LMAO!
    Last edited by GWB; 02/26/2005 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangemarlin
    My opinion that as early adopters of new technology, we are the ones that find issues and good companies listen and make whatever changes are necessary.
    What new technology does the T650 bring that we have to be considered "early adopters of the new technology"? PDA phones have been out for years. Kyocera 7135 palm phone, Ipaq PPC phones, and PalmOne's own Treo 600.
    My tone to PatrickAidan was not very nice because PatrickAidan's tone to my response was not very nice. So why should I care about PatrickAidan's problems when he's addressing me with his "angry face" and I'm not facing any of his problems? .
    I apologize, darnell, if my earlier post came of as an attack on you. This was not my intention. The 'angry face' was put there to show my frustration with the unit, not to show my anger with you. Having said this, I agree with GWB's post that we paid $400-$700 for a unit that should perform better (I paid $600).
  18.    #18  
    Well....pretty consistent so far..Hello, PalmOne, can you hear us NOW????? How about a little feedback, huh?
    F1 could care less what is said on this board.

They only care about sales to carriers. Carriers just care about you paying your monthly bill, and being able to occassionally make a call.

F1 does not release a lot of patchs (one or two for the 300, two for the 600), and when they do, they fix little.

I predicted that they would not release a real memory fix within a year, if at all. 5 months down, 7 to go. Easier for them to just put more memory in the next device.

We buy beta, and live with it, until the Treo 700.
    I got the Cingular 650 on February 2nd and have been frustrated since I opened the box. Outside of the confusion regarding dataplans and DUN mine simply continually failed when connecting to and syncing with my IMAP email using Versamail. For $450 I'm simply not convinced that the phone was production stable and therefore returned it. It may not have helped that I use a Mac and was unhappy with the sync situation (the Palm contact management application is far inferrior to the Apple OS X Address Book) and am also very much a power user when it comes to email.

Just one persons opinion and I know that many of you are very happy with your Treo 650's. I just cannot justify it. Maybe things will get better when/if Tiger iSync is more flexible and Palm fixes the Versamail issues.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast