View Poll Results: Does it matter to anyone what PalmOne says/does about the TREO 650?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think PalmOne did just fine with the TREO 650, and they don't need to say anything about anything

5 2.69%
  • PalmOne did fine with the TREO 650, but they need to address the problems that are cropping up

105 56.45%
  • There are significant problems with the TREO 650, and PalmOne needs to answer for them

76 40.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG
    ...I know that palmOne knows about what is going on, and the rank and file staffers really do want to help....

Alan, gotta ask.... HOW do you know this? Do you actually know some of the folks there? I get the thing about testing and retesting and that stuff, but why won't they tell anybody they're at least working on it???
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    As some of you already know, I am a moderator for another Palm OS board. I send in monthly status reports to the folks over at Palm. Occasionally, we get some feedback on specific issues from people who are working on the issues that get submitted.

I can't speak in specifics, but palmOnes does hear about these issues.

Alan G
    I'd like to throw in my $0.02 for "Generally good. Need to fix a couple ugly things"
    The SIM card thing sux hardcore but I tend to put some of the blame for that on Cingular/ATT. QA should have caught that.
    Also the missing/optional voice diailing thing. Come on... Pay extra for it? That's kinda sad.
    But overall, really nice piece of equipment. Hope there are some patches soon.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    As some of you already know, I am a moderator for another Palm OS board. I send in monthly status reports to the folks over at Palm. Occasionally, we get some feedback on specific issues from people who are working on the issues that get submitted.

Alan G
    Thanks for that information.

I, for one, really like my Treo 650, despite its flaws. (What electronic device doesn't have flaws.)

I'm on my second Treo 650: PalmOne was very responsive when I called about the problem I had with my first Treo 650 -- a misprint on the "4" key. They shipped me a brand new Treo 650 quickly.

Like many Treo 650 owners, I still have my Treo 600 sitting around. (Is it destined for eBay or another family member...don't know yet.) I've picked up my old Treo 600 a few times since getting the Treo 650 and I have to say that I could never go back. The Treo 650 is faster, the keyboard layout is easier to use, and the screen is much, much better. I can barely stand to look at my Treo 600's low-res screen now!

Alan G
    Sorry, AlanG. Simply not convincing. The only thing that they have ever even acknowledged is the memory problem and the only remedy that they have offered is an SD card so small (not to mention cheap) that no rational person would give up the slot for it.

P1 is no longer in the PDA business and we are no longer their customers. One cannot fault them for their choice of business plan and customers. If we can use the product that they produce for a different customer, fine. However, we should not kid ourselves that they listen to our concerns, much less that they will address them. "Occasionally, we get some feedback...." is not responsive.

I have gotten hundreds of times more help on the memory problem from those here than the problem has even gotten notice from P1. For example, one of the things that P1 did that aggravates the memory problem is to change the contacts DB and then duplicate it to maintain backwards compatibility. They have never mentioned that they had done that and that those of us who are up against the memory ceiling could trade off backwards compatibility for more free space. I owe it to those here to discover and disclose this.

I am sure that P1 cares big time what Sprint says and that Sprint gets daily feedback on their concerns. We owe the memory problem to P1's concern about Sprint; they admitted as much.

I am a great believer that one should "Never attribute to malice what can be easily explained as stupidity." I have really tried to give P1 the benefit of stupidity but they make it very difficult.
    AlanG - Thanks for letting folks know. Although some may take issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    The only thing that they have ever even acknowledged is the memory problem and the only remedy that they have offered is an SD card so small (not to mention cheap) that no rational person would give up the slot for it.
    However, we should not kid ourselves that they listen to our concerns,

OK, so P1 says there is a problem offers an SD Card that offers more space and is working on a fix. Yet you feel they don't listen to your concerns ...
  7.    #47  
    Whoopee! A $5 SD card! Been 4 months...no more word on this at all. Or about the sound stuff. Or about much of anything else. No, they aren't saying enough. Sorry.
    Without offering another actual fix does them saying anything else really matter?

Not to me. I'd rather they just offer up fixes when they have them ready. The lip service does nothing for me.
    They need to acknowledge valid customer complaints if they wanna stay in the business. They can't throw a meatless bone at you (128 MB card) and continue to ignore the real issues. This is not typical of manufacturers who rely on customer feedback to improve their products.
  10.    #50  
    Well, what if they decided that they CAN'T fix the file system? Then I guess you would prefer they don't bother to tell us this sad fact since no fix would ever be headed your way? Betcha that's what's happening anyway....
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Well, what if they decided that they CAN'T fix the file system? Then I guess you would prefer they don't bother to tell us this sad fact since no fix would ever be headed your way? Betcha that's what's happening anyway....
    Very much speculation.

All we know at this point is that they have said they can fix it and are working on it.

If they can't I'm still a happy T650 owner.

Come next earnings report I suspect they will show strong T650 sales and all the issues won't amount to hurting their sales much.

Bottom line is that this is a good device even with the issues.
    Thanks to customers who lowered their quality standard just to enjoy a pretty screen, they will probably be profitable.
    I have had less problems with the Treo 650 than I did with the Treo 600. Personally have NO issues to speak of, just minor bugs that I can live with. But like any responsible manufacturer, they should address some of the most serious issues that some people are having. If it can't be addressed by replacing the unit, then they need to deal with by announcing that it's not fixable (hardware) and offer a full refund, or that a software update is in the works at the miniumum. That's all any of us can ask for and all they're responsible for.
    Short of a very inefficient memory achetecture and lack of WiFi, I think the Treo 650 is awesome.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    "Occasionally, we get some feedback...." is not responsive.
    Keep in mind that I am not an employee of palmOne. I haven't signed a non-disclouse agreement, and that they don't have to tell me anything. My agreement with them was to send them reports of what is going on in the discussion forms. Nothing more. So, for what it's worth, I send them the info they are looking for. Your opinions are of course, your own.

Alan G
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123