View Poll Results: Does it matter to anyone what PalmOne says/does about the TREO 650?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think PalmOne did just fine with the TREO 650, and they don't need to say anything about anything

5 2.69%
  • PalmOne did fine with the TREO 650, but they need to address the problems that are cropping up

105 56.45%
  • There are significant problems with the TREO 650, and PalmOne needs to answer for them

76 40.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well PatrickAidan, since we're cool and all . I wonder if you can invoke the 1 year PalmOne warrantee via PalmOne instead of Sprint? Sounds like you probably need to get another and since the folks at Sprint are not acting right.... Just a thought, not sure if it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    1. Memory is becoming an issue for me. As I sit here waiting for a table at the House of Blues Orlando (Flogging Molly's playin' so I don't mind the wait :-)) I have three programs that are to blame: Snappermail, DateBook5, and my Contacts. None of those can be exported off an SD. Oh, I also enjoy Express and it won't function there either. So the SD card, while thoughtful, helps me none.
    Snappermail 2.0 is supposed to allow memory card storage (see feature #4). If that helps any.

mikec - I hear you brother! The history supports your view pretty good. Although one of the T600 patches did get SMS working. While introducing new problems. Sure wish I never installed that one .

This is life on the edge . (To anyone saying "what new technology" I say "why do you care about the T650 then?" . Must have something you can't get elsewhere. Or you would not be here.)

Given the memory problem is more an architectural matter than software issue IMHO I don't see how it will ever be properly "fixed". Not without some hardware changes. I'm thinking there might be some managers at PalmOne screaming "fix it, fix it", while the developers are sitting their saying "They wanted writable storage that did not die when the battery was pulled. We can't fix this with code."

Hope they can offer a patch that actually fixes problems without making new ones. But being a long time customer, I knew who I was dealing with .
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    ....Given the memory problem is more an architectural matter than software issue IMHO I don't see how it will ever be properly "fixed". Not without some hardware changes. I'm thinking there might be some managers at PalmOne screaming "fix it, fix it", while the developers are sitting their saying "They wanted writable storage that did not die when the battery was pulled. We can't fix this with code."

Hope they can offer a patch that actually fixes problems without making new ones. But being a long time customer, I knew who I was dealing with .
    Shadowmite, very early on,before his untimely "departure", declared on the memory topic:

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    ....I just don't like to see people badmouthing palm because their coders goofed... I know what it's like. Currently I'm cracking the DUN profile block at you can see in the bluetooth stack thread I began. Once I finish with that I'll get to looking at the memory handling.

It should be simply a case of re-writting the file system functions to decrease the block size. They probably copied some old PC filesystem code from linux and forgot to decrease the block size.
    See link...

That was in response to a statement like yours that the memory problem was one of hardware. Frankly, it sound to me like the new NVFS hardware made them screw up the software, in this case the block allocation. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Sad that even if "we know who we are dealing with...", obviously a negative statement, we still buy their product anyway.
    I keep buying their stuff because for me it does what I need the best despite the issues. And with each new device they do better than the last.

If you think the Treo 650 is bad, you should have seen the Treo 300 .

As much as I think I might be right about NVFS I really hope I'm wrong and that it can be fixed with a s/w patch.
    Plainely put:

Never had such a useful peice of electronic equipment that is both easy to use and in such a small form factor. Convergence has come a long was since my first Samsung I300...

IGo
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    Plainely put:

Never had such a useful peice of electronic equipment that is both easy to use and in such a small form factor. Convergence has come a long was since my first Samsung I300...

IGo
    You miss the point. The question is, do you care if PalmOne does anything about the problems some people are having with their TREO's?
    From my perspective, the memory problem borders on the tragic. After moving all my applications to the SD card and paring my contacts by a third and after careful consideration, I finally synched my applications. However, after doing so, I no longer have enough RAM left to browse the web. Worse than that, I no longer have enough to do another hot synch. Of course, none of the applications that are not in ram, e.g., splash-shopper, versa-mail, Avantgo, or e-wallet will sync at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible for me to get back to the 600?
    Anybody remember my posts a while back when the first Treo "Ace" specs leaked and I said it did not have enough RAM?

And some folks told me "oh don't worry about it" and "its no big deal". Well I don't mind saying I TOLD YOU SO AND EAT YOUR WORDS!!!

I can live with the issue. But I KNEW space was going to be a problem. Even if the full amount of space worked properly it would be a problem!

I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT!!!
  8.    #28  
    Anybody remember my posts a while back when the first Treo "Ace" specs leaked and I said it did not have enough RAM?

And some folks told me "oh don't worry about it" and "its no big deal". Well I don't mind saying I TOLD YOU SO AND EAT YOUR WORDS!!!

I can live with the issue. But I KNEW space was going to be a problem. Even if the full amount of space worked properly it would be a problem!

People who declared this loudly, like that guy dali lama, got booed off the stage for telling PalmOne to do something about that memory stuff. He was pretty "loud" if you can be loud on a message board, and was so bold as to tell them to recall the darn thing. Sounds like you early warning guys were on target....
    Hey, back then I was one that was being called a "crybaby" .

I even ran a poll back then and most people responded that they wanted 64MB OR HIGHER. (I offered choices of 32, 64, 128, 256, 512+).

Oh well, we do have free 128MB SD cards now .

I heard you; understood you. Hope triumphed. Now I am paying.

I understand that data expands to fill the storage available. One of the reasons that upgrade is to get a few months of slack. In this case I more constrained than I was before.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    People who declared this loudly, like that guy dali lama, got booed off the stage for telling PalmOne to do something about that memory stuff. He was pretty "loud" if you can be loud on a message board, and was so bold as to tell them to recall the darn thing. Sounds like you early warning guys were on target....
    And I will tell you what I told Specimen38. They just do not give a flying f.... They designed the 650 for new Sprint phone users, not Palm users.

I do not know what I am going to do now but, on balance, the 600 looks like a better design for me. I am not ready to give up Snapper-mail, e-wallet, and splashshopper, on top of the 900 contacts that I have thrown away, for a brighter screen (do not have any apps that seem to exploit the higher resolution), and BT that I do not use. Since I do not have enough memory to use Blazer, it is hard for me to weigh the value of EDGE.

In any case, throwing away otherwise useful information and applications in order to use a 650 seems very inefficient.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/28/2005 at 02:39 PM.
    Personally, I ain't buying one until they let us know that they are fixing the problems (and admit that there ARE problems....)
    Am I the only one enjoying the irony of the above statement coming from someone with George Bush as his avatar?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    I guess I have to say that the Treo 650 DOES have problems, but then again, so did my Treo 600. But the last week or so, I've had the phone turn off over and over, and often it freezes when I answer an incoming "call waiting" call, and about 1 time in 10 it freezes when I hang up (that button DOES say "Hang Up", not just "Hang", right? :-)

Anyway, I have to say that after one year of using my Treo 600, the 650's problems ARE a BIT worse - sure, the memory thing ranges from inconvenient to being a show stopper, DEPENING ON YOUR APPLICATIONS. But the thing that kicked me over the top in deciding to return it (and I got one of the unlocked GSM models at the $100 early "mistake" price) is that the phone is less dependable on T-Mo than my Treo 600. I can put up with a lot of workarounds on the Palm side, but I've GOT to have a phone I can count on. And the Treo 650 just misses that mark for me.

So, while I'm bummed about returning the Treo 650, I'm not at all against PalmOne, and I believe that after a few revs of the firmware, and maybe a hardware revision, I would certainly consider getting the Treo 650 again. I DO love that screen, that's for sure, and some of the little tweaks they made over the 600 are much appreciated. But for now, I'm heading back to the Treo 600 forums :-) and waiting for a "Rev.B" to show up on y'all's "Phone Info" screens!

Cheers!

..Chris..
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by busyba
    Am I the only one enjoying the irony of the above statement coming from someone with George Bush as his avatar?

Some of my Democrat friends have heard this rumor about the draft restarting....
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonCRG
    ...So, while I'm bummed about returning the Treo 650, I'm not at all against PalmOne, and I believe that after a few revs of the firmware, and maybe a hardware revision, I would certainly consider getting the Treo 650 again. I DO love that screen, that's for sure, and some of the little tweaks they made over the 600 are much appreciated. But for now, I'm heading back to the Treo 600 forums :-) and waiting for a "Rev.B" to show up on y'all's "Phone Info" screens!

Cheers!

..Chris..

That's the point, Chris! Nobody is "against" PalmOne, but this little TREO 650 needs to have those revisions you talked about. WHERE ARE THEY? Why is PalmOne being dead silent about 'em?
    That's the point, Chris! Nobody is "against" PalmOne, but this little TREO 650 needs to have those revisions you talked about. WHERE ARE THEY? Why is PalmOne being dead silent about 'em?

Mmmm...not sure that no one is "against" PalmOne. I HAVE read some of the posts here at TreoCentral But certainly most of the folks here love their Treos, or at least love/hate them, and wish for more responsiveness from PalmOne.

I've been in enough large companies to know that grassroots discussions, such as this one, may get to some of the developers or QA folks, but very rarely make it "up the chain" to the big dogs. Financial results, however, go straight to the top. Thusly, this time around, I just couldn't wait for eventual fixes to trickle down, so I voted with my dollars (by taking 'em back!). To semi-quote from the poll at the top of this thread, the ONLY way to get PalmOne to "answer for" the Treo 650 is to give them a question they can't ignore, such as "why are the returns of the Treo 650 sky high"?

..Chris..
    Well, I have been; this morning I was really upset. This afternoon, with help from a hero on another thread, I have sorted out most of my issues and am ready to lift the contract I had put out on them. That said, they have a lot to learn about customer relations.
    I just got my free 128MB SD card in the mail from PalmOne. So they are doing something to address the problems. And have said more is on the way.
    How did you get the free 128mb SD card? Haven't seen anything on this. Thanks. Jeff
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    What new technology does the T650 bring that we have to be considered "early adopters of the new technology"?
    The new memory system on the Treo 650 would be considered new for the Treo line. Coming up with a sure fire way to correct the issue with a software patch is a hard thing to do. There is development time, internal testing, beta testing, re-development time, re-testing time, re-beta testing, code corrections, and then packaging for general release.

I know that palmOne knows about what is going on, and the rank and file staffers really do want to help.

Alan G
    Quote Originally Posted by jignall
    How did you get the free 128mb SD card? Haven't seen anything on this. Thanks. Jeff
    128 MB Memory Card Ordering Instructions
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast