1.    #1  
    Is there any reason to buy PDANet when Shadowmite's DUN Hack is freely available?

What are the benefits if any?

All I want to do is occasionally connect to the internet with my pc when I'm away from my home or office network.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTechChik
    Is there any reason to buy PDANet when Shadowmite's DUN Hack is freely available?

What are the benefits if any?

All I want to do is occasionally connect to the internet with my pc when I'm away from my home or office network.
    Shadowmite's hack is for CDMA only, for one
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  3.    #3  
    Oops, I should have mentioned I am on Sprint CDMA.

Still, any benefits?
    Oops, I should have mentioned I am on Sprint CDMA.

Still, any benefits?

Works over BT and USB cable.
  5.    #5  
    Is there a reason to use the USB cable?

Is it faster? More stable?

I have bluetooth on my pc and it seems that it would be more convenient than hooking up a cable but I want to avoid the "cut off my nose to spite my face" thing later by learning the pros & cons now.
    I cannot speak from personal knowledge, but I am pretty sure that I read that PDAnet was slightly faster. Also, I am pretty sure it will be more stable as well. I never really understood the attraction of using the DUN in its current form except to avoid a small charge to buy PDAnet or for the philosophical reason of enabling a latent capability in the phone that, for some reason, Palm decided to not provide to the user.

Best,

Luvwine
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Luvwine, that's the kind of input I was looking for.

Can anyone who's used both confirm if PDAnet is faster and more stable?

If so, I have no problem buying it.

Ps. Does PDAnet have components that need to be installed on the PC as well? I think I heard that it does. I was hoping to avoid that so I could just use the 650 as a modem for any PC that I'm using as long as it has bluetooth.
    PdaNet does have a component installed on the PC.

As far as speed is concerned, mine consistently connects at 145. I have not used DUN so I'm not sure of the speed - perhaps someone else can enlighten us?

I use a retractable charge/sync cable to connet to my laptop - works slick, charges the 650 and packs away nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Shadowmite's hack is for CDMA only, for one
    Actually, the DUN patch has been developed for both the GSM and CDMA phones, and works on both.

The patch is completely stable if you follow the instructions completely and possibily get a little help from other at the forum who have done the same thing.

www.shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html

If you pay for a program that does this, you are paying for:

A) The USB cable tethering
    B) The ease of use and developer support
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually, the DUN patch has been developed for both the GSM and CDMA phones, and works on both.

The patch is completely stable if you follow the instructions completely and possibily get a little help from other at the forum who have done the same thing.

www.shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html

If you pay for a program that does this, you are paying for:

A) The USB cable tethering
    B) The ease of use and developer support
    OOPS! I thought it was for CDMA only! Sorry..

I guess I didn't pay attention because I have a GSM unlocked and never had to install.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    PDANet is also only for PC's or laptops running Windows; if you have a Mac or run Linux, PDANet won't help you. Ironically, PDANet is also of no use if you want to use another PDA (with Bluetooth, of course) for internet access using the Treo as a data connection.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Can anyone who's used both confirm if PDAnet is faster and more stable?
    I haven't used both, but I have PDAnet and have compared its bluetooth connection speed to its USB connection speed. Although I think in both cases the connection speed reported by Windows is 145kbps, actual download rates for a USB connection (on Sprint) are something like 110kbps, and for bluetooth something around 40kbps, in the same location with a good signal strength. For this reason, I almost always use the USB cable, because it's so much faster.

I'm curious if the bluetooth DUN patch goes faster than PDAnet's bluetooth rate, in which case it would actually be better than PDAnet, at least for bluetooth connections to the Internet. I had assumed the much slower speed using bluetooth in PDAnet was due to some inherent processing overhead in handling bluetooth and network connection at the same time, since bluetooth data rates are supposed to allow up to 1Mbps transfers. Of course, it may just be a crappy implementation of bluetooth by P1... look how much slower hotsyncs are over bluetooth than USB...
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I use PDANet. I paid for the upgrade rather thann use the DUN hack b/c some on this forum mentioned that the DUN requires more hands on to use. You have to tinker sometimes. Normally, I love to tinker with stuff, but there's enough issues with the 650 that if I can get a piece of software that JUST WORKS, I mean really just works as advertised, that's what I'm going to choose. And if there's one thing you can definately say about PDANet, it is that is flat out JUST WORKS. I don't know if it is faster, but it is fast. Don't even give a second thought to the PC installation compenent. Totally unintrusive really. Only time you have to fiddle with it is if you want to do a BT hotsync while running PDANet is loaded.
    Hey all... I have used the DUN from Shadowmite (thanks Shadow !!!!) .. works great once it is configured... granted if you need to reset you BT devices, you have to delete and reinstall the patch, but how many times do I need that once I have my BT devices set up (I have to keep my Cardo Scala 500 on all the time).
    Got to love it... Balinor