1.    #1  
    What is going on with versamail? I can connect to my college's unix server via just about anything using any email client. It supports pop, imap, ssl-pop, ssl-imap, etc. I can connect to gmail's POP3/SSl-pop with anything too, but Palm's versamail fails on both.

I've tried all supported protocols and my college's server can never be connected to, even though I can easily ssh to it from the 650. And gmail connects and then closes out. The 650's browser cant even render gmail's javascript so I get a scripting error if I visit gmail.com.

Don't tell me I need to shell out 30 or so buck for snapper mail if I want this thing to actually do email.
    no pda browser can render gmails javascript - not even windows pdas.

strange that you cannot connect over versamails and pop3 - works like a breeze over here. did you check all the settings listed on gmails help pages?
  3.    #3  
    Settings are correct.

I get connected and it closes the connection almost instantly and downloads no mail. There is mail on the server to download.

Can versamail be uninstalled/reinstalled?
  4.    #4  
    Fixed it. I had to change the pop settings at gmail to "enable pop for ALL mail" then I had to run versamail to fetch them. Still no fix for my university account. Its a HPUX machine running some pretty standard pop, sendmail, etc services. No matter what I try I get a connection time out. But I can ssh to the thing just fine. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by mandroid
    Still no fix for my university account. Its a HPUX machine running some pretty standard pop, sendmail, etc services. No matter what I try I get a connection time out. But I can ssh to the thing just fine. Any ideas?
    I had a hard time getting versamail to work with my University's system. Once I got it to work, it would only actually work every other try. It tended to work at night.

I finally got snappermail enterprise for the IMAP support for my personal web-based email account. After a certain update it started working flawlessly with the University account also.

Some suggestions:
    Try the university computer support. Ask them for ALL the information. My university doesn't use the normal/default ports that most email systems use for example

If all else fails sit down and try every possible setting/combination. It is frustrating and stupid, but just might work.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, I tried all variations and hit up the IT department and the admin who runs that server and they all think its versamail or the treo screwing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandroid
    Yeah, I tried all variations and hit up the IT department and the admin who runs that server and they all think its versamail or the treo screwing up.
    Hmm..in that case you might want to try Snapper. I never got versamail to work well with my university's system, but snapper works great.
    Chatter works great with my university's email. It acts almost like a crackberry with an IMAP server.