Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Quick Key to call voice mail from the phone app is 1 by default, and is the same key as E which I would like to use for something else (email). Unfortunately, Menu: Edit Favorites Button does not allow you to delete the voice mail Favorite or change the Quick Key.

In another thread, bcaslis explained how to delete that Favorite. Based on his information, I discovered how to change the Quick Key to something else. Sorry if this has already been revealed & discussed; my forum search did not turn it up.

- Obtain and launch freeware "FileZ" app.
    - Make a copy of PhoneFavorites2DB using BackupBuddyVFS or other app, just in case. (Note: FileZ claims to be able to make a copy, but it has a different size than the original so I am suspicious.)
    - Inspect "Internal" memory to find PhoneFavorites2DB.
    - Check box next to name and select Menu: Edit.
    - Try each item in the Record List, clicking on View until you find one that includes "Voicemail" in the right-hand column. Mine is record #10.
    - Click Close to go back one screen, then click Edit to modify that record.
    - You will notice that the last character in the first line of the left column is "e", corresponding to the "1" key. Other Favorites have their quick key (if any) listed in the same slot.
    - Click on that last character and change it to something else by pressing a keyboard button. NOTE: make sure it is not a key you have already defined for a different Favorite.
    - Hit Close button to back up to FileZ start screen, and go to Phone app.
    The new key you selected should now be listed as the Quick Key for Voice Mail.

In my case, I chose "v" for Voice Mail, and it shows up as "9" on the Favorites button, so that one still gets special treatment.

DISCLAIMER: This appears to work for me. TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible if you damage your phone or its contents.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
  2.    #2  
    Further inspection of PhoneFavoritesDB2 and comparison of Voice Mail with other entries reveals the following.

- offset 2: value 00 (default) means Quick Key is displayed as capital letter. Value 80 means option-key (number or symbol) is displayed.

- offset 3: value 00 (default) means Favorite can be deleted and quick key changed using Menu: Edit Favorites Button. Value 1B means Fav is protected against these changes.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Jeff,

That is awesome! Thanks a ton. Do you know if the text itself, i.e. 'Voicemail' is editable? Or would it need to be the same number of characters?

t
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    - offset 2: value 00 (default) means Quick Key is displayed as capital letter. Value 80 means option-key (number or symbol) is displayed.
    Call me stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to edit this value. Hex 80 is apparently the Euro symbol, but I can't enter it directly from the keypad in FileZ. Selecting the hex and entering '80' doesn't seem to work either. What am I missing?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    On the screen where you can edit an individual record, click on 2-digit hex values in the left hand column to select the desired pair (offset 0, 1, 2, etc.).
    Use the jeyboard to type the desired hex value (e.g., 80 in your case). The new value will replace the old one as soon as you type the second digit.
    Use the jeyboard to type the desired hex value (e.g., 80 in your case). The new value will replace the old one as soon as you type the second digit.
    When I try to enter '80' it ends up as 'FF' hex and '8' text. I just can't seem to get it to take '80' no matter what I try.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    When I try to enter '80' it ends up as 'FF' hex and '8' text. I just can't seem to get it to take '80' no matter what I try.

I get the same behavior with Filez 6.5
    I finally got TealMovr to make the change. I don't think your analysis of offset 02 is correct. I think that offset 02 being 80 tells the phone app that it is Voicemail.

Good thing I backed up my PhoneFavoritesDB first
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fiftyrocks
    I don't think your analysis of offset 02 is correct. I think that offset 02 being 80 tells the phone app that it is Voicemail.
    I tested in two ways, both successfully:
    - Made the Favorite for FileZ display '*' instead of 'Z'.
    - Made the Favorite for Voice Mail display 'V' instead of '9'
    (after earlier switch from '1' to '9').
    Voice Mail still works just fine.

I have a Cingular/GSM phone; maybe yours is different?
    Cool. All the edits work for me. Remember to hit the opt button to type numerics. Otherwise typing 80 really inputs C0.

Thanks Jeff.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/26/2005 at 03:43 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I tested in two ways, both successfully:
    - Made the Favorite for FileZ display '*' instead of 'Z'.
    - Made the Favorite for Voice Mail display 'V' instead of '9'
    (after earlier switch from '1' to '9').
    Voice Mail still works just fine.

I have a Cingular/GSM phone; maybe yours is different?
    must be different on Sprint.... when I changed offset 2 from 00 to 80, it turned that entry into Voicemail....

Oh well.... I'll look at it later.
    I'm on Sprint, and it works fine for me. Offset 2 of 80 displays '/', offset 2 of 00 displays 'Q'.
    Bob Meyer
    hmmmmmm

so I'm changing, for example, record 2.... the first bytes of the record look like:

00 02 00 00 00 01 00 63

I change it to:

00 02 80 00 00 01 00 63

Then I go to the phone app, and it has replaced whatever was in that record with a duplicate entry for Voicemail.

This works the same no matter what record I'm editing.

weird, eh?
    Last edited by fiftyrocks; 02/26/2005 at 07:51 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Strange -- I am now getting the same behavior. Last night I somehow managed to get an 80 in that slot.

HOWEVER: even with the value FF at offset 2, I still get the Quick Key displayed as option-letter instead of letter, so maybe any nonzero value will do.
    In any case, my goal was to get a letter rather than a number, so clearing offset 2 (i.e., setting it to 00) in the voice mail favorite works perfectly.
  15.    #15  
    I just figured out how to get 80 into offset 2 with the FileZ editor.
    - type 80.
    - FileZ displays FF.
    - Press Close.
    - Press View or Edit and offset 2 magically shows 80.
    The FF thing must be some FFileZ weirdness.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiftyrocks
    hmmmmmm

so I'm changing, for example, record 2.... the first bytes of the record look like:

00 02 00 00 00 01 00 63

I change it to:

00 02 80 00 00 01 00 63

Then I go to the phone app, and it has replaced whatever was in that record with a duplicate entry for Voicemail.
    Well, I'll be. You're right. I had only tried editing the original VoiceMail entry. When I went into an other entry and changed 00 to 80 (or FF, didn't try any others) it created a duplicate voicemail entry. And as long as offset 2 is 80, any changes you make (except the key assignment) will be replaced with the default voicemail settings the next time you launch the phone app.

So it doesn't appear this will let you assign numeric or opt-key symbols to favorites. OTOH, changing offset 2 to 00, and offset 3 to 80, will let you edit the voicemail button to be something else.
    Bob Meyer
  17.    #17  
    Changing offset 2 to 80 on a normal Favorite does *not* turn it into voice mail on my machine. The only noticeable effect is displaying the option symbol for that key.
    Jeff, fiftyrocks:

Are your's GSM or CDMA? Mine is CDMA. I wonder if that's the difference.
    Bob Meyer
    CDMA (Sprint)
    Going back and re-reading, I see Jeff has a Cingular phone. This must be one of the "custom" features Sprint added.
    Bob Meyer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast