1.    #1  
    I tried Smartmovie as an alternative to screwing with the various free downloads-settings issues others are dealing with, and it worked great on the demo.

However, the Smartmovie software on my Treo 650 keeps rejecting the license key the developer, lonelycatgames.com, verified as accurate. They have been no help since. Purchased and downloaded via Handango. Anyone have a similar problem and solution for this software besides a refund?
    Which license key? It's been awhile since I installed the program. Don't you have to use the unlock converter in Palm side app to get an unlock key for the desktop? Trigger my memory and I may be able to help. I use the program a great deal and it works great. I have started ripping my DVD's using PocketDVD and then running them through SmartMovie converter on my desktop. It generally gets the file sizes from around 500mb down to around 150mb. Plus, I have not had an issue with audio/vide sync using SmartMovie to play my videos.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Which license key? It's been awhile since I installed the program. Don't you have to use the unlock converter in Palm side app to get an unlock key for the desktop?
    I have a 5 digit code(license key) that came in the purchase email from Handango, and that is supposed to be plugged into the 'unlock converter" to generate a key to unlock the player. Where is the Palm side app? I believe this the "unlock converter" that does not showup anywhere in the software that I can find, and I have looked all through smartconverter and in smartmovie itself. I will look again through the various unzipped folders. I remember that there is a dta file I can't open, maybe that is it. Know what app opens a dta file type?

Thanks for your input so far, I would hate to give up on a great player.

BTW, do you experience a slight hesitation on playback? What settings do you use to encode in pocketDVD?

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink
    I have a 5 digit code(license key) that came in the purchase email from Handango, and that is supposed to be plugged into the 'unlock converter" to generate a key to unlock the player. Where is the Palm side app? I believe this the "unlock converter" that does not showup anywhere in the software that I can find, and I have looked all through smartconverter and in smartmovie itself. I will look again through the various unzipped folders. I remember that there is a dta file I can't open, maybe that is it. Know what app opens a dta file type?

Thanks for your input so far, I would hate to give up on a great player.

BTW, do you experience a slight hesitation on playback? What settings do you use to encode in pocketDVD?

Thanks!!
    Unlock Code Converter is a main menu listing when I start SmartMovie on the Treo. As I remember, I had to use that feature to get a code to unlock the desktop app so it was not a demo.

I will have to check my settings in PocketDVD. I encoded about a dozen a month or so back and have not done any since. I will check and post tomorrow.
  5.    #5  
    Well, that clears things up. the unlock converter option is simply not available in the current edition of smartmovie and the developer tech support is not up to speed. Can you tell me what version of smartmovie you have?

Now the only smartmovie option is "Register", and this rejects the code to remove the demo function and create a new code for the converter.

I'll try again with their tech support before I give up. Thanks for your help and in advance your settings for conversion!
    Here are screenshots of my settings for PocketDVD and SmartMovie Converter for the movie I am doing right now. The movie is "Friday Night Lights" and is in widescreen. So, I use the stretch feature in Pocket DVD to make it fill the screen a little better on the Treo. The file size is a little larger than I normally have, but when I run it through SmartMovie converter it will be around 192mb. And as I stated before, unless something changes, the audio/video sync will be perfect when playing on SmartMovie.

My current version of SmartMovie is 2.60. SmartMovie Converter for the PC is 2.63.

Pocket DVD is version 3 Build 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnH59; 02/26/2005 at 11:13 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Aha!! The version of Smartmovie that is currently (as of last Tuesday) downloading from Handango is 2.72. Therefore, there is a a bug in the registration that they need to fix. I alerted them to the issue yesterday. However, their tech support should know what version is being downloaded from a major vendor like Handango, and be on top of fixing problems for a flagship model like the 650. Ok, enough ventin! Thanks so much for your help. I'll update the post when (hopefully, not if) the Lonelycatgames.com resolves the issue for 650 users of the new software. I wonder where I could get the prior version?

Thanks again,
    Rinkeedink
    Let me know if they don't get you taken care of.
    I've got 2.72 and managed to get it unlocked and working. The process is definitely not obvious and I tried different things before finally getting it to work. My apologies but it was way into the wee hours so may not remember exactly what I did. I believe it was:

Enter the Registration key you got from lonelycatgames via the Handango order via the Register option on the Palm app. That should take it out of demo mode. Assuming that worked, the same menu option becomes "Unlock Converter" (which is what mine says now).

Now you can go about unlocking the PC converter app by following the instructions at http://www.lonelycatgames.com/mobile...onv_unlock.htm (which I found just now).

Hope it helps.
    Actually, I think that is exactly how it worked for my 2.60 version. I had to put the code in the Palm App first, then the Unlock Converter option in the menus did become available.

I first set mine up around 2:00 to 4:00am, so I wasn't remembering everything either. I need to make note of that somewhere in case I have to reinstall.
    Sounds like my experience. Having been frustrated with mmPlayer's GUI flakiness, I was anxious to try SmartMovie and stayed up way past the brain shutdown threshold just to get it working.
    Yeah, I never could get the audio/video sync with mmplayer. Plus, now with encoding with Pocket DVD and then running the .avi file through SmartMovie converter, the audio/video is in sync and the file size is considerably smaller with any loss of quality. I'm glad I took the time to get things figured out. I have noticed that my setting for Pocket DVD do changed depending what format of DVD I am encoding. I don't like widescreen on the Treo. I have not been able to get those to use as much of the screen as I would like.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000

Enter the Registration key you got from lonelycatgames via the Handango order via the Register option on the Palm app. That should take it out of demo mode. Assuming that worked,

Hope it helps.
    You must have the magic touch. Unfortunately, I did exactly that and already checked their helppage you listed. Plus, they verified the code as correct. I have uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled it so many times thinking I had some bug, that Handango now asks for my cc# every time! Lonelycatgames.com has not responded in several days.

But thanks for racking your brain! My install was also a bleary-eyed late night affair, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
    Sorry to hear that. My last guess/suggestion is to use a file manager to delete SmartMovie Data.prc, SmartMovie.prc, and XviD video codec.prc . My guess is that a normal uninstall doesn't delete SmartMovie Data.prc and that's the root cause of your problem.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Sorry to hear that. My last guess/suggestion is to use a file manager to delete SmartMovie Data.prc, SmartMovie.prc, and XviD video codec.prc . My guess is that a normal uninstall doesn't delete SmartMovie Data.prc and that's the root cause of your problem.
    Yeah, I've been doing that with Filez, to no avail. Only thing I haven't tried is a hard reset, but that seems like overkill.
    Thanks!