approximately three weeks from now. With the growth of wireless
    Internet applications and the rapid spread of web-enabled PDAs, we
    feel that we can best serve our customers by focusing on the
    creation of new features for our wireless payments platform."
    Originally posted by PaulD:
    .....rapid spread of web-enabled PDAs, we
    feel that we can best serve our customers by focusing on the
    creation of new features for our wireless payments platform."
    This doesn't make sense. They use the term "web-enabled PDAS". Doesn't that include modem dial-ins and wireless????

I don't understand. Aren't they biting the hand that feeds them????

I don't foresee using a wireless Springboard in the near future. I would, however, consider a modem Springboard if the need arose for me to access the web remotely.

Perhaps they are coming out with a PQA that accomplishes their purpose? I don't know; I was perfectly content beaming money . . .
    I sent them an email letting them know that I was closing my account because of this, and that I was sad to see a company ignoring us PDA users!

Ryan
    As far as long-term strategies go, I think PayPal is doing the right thing. Sooner or later, all PDAs will be wireless and it just makes sense to centralize the technology in a web based form.

That said, I can't see it being TOO hard to maintain their current PDA software, but my guess is that their are infinitely more transactions on the web (ie eBay) than via beeming, so it simply made more sense to concentrate on the web.
  6.    #6  
    But Homer, sooner or later, most (ok, many) apps will be voice activated, but you can still get a keyboard.

I think it's just lameness on their part. I can sure live without beaming money, but it's kind of frustating, "going wireless" is a copout in this case, I feel.
    Paul, I think the key is in the last sentence.

"With the growth of wireless Internet applications and the rapid spread of web-enabled PDAs, we feel that we can best serve our customers by focusing on the creation of new features for our wireless payments platform."

One of the major investors in x.com, the company that that recently acquired paypal, is wireless phone manufacturer Nokia. Enough said.
  8. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I thought the PayPal Palm software was a nice idea, but I never really used it, mostly because they never delivered a MacOS conduit for it. It's hard to miss something you never used.