1.    #1  
    All of my international numbers are stored in the format of "+" "2 digit country code" followed by the phone number.

Is there some software that will force the CDMA Treo to automatically insert "011" in front of any phone numbers starting with "+"? Rumor has it that the GSM version automatically picks up on the "+" sign and dials an international call. BTW, the workaround is to change all of your stored international phone numbers to have an "011" in front of them but then if I convert to a GSM phone these numbers won't work when I travel overseas.
    I don't think you have to do this. I imported all my numbers from a Treo 600 into a Sprint Treo 650. Every US number in there was +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx and they worked and dialed fine. My only problem was when sending an SMS, I had to remove the +1 from the SMS message otherwise it didn't seem to do through.

I didn't try to dial an international number but I suspect it might have worked.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Nope....doesn't work for international dialing. None of my international numbers work. And yes, my account is authorized to make international calls as I manually dial them all of the time.
    Hmmm, sorry to hear that. I don't have my Sprint anymore. I looked at the GSM dialing preferences but I don't see anything there to help with international dialing. I don't remember if there was anything on Sprint but I don't think so.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea, but I can't think of one outside editing the phone numbers. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by SofTTware
    Nope....doesn't work for international dialing. None of my international numbers work. And yes, my account is authorized to make international calls as I manually dial them all of the time.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    My workaround is to:

1. go into contacts
    2. find the person I want to call
    3. view and then "edit" the contact
    4. "copy" the international number
    5. go to "home"
    6. bring up memo
    7. create a new note
    8. "copy" the number into the note
    9. add the "011" international dialing prefix
    10. use RNS::TST to highlight and dial the phone number
    11. delete the note.

This is a freakin' joke to have to do this. 11 steps to make a phone call!
  6. Cas
    Not to hijack your thread SofT but how do you send a international SMS? I have sprint and am trying to SMS a UK mobile... I tried using 01144 then the number (exactly as I would dial it from a land line) and it does not seem to work, any tips?
    Has anyone discovered a fix for this Yet?
    This has to be the most idiodic oversight for a so called Global Phone.
    There must be at least a after market program out there to address international calling without having togothrough those 11 steps.
    BTW, the workaround is to change all of your stored international phone numbers to have an "011" in front of them but then if I convert to a GSM phone these numbers won't work when I travel overseas.
    I don't travel overseas often so excuse my ignorance, but is dialing "011" before an international number U.S. specific? Does each country have a different way to dial internationally? I know the two digit country codes ARE standard, but do you have to dial something besides 011?

If that is the case, then if you have a GSM phone in Italy and have stored a number with a "+" before it, does the phone automatically know what code to dial in Italy to get an international connection?

Suppose you have a lot of British numbers in your phone with "+44" and then you take the phone TO Britian. If you dial it, will the phone be smart enough to know that this is no longer an international call?
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    Suppose you have a lot of British numbers in your phone with "+44" and then you take the phone TO Britian. If you dial it, will the phone be smart enough to know that this is no longer an international call?
    With GSM the phone "knows". I have all my phone and mobile numbers entered with + and country code.
    On the GSM phones the "+" gets interpreted by the network and converted to whatever the international dialling code is for the country you are in.

It's smart enough to know that if you are in the UK and you have +44 in front of your numbers it simply drops the +44.

This works great if you use the phone in many different countries as I do, you simply store all your phone numbers in the true international format and never have to bother remembering if it's 0011, 001, 011 etc to dial internationally.

This has been a feature of GSM for as long as I can remember.

International SMS - nothing special done for GSM - simply send it to the number.

As to why the SPRINT phone/network can't do it would be something to ask Sprint.... can you do it on a phone on the Sprint network that isn't a TREO ?

Geoff
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Try TAKEphONE at www.shsh.com. I'm pretty certain it will allow you to do this. It is s must have app for the Treo if you ask me (and a lot of other people) as it triples the functionality of the phone aspect of the Treo. The developer has a forum in the Developers Corner section here on TC if you need additional help.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  12.    #12  
    My workaround is to:

1. go into contacts
    2. find the person I want to call
    3. view and then "edit" the contact
    4. "copy" the international number
    5. go to "home"
    6. bring up memo
    7. create a new note
    8. "copy" the number into the note
    9. add the "011" international dialing prefix
    10. use RNS::TST to highlight and dial the phone number
    11. delete the note.

This is a freakin' joke to have to do this. 11 steps to make a phone call!
    I now have a much easier way than what I posted earlier....still too many steps but not 11!

First of all, nuke RNS::TST. Nice try to the developer but there are better apps out there.

I now use FieldPlus which you can get from here click to d/l FieldPlus

Here is what I now do for international calls:

1. go into contacts and find the person I want to call
    2. view and then "edit" the contact
    3. "highlight" the international number using FieldPlus (shift + 5-button key moving across the number)
    4. bring up a "dial" dialogue BOX (shift + 5-button center button)
    5. move the cursor to the beginning of the number and add the "011" international dialing prefix
    6. click on dial to call the number

Interestingly, when you see the phone dialing the number, it brings up this contact person's name so the software is definitely sensitive to parse out the 011 prefix and find the name based on the actual number (and my int'l. #'s are all stored with a "+" sign).

You can return to phone log to redial with one click if you need to redial the number.

This is still 6 steps which is also a joke...I call internationally all the time so I am very motivated to find the least amount of steps to dial a number!

Good luck and post any questions.

P.S. I don't use a dial "overlay" program because they can be too invasive. FieldPlus is about as benign of an application out there that has to interact with another application. BTW, I have found MANY other great uses for FieldPlus such as being able to dial ANY edit-able number stored on your Treo using the above steps (e.g. I store many numbers in Outlook "notes" associated with to do's, calendar and contact items and just memos).
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cas
    Not to hijack your thread SofT but how do you send a international SMS? I have sprint and am trying to SMS a UK mobile... I tried using 01144 then the number (exactly as I would dial it from a land line) and it does not seem to work, any tips?
    The great thing about FieldPlus is that there is an option to dial OR send an SMS when you invoke this dialogue box! I have not tried sending and int'l sms though by just adding the 011 prefix followed by the mobile phone #....I'll try it soon and post results.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Still way more steps than would be required with TAKEphONE but to each his own...
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I have to second takephone with a calling card feature. It works like a charm and is much cheaper all around. Don't have to do a thing. I have it setup for two calling cards. One is in-us which does the translation from 011 number to 1 212 - xxx - yyyy pause pause 011 international number so I can use calling cards and the other calling card just does a substitution of 011 to + so if I am outside the us, I can just direct dial that number. works perfectly.

/v
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cas
    Cas, sorry for the "late response" but was looking at an old post and saw your question on SMS. My answer is that I routinely send sms messages to my international contacts in the A/P and European countries and it works great. I use the format 011 plus the 2-digit country code followed by the number. Make sure if you are sending SMS to Europe that you drop the (0)....that could be your problem.

Good luck.
    Yep... Another vote for Takephone. I've been using the calling card feature here as well. I set it up and it knows to automatically dial all 011 international calls via my real cheap international calling card.

Shimon did a terrific job with this app!
    Okay, maybe I'm missing something here. But all I have to do call an international call from my contacts is to put the international number in my contact like this:

International Code - Country Code - Area Code - Local Number

Example:
    011-01-02-123-4567

Dialing from my contacts will dial exactly as put in. Also, at least with Verizon, no 1+ is needed for any domestic calls, so I don't have any numbers with a 1 in front of them.
    SIMPLE SOLUTION:

Add another telephone number for the same party with the 011 prefix. I use this option when I call my friends while I am in the USA. I also have their local telephone numbers in my contact list so that I can call them when I am visiting their respective countries.

Stalker768