1.    #1  
    I'm wondering how many of you out there use a Linux OS desktop to sync with your Visor. If you do, what kind of PIM do you use, and have you had any problems syncing. I've been syncing with my laptop via the IR port (using SyncBeam); is there similar support in Linux for IR communication with the Visor?
    I've been using my Visor with a Linux desktop machine since day one I use the pilot-link tools plus the Visor USB driver for connectivity. That allows me to transfer databases and do complete backups of everything in the Visor via the USB cradle. You can find all the gory details of how to set this up here. The only real challenge is that you'll need better USB support than what is found in any of the 2.2.x kernels so I had to build a new 2.2.14 kernel using the USB backport patches (links are on the site mentioned above).

I haven't experimented with IrDA on Linux, but it should work. The pilot-link tools want a serial device driver but don't care what the physical hardware is.

As for a Linux PIM, I've tried J-Pilot and it seems to work nicely. It's user interface is a clone of the Palm Desktop. However, I've found that I have absolutely no need for a desktop PIM. Everything's in my Visor and my Visor is always at my side ... why waste CPU cycles running software that does the same thing?
    I use my Visor with Linux as well, both at home and at work (serial at home, USB at work). I, also, have not tried the IrDA support, but I don't see why it should not work.

Jpilot is good, as is kpilot, if you're into that bastardized QT rubbish . I just use a combination of the pilot-link suite and a few shell scripts to do all I need. I keep most of my data on the VIsor without the use of a PIM anyway... those things are for managerial types and other pinheads. *snicker*

------------------
    "The tree of liberty must occasionally be watered by the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
  4.    #4  
    What about email handlers? Do you have any problems syncing your email with your Visor? (I'm currently using Eudora, both on my desktop and on my Visor, because I need to use the Kerberos utility.)

Originally posted by virgilio:
    What about email handlers? Do you have any problems syncing your email with your Visor? (I'm currently using Eudora, both on my desktop and on my Visor, because I need to use the Kerberos utility.)
    I don't exactly "sync" my email. I have a Visor email account on our POP3 server and any mail that I want to have on my Visor I just forward to that address. I use LinkUSB to give the Visor a PPP connection to the local network (or dial in with the modem when I'm on the road) and then grab the mail with the Visor's POP3 client. I use ProxiMail, but I tested Eudora and it worked too.

I think there may be a J-Pilot plug-in to sync your mbox with the Visor's email DB, but 99% of my email I don't want taking up space on my Visor, so I've never checked it out.