1. lms
    I experienced the whole reset / lock / get a new SIM thing, and I believe that for some folks, there is a bit more to it than just swapping the SIM. If you got a non-Gemplus SIM and it didn't fix your reset problem, you might want to read this.

My theory is that besides the SIM having problems themselves, they are contributing somehow to the corruption of files on the treo. So, if the corrupted files are still there when you put the new SIM in, it still might not work for you until you eliminate the corrupted files. No, I don't know what files you should look at but here's why I believe it and here's how I solved it:

With the Gemplus SIM, my 2nd 650 worked fine after hard resets - phone, VM number, versamail, web surfing. As soon as I would do that first hot synch after a hard reset, I got all of the problems we're seeing. This was with nothing installed on the desktop but what's on the treo 650 cing install CD, and not even any data entries in the palm desktop's apps.

So, I went to Cing and got a Axalto SIM. Put it in and it didn't solve the problems, but I refused to believe it and left the store with it anyway. I did a hard reset and it all worked fine. So then I did another hotsync, with that same "nothing" on the desktop. The resets start showing up immediately.

In my last act of desperation before ordering a blackberry, I uninstalled the palm desktop, and (here's the key part), moved the data directory out of there, and then reinstalled from CD. Hard reset my 650, and did the first hotsynch. It's working like a champ now.

My theory is that the gemplus card hosed some file on the device (I don't know when), the next hot synch brought that file up to the desktop, and then subsequent hotsyncs after hard resets brought that file back down to the device.

So, the moral of this long story is, if the card swap doesn't solve your reset problems, try starting with freshly installed desktop with NO REMNANTS OF YOUR PREVIOUS SYNCS, and then follow the advice on other threads about loading little bits of things at a time and running for a while before loading the next thing.

Larry
    This is awesome advice, Larry. It is a pain to have to do it, but necessary. A clean install requires removal of the old directory. When you do a reinstall, a clue that you haven't done a clean install is when it comes time to specify your hotsync name, it already knows what it is. It is reading it from the old directory. If you delete/rename the old directory and start fresh, the install process won't know what your name is, so you will have to recreate it.

A clean install is a great idea. I also got BackupBuddyVFS and did a backup right after the first hotsync, so I can get back to a "clean state" if I need to. Using the Checkpoint feature, I did checkpoints after every major app install so I could go back if I needed to.

Good advice Larry!!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Larry,

Right on target--I caught the same solution in another thread last night (not as succinctly stated, however).

Todd/Indy
    I've had my Cingular 650 for a little over a week. About three or four days into having it the resets started. They were when I would try to use Versamail going to it from Agendus. Then they started happening all sorts of crazy times. I literally cannot use Versamail now without it resetting. I installed snappermail and it worked fine, but that doesn't exactly instill confidence does it...

I checked the SIM and it is and "A" card. I do believe it started happening after my first hotsync. The idea that it is related to a file being corrupted or sync'ed incorrectly makes sense to me.

I'm going to try the clean install but am not exactly clear about the procedure. What I understand is that on the computer I am getting rid of everything and starting from scratch. What isn't as clear is what to do on the phone... Is it just that the clean install of the palm desktop will overrite everything on the Phone?

[sidebar: I really wish I did not have to sync with a computer at all even for installations or backup. I find it a cumbersome way to have to backup and install software. My email is all imap so I don't need to sync it, agendus on the 650 is my primary organizer, I backup automatically to the SD card and as long as I can swap them out and have an 'off-phone' spare I'd be fine. Is the BackupBuddy VFS mentioned earlier in this thread the best 'local' backup for the 650? ] Thanks GZ
    Last edited by gatezone; 03/04/2005 at 07:49 PM.
    I read the information more carefully (duh...) and see the hard reset of the phone. I guess my only question is how do I restore contact and appointment information if the sync is corrupted and the files on the 650 are corrupted by previous hotsyncs.

Called Cingular smartphone support and they suggested going to the smaller capacity sim from the one I have now. CS rep clucked about there being too many issues with 650 which makes the caller feel real smart for buying one. What else is new... hanging on the bleeding edge. -GZ
  6. lms
    GZ;

My experience (YMMV) is that it's unlikely your contact info is what's currupting things, and it's easy once you have the first clean hotsynch to just put your contacts into place, and then do another hot synch to bring them down to the phone. Here's how:

In the palm desktop, go to tools->options. The dialog that comes up will show where your data is kept (data directory).

Go to that directory, and under there will be a directory with a mutation of your hot synch name. Under that directory is an address directory. Copy the files address.dat, uiprefs.dat an any .dba files off to a safe place. Then do your clean desktop install. After the desktop install, take those files you saved off and put them back into that address directory. Start up the palm desktop and make sure the contacts are ok, then on the next synch they'll go down to your phone.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I would also delete the palmOne directory in the Windows registry (if that applies) just make sure everything is cleared out from the OS perspective, then do the re-install. I did this same procedure with the Gemplus SIM card and it stopped many of the problems I had experienced, but I did swap out the SIM just to be safe. Just to quickly recap...

Uninstall palmOne software
    Delete palmOne directory from registry
    Delete any remnants of the palmOne directory from the C:\Programs directory
    HARD reset the 650
    Re-install the palmOne software
    HotSync

Good luck,
    Lou
  8. lms
    Nice summary lou.
    I've gotten some errors on my 650 saying something about the SIM card and an error code. Since Cingular thinks I have a cheap flip phone, how do I get them to give me a new sim card? I have a Gemplus card now and I don't want to go through the whole process mentioned above and then gave the same things happening because of the card. I have a number of resets during each day, when I sync my calendar, and some new events I put in my calendar on the computer don't make it to the Treo.
    So, what should I do?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Just want to thank all of you for the info. I've owned two 600's and bought a 650 on saturday. I have spent three days dealing with Cingular. I found this thread, followed the instructions, and presto it's working (for the moment). I deleted EVERYTHING Palm related and started afresh from scratch, so I don't know what people do who are trying to sync their old data. I haven't got that far yet. But at least I can get my voice mail! Thanks again Using Mac OSX 10.3.
    Same here. Swapped a "G" sim for an "A" sim on my 650 and had a reset in less than 10 minutes after the swap. Did a hard reset, reinstalled only my vital 3rd party apps, and my 650 has been an angel since.
    lms,

When dealing with hard resetting your Treo and clearing out the data on your desktop pc, how do you get all of the data stored in 3rd party apps back onto your Treo? Do you have to manually re-enter all of them?

In my case, I'm using SplashID and do not want to manually re-enter all of those entries.

Thanks, in advance.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    lms,

When dealing with hard resetting your Treo and clearing out the data on your desktop pc, how do you get all of the data stored in 3rd party apps back onto your Treo? Do you have to manually re-enter all of them?

In my case, I'm using SplashID and do not want to manually re-enter all of those entries.

Thanks, in advance.
    I manually reinstalled the desired apps after the hard reset. I quit using SplashID before this happened as I found it hard to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    I manually reinstalled the desired apps after the hard reset. I quit using SplashID before this happened as I found it hard to use.
    It's probably too late, but you can export your SplashID data to a seperate file on your PC, then import it back after the hard reset/reinstall.
    Imos posted ..... "In my last act of desperation before ordering a blackberry, I uninstalled the palm desktop, and (here's the key part), moved the data directory out of there, and then reinstalled from CD. Hard reset my 650, and did the first hotsynch. It's working like a champ now." And Loouloou posted ....."I would also delete the palmOne directory in the Windows registry (if that applies) just make sure everything is cleared out from the OS perspective, then do the re-install."

Maybe this is actually in Imos' post #6 and I just don't know enough about the software to understand, but could someone provide more about specific files or file types we would need to remove? These software issues shouldn't exist to begin with, but "playing" with the software is a little overwhelming for us novices.
    Quote Originally Posted by lms
    So, the moral of this long story is, if the card swap doesn't solve your reset problems, try starting with freshly installed desktop with NO REMNANTS OF YOUR PREVIOUS SYNCS, and then follow the advice on other threads about loading little bits of things at a time and running for a while before loading the next thing.

Larry
    In my case Cingular's "Product Management Group" was knowledgeable and saved my ****. They had me first do a hard reset, switch the SIM card, do another hard reset, uninstall my Palm desktop software (upgraded from a previous Palm system), do a clean install without upgrading and then hotsync. I did not go into my computer's registry to delete any files. I then beamed over my address book from my old Sony Clie instead of upgrading from the old system. Everything else was freshly installed. I have had two problems since then that I attribute to Versamail. Otherwise, it has been smooth sailing so far.

My advice is not to speak to Cingular's regular phone tech support agents but directly call their "Product Management Group" at 866-490-2666.Their hours are 8 AM-11 PM Monday -Friday & 9 AM-9 PM on Saturday (closed on Sunday). Their PMG who are trained to assist with new high end products seem to be the only ones at Cingular that are well versed on the 650 and will offer sound advice. IMHO, if you speak to anyone else at Cingular, you are wasting your time.