1.    #1  
    I suspect this has been discussed, but I'm not finding it...

Is there any way to suppress the hum/static/buzz/growl/screech I get from my desktop speakers when my 650 is transmitting GPRS? Does everyone get this, or is it unique to my speakers? I use chatter, so the noise is very frequent.

I don't have enough desk real estate to move the Treo more than 2-3' away from the speakers. BTW, the speakers are a decent quality self-powered pair, about 7-8 years old. Would newer speakers have shielding/suppression that might help?
  2.    #2  
    Am I the only one experiencing this? If so, I'm off to buy a new pair of speakers...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    It's a common problem with phones on the 850MHz band. Get a pair of shieded speakers and you won't hear the sound any more.
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
  4.    #4  
    Thanks.
    if that doesnt work try getting shielded cables.. like monster or some other brand.
    this happens to me too. must not have shielded speakers...
    mine are shielded.. it still happens
  8.    #8  
    As a test, I disconnected my powered speakers and connected the (lousy) ones internal to my Viewsonic LCD monitor. Voila, no more noise. Not enough info to rule out the problem being with the speakers being self-powered (as opposed to unshielded), but based on the feedback above, it must be the latter.

[edit: mistersleepy, I posted this before seeing your last response^. So maybe it is about being self-powered? I've noticed however that volume setting is irrelevent--noise comes through at the same volume regardless of volume being high, low or off. This seems to point to shielding being the problem, I believe.]
    Last edited by reguy; 02/25/2005 at 03:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I actually like that noise for some reason...
  10.    #10  
    Well, my mother always said "it takes all kinds to make the world go-round"

In all seriousness, though, it's so loud I find it hard to carry on a phone conversation.
    This is the case with all GSM / TDMA phones. If you want to shield it you need to shield your entire speaker and wires. Or shield your entire phone. That wont look too pretty though.
    I had horrible buzzing in my computer speakers whenever my Treo was nearby. I created a little "hat" out of aluminum foil a few layers thick that fits over the antenna. Whenever my Treo is near my computer, I put on its hat and the buzzing is eliminated (or greatly reduced). It seems to have no effect on GSM/GPRS reception.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333
    I had horrible buzzing in my computer speakers whenever my Treo was nearby. I created a little "hat" out of aluminum foil a few layers thick that fits over the antenna. Whenever my Treo is near my computer, I put on its hat and the buzzing is eliminated (or greatly reduced). It seems to have no effect on GSM/GPRS reception.
    How about posting a picture of your Treo with its "hat" on? This I gotta see!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I have/had the same phenomenon with both my 650 and my old Motorola v60i GSM phone. I'd get noise from computer speakers, my landline phone headset at work, even over the speakers of my girlfriend's crappy stereo when the phone was nearby.

The cool thing was that the noise would kick in a few seconds before the phone rang, so I had a bit of advance notice of an incoming call.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Believe it or not ... this little amount of aluminum foil, 2-3 layers thick, reduces the interference on my computer speakers by about 80%.

And it is the height of handheld fashion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bahahaha! A prophilactic for your treo... I love it!
    I have the same problem...buzz sounds through landline phone that sits on the desk - also through stereo that sits under desk. Haven't noticed it through computer speaker - this machine has only the integrated speakers.

Haven't tried foil approach. Thought that only worked with alien voices.