1.    #1  
    I think this a new issue as I have searched for the issue on the board.
    My 650 will no longer play sound over the speaker for apps. This effects Real Player, Voice Dial, games, etc. However, the sound works for phone functionality including the ringer.
    The sound will work for apps over the earpeace as well.
    I believe that I have tried every possible option to turn it on. I took it to the Sprint store and they could not figure it out either.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix it?
    Thanks in advance.
    I am on my second 650 that has this same problem. I returned the first one because of the problem. I am unsure whether to return this one, since it seems to affect most 650s, or at least all of mine. For me the problem is from connecting anything to the headphone/headset jack. The 650 for some reason thinks that something is still plugged in to the jack, even when nothing is plugged in there. Some have reported fixing the problem by blowing canned air into the jack, but it does not work for me.
    Make sure your system sounds are on in prefs->Sound&Alerts->General->System Mode
    and your mute switch is off.

That said I had a similar problem to the one your describing. Basically all my system sounds quit working over the speaker but worked with a connected earpiece. There were a few select beep errors that would play on the main speaker. I was also able to make the "Welcome to Sprint" screen make some noise by pressing ##786# to connect vs holding down the phone button although it sounded all jittery. All the sounds with the phone worked including the ringer and speakerphone. I did have a sound quality issue with the earpiece on the 650 though. Whenever the person on the other end was loud it sounded like crap on the 650, again this was only with the built-in earpiece on the 650. If I used speakerphone or a connected earpiece it did not happen. I tried everything software wise to fix this, format hard reset, rewrote the original rom(I never had a modified firmware to begin with). I finally ended up just getting a replacement.
    Anyone have an idea how to fix this? I have had my treo for a couple months and it just started this today. If I plug in a wired headset I can hear the sounds, etc. But if a wired headset isn't plugged in all I hear is the ringing and warning tones.

Help

- Shawn
    Have you tried a hard reset (make a backup first). If it works after that, my guess is some application corrupted the preferences file or some other RAM resident db. If it doesn't work after a hard reset, it's a hardware issue. Do a zero-out reset (search here on TC, there's a recent thread) and return the phone for an exchange.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberhomie
    Anyone have an idea how to fix this? I have had my treo for a couple months and it just started this today. If I plug in a wired headset I can hear the sounds, etc. But if a wired headset isn't plugged in all I hear is the ringing and warning tones.

Help
    Ooops - forgot to reply about this

Sprint looked at it at a couple of the Sprint Stores in Madison and had it replaced - so it doesn't look like there is a fix for this.
    Personal = Treo 650 => Treo 700p => Treo 755p => Palm Pre ... [Pre 2?]
    and =====================> Apple iPhone => iPad
    Work ==========================> BB Storm => HTC EVO 4G

MY PRE IS STILL MY FAVORITE BY FAR!!
    Actually, i don't write solutions to probs generally, but after finding out that its v common and the solution is very simple compared to Highly irritating & important problem for those who suffer from it, i just thought of registering here and writing it off!

PROBLEM - The midi ringtones were playing and the beep notification was working and everything else was mute. Even the speakerphone button didn't come up while making a call. Neither i could hear caller's voice n nor could send mine through the mic. A Hard Reset didn't solve the problem either. So i CONCLUDED that Treo was assuming that headphone's plugged in which wasn't the case of course.

SOLUTION - After being sure of it being a H/W problem around the Headphone Area, i just inserted the Headphone Pin (not fully, just a lil' bit!) and pulled the hole in random directions... IT WORKED! I hope you got the point... just fiddle with the black circle rubber until you find the sound back (it must take few seconds only!).
    Maybe, The extensive use of stereo pin (i m using the palm's original), makes the female jack out of position and shorts the circuit inside (which is v poor as per palm's standards).
    Anyways, my treo is again back to its prime form... and haven't had t same problem again (Although, It has been just one day!).
    Quote Originally Posted by oopsrajat
    Actually, i don't write solutions to probs generally, but after finding out that its v common and the solution is very simple compared to Highly irritating & important problem for those who suffer from it, i just thought of registering here and writing it off!

PROBLEM - The midi ringtones were playing and the beep notification was working and everything else was mute. Even the speakerphone button didn't come up while making a call. Neither i could hear caller's voice n nor could send mine through the mic. A Hard Reset didn't solve the problem either. So i CONCLUDED that Treo was assuming that headphone's plugged in which wasn't the case of course.

SOLUTION - After being sure of it being a H/W problem around the Headphone Area, i just inserted the Headphone Pin (not fully, just a lil' bit!) and pulled the hole in random directions... IT WORKED! I hope you got the point... just fiddle with the black circle rubber until you find the sound back (it must take few seconds only!).
    Maybe, The extensive use of stereo pin (i m using the palm's original), makes the female jack out of position and shorts the circuit inside (which is v poor as per palm's standards).
    Anyways, my treo is again back to its prime form... and haven't had t same problem again (Although, It has been just one day!).
    My last unit had this same issue and I found that inserting a headphone and taking it back out a few times always seemed to fix it like you say. I discovered this after Sprint had already ordered me another unit since they failed to resolve it. And after not getting it repalced then, I ended up with what I call a "fuzzy speaker" for a second time and am now on my 3rd 650 anyway.
    yep.
    This is a hardware issue that eventually makes it impossible to use the phone without the headphone jack, especially after updating the ROM to 1.23 which means the speakerphone button will not show when the unit thinks the headphone is plugged in which is the basis of the hardware problem.
    As of yesterday, I have the reverse problem. I regularly use my 650 with headphones to listen to audio books. As of yesterday, the phone speaker still works fine, but I get no audio through the headphones. I tried this with two separate pairs (one via an adapter, one Seidio dual purpose headphones) with no different results. I have soft reset as well with no improvement. I'll try wiggling the headphone jack, but I guess I will be taking this phone back to Sprint...
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Just want to add my two cents...

Thanks for the info oopsrajat! This one had me baffled. My experience was the same as previously mentioned. I used my headset one day and after removing the jack the audio ceased to work. I found a weird intermittent way to get audio by toggling the speaker phone on and off, but nothing worked 100% of the time.

This reminds me of an old walkman I had in high school. If you pulled the earphone cord to the left and down you could hear in stereo. You can imagine the nightmare it made of ACDCís Thunderstruck while jogging. That being said, it didnít cost $600.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb
    As of yesterday, I have the reverse problem. I regularly use my 650 with headphones to listen to audio books. As of yesterday, the phone speaker still works fine, but I get no audio through the headphones. I tried this with two separate pairs (one via an adapter, one Seidio dual purpose headphones) with no different results. I have soft reset as well with no improvement. I'll try wiggling the headphone jack, but I guess I will be taking this phone back to Sprint...
    This is the same problem. I've exchanged two Treos for a bad audio jack, once because of your problem, once because of the problem the OP had.....
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    I am getting my Treo replaced due to the phone jack failing. My phone thinks that there is always a wired headset connected. I sure hope the replacement phone has a jack designed to last longer than a few months. These jacks need to be spec'd to last years.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I am having similar sound problems. I cannot hear from the phone speaker, but other souds appear to work ok. The speaker phone works. I still have a speaker phone button when talking on the phone, so it probably does not think the headphone is plugged in. The speaker button dissappears when I put in the headphone jack.

Maybe the phone speaker is actually broken? I heard my wife very faintly on it yesterday. I tried a soft reset, maybe I will try a hard reset, bu I would rather not.

Very strange. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    This is not a new problem, and has been fairly well discussed previously on this board (see the thread from yesterday, http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=76122).

If you have sound playing in some applications but no others, it's a software problem, not a hardware problem.

I had this problem several months ago, and asked this board for help. I was referred to Freedom, from www.toysoft.ca. The latest version, 1.3.5 completely resolves this issue. The apparent problem is a software conflict with one of the applications installed (mine was Bejeweled). Freedom, even the trial version, will overwrite the problem and correct the issue. All without the hassle of going to the Sprint store, sending phones back and forth, and then re-installing your apps.

Good luck.

Freedom: http://www.toysoft.ca/freedom.html
    BAM! Jimfun you're my hero! I've been having this EXACT intermittent probelm form weeks now and the LAST thing I wanted to do was have to deal with getting a replacment phone. I couldn;t even figure out how to properly describe the symptoms of my problem but here they are and Freedom (trial) was the solution. I think I'll purchase freedom just to be sure this never happens again and to express my thanks for a program that EASILY saved me $15 worth of phone support time and frustration in dealing with a replacement!

YES!
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    Thanks a million to the contributors of this thread. This problem cropped up recently with my battered but much loved T650. I've been harassing inocent software developers with accusations of sound problems since this issue has been driving me crazy.

I did as mentioned here - and gave my treo headphone jack some physical therapy with a spare ear bud and voila! My baby is talking to me again.

Quote Originally Posted by oopsrajat View Post

OH MY GOD IT WORKED!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb View Post
    Did you find any way to fix this? I have the same problem, but it's odd. I can hear the system sounds (key clicks, headphone going in, screen taps) but I can't hear any music through Pocket Tunes or TCPMP. I don't understand why the system sounds would work, but not the music.
    It would appear that if speakerphone will work, sound over earpiece works, and if you unplug the earpiece and then you can use the phone regularly and hear people when you make calls, but you get no audio when playing realplayer or videos, you may have a problem with the mute switch on top of the treo 650 and/or a problem with the earpiece jack.

It sounds as if your problems are mimicked as if you just moved the mute switch, so that may be at fault.

The mute switch will turn off most sounds over speakerphone, including music and videos, but will allow sounds through earpiece. It all depends on what other issues you have as well in more detail, as someone I know had that issue.

But the earpiece jack issue seems to be the most frequent reason so keep that in mind