1.    #1  
    Has anyone signed up for the Paypal software.
    It sounds pretty cool. Being able to beam money to others.
    Maybe someday we can pay for a meal by just beaming the tab to the waitress??

Jeff
    I would never trust my money to a Visor or PalmPilot. Too crash prone. I would want a dedicated unit that wouldn't be hackable and would be 100% stable.
    I signed up, their security is very tight and includes encryption at each step. Also, the money is not actually stored on the Visor in any sense. The Visor just allows you to generate payment orders which are sent when you sync. As I understand beaming money only lets the other Visor know that you're sending them money. They're kind of vague but I don't think that the order goes through until you're Visor syncs.
    If you signup and confirm your E-mail and postal addresses PayPal will credit you $10 plus they give you $10 for each friend you sign up. Beam them $5 and tell them to sign up for best effect. If you have a guess about how they're planning to make money let me know. My guess is that they will profit from transfers between when the order goes in and when the recipient picks it up and on any account balances.

------------------
    -----------------------
    Ordered 1 VDlx Blue
    1am Sept 15th
    Received 10:30 Oct 26th
    I signed up, but I can't use the PalmOS software until PayPal comes out with a version that allows me to specify firewall info

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    Here's what a PayPal rep told me in email:

"Confinity makes money in three ways:
    1) Float, which is the interest earned on the money in the PayPal system.
    After a PayPal user beams money to someone, the funds sit in a money market
    fund and earn interest for Confinity until the recipient withdraws the
    money. If the recipient uses the money to pay other people, Confinity
    continues to earn interest.

2) Merchant fees down the road comparable to existing credit card fees.

3) Bundling of financial services. For example, Confinity could offer a
    credit card available only to PayPal users."

Note: the <existing credit card fees> to which s/he refers are paid by the VENDOR for the right to use the technology, s/he's not talking about annual credit card fees that a customer pays.

And actually, you don't need any handheld at all to use PayPal. If you go to the PayPal web site, log in and click something like: "Beam Money", you type in an email address and that person can claim it either via the web or via handheld computer.

P.S. I've signed up. I'm not sure I have any friends who would join, though.

[This message has been edited by PDAENVY (edited 12-15-1999).]
    Just for interest's sake, my first actual transaction (other than beaming a friend a penny for the sign-up bonus) was to buy a deluxe stylus from a deal put together over VC. I just input his address in the Visor, sync'd, and poof! his account is credited.

This thing could go wild if eBay'er's began to catch on to it. Cuts the transaction time down considerably! I had my stylus in hand 4 days after first e-mail contact!

tyler
    x.com is kinda like PayPal, but I think its better, they give you $20 when you sign up instead of $10, they also have a S&P 500 fund with no load, and they send you a visa check card for the account.

-doug
    Sounds like a great system, if you want some company tracking how you spend every penny of your money. I imagine the company will also be making their money by selling your info to marketing people.

I'll stick to cash where ever I can, thanks.
    I just got an automatic update to PayPal that seems to support proxy servers. That and vendor acceptance seemed to be the last gaps in the system.
    IT TOOK TWO WEEKS to get the money PayPal owed me. I sold something and the buyer allowed me to collect $32 through PayPal. I went through registration and wanted the money posted to my bank account. The transaction would only go through if I gave them a credit card or waited until a "Sstreet Address Confirmation Number" was mailed to me. The letter with the twenty digit number took two weeks but now I can't seem to access PayPal.
    I started with Paypal when I read an article about it in Information Week. The system works great except for the firewall part. I have used it to buy things on Ebay and haven't had any problems getting the money into my checking account. The signup process is alittle long it does take 2 weeks from start to finish, but once it is setup the rest is a breeze.
    I signed up for paypal last night so I could pay for something I bought on ebay. I got $10 just for signing up! It took about 6 minutes. They have to mail you paperwork before you can withdraw money from your account. I guess that's the part that takes awhile. I think it would be fun/interesting to beam money. Maybe I'll start beaming $5 to friends & family like the earlier poster did. Then when they sign up -- we all make money. X.com is a similar deal. They will no longer give $20 sign-up bonus after today.

Here's the paypal link (with me as a referral! )
    https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=bkbynum%40aol.com
    I've sign'ed up but not actually used it yet. Therefore, if any of my fellow VC brothers and sisters want to send me a donation for testing purposes...

Just kidding... (unless you REALLY want to send some...). I NEVER refuse money!

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    Barbara in Denver said: Maybe I'll start beaming $5 to friends & family like the earlier poster did.

Since she's my daughter, I hope she means to beam me some money if I sign up. That will be a switch! It usually has gone the other direction!
    PayPal/X.com/Confinity is impossible to deal with. They have overcharged my account in the sum of $285.40. They refuse to respond, or give any phone numbers. They charged me three times for the same transaction in 5 minutes...they are holding the money and show no intention until legal action is taken to return the EFT to my account. Do not use unless you have several hundred dollars to waste or to lend to PayPal/X.Com.
    I've used them several times and have never had any sort of problem.
    Originally posted by locander:
    PayPal/X.com/Confinity is impossible to deal with. They have overcharged my account in the sum of $285.40. They refuse to respond, or give any phone numbers. They charged me three times for the same transaction in 5 minutes...they are holding the money and show no intention until legal action is taken to return the EFT to my account. Do not use unless you have several hundred dollars to waste or to lend to PayPal/X.Com.

UPDATE: 5/20/00
    No contact from PayPal. Was told by customer service (ha)that the finance department doesn't have a real phone and that they talk to each other by cell phones. Nice to know your money is being handled by someone in their car without access to a computer that can rectify the situation. Also the "manager" said that he isn't sure if they have a legal department. Makes one feel warm and secure, doesn't it?

I've been using PayPal for awhile now without any problems. Of course, I haven't tried to have the money transfered out of my account. I have been letting it sit there since I have no immediate need for it.

Anyway, does anyone else have any problems with the PayPal Palm software? Everytime I run it, it locks up my Visor and I have to reset. Perhaps it is a conflict with another app, but I thought I would see if anyone else has the same issues...

Thanks
    Ryan
    Originally posted by locander:

UPDATE: 5/20/00
    No contact from PayPal. Was told by customer service (ha)that the finance department doesn't have a real phone and that they talk to each other by cell phones. Nice to know your money is being handled by someone in their car without access to a computer that can rectify the situation. Also the "manager" said that he isn't sure if they have a legal department. Makes one feel warm and secure, doesn't it?

Still no contact and nothing but "BS" from the customer service department, which I learned that PayPal kept the system up and running when the trouble began on 5-13, to "add some extra income for the company" which was needed in order to perform the upgrades.
    Just got word that paypal will be discontinuing support for the Palm version of their software within the next three weeks. Based on the above posts, it sounds like this will not be much of a change. However, the letter I got from paypal indicates any user will need to remove the software from his/her handheld, since the ability to synchronize with the online account is being disabled. Paypal has already removed any reference to Palm software from their website.