1.    #1  
    IMHO,for those that do not require push IMAP, may I suggest the following simple email solution:

1. Subscribe to FastMail.fm
    2. Read and send e-mail from their web site using Blazer.

This is a HIGHLY stable method of reading and sending e-mail, and is the most RAM-efficient.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Is there a "PDA friendly" version of their site? I've tried viewing emails via Blazer (using a Treo 600) and it was a horrible experience.
    I can't imagine using webmail on any device, let alone a Treo.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Is there a "PDA friendly" version of their site? I've tried viewing emails via Blazer (using a Treo 600) and it was a horrible experience.
    You are correct! The T600 doesn't cut it.
    But ... FastMail is beautiful on a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    You can always try this wap site run by fastmail.fm It's obviously not going to be as full featured as the regular site, but it should do in a pinch:

http://wap.fastmail.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzo
    IMHO,for those that do not require push IMAP, may I suggest the following simple email solution:

1. Subscribe to FastMail.fm
    2. Read and send e-mail from their web site using Blazer.

This is a HIGHLY stable method of reading and sending e-mail, and is the most RAM-efficient.
    What's the difference/benefit of using Fastmail vs. {any other email site e.g. Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.} using Blazer (or other browser)?
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Azazello
    What's the difference/benefit of using Fastmail vs. {any other email site e.g. Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.} using Blazer (or other browser)?
    FastMail is IMAP.
    But if one does not require push email like you stated in your original post said, then there's no reason to use fastmail.

The benefit to webmail is access from any machine, wherever you may be. For speed, ease of use, formatting, etc. a client that checks pop mail (like Snapper) would be a much better option, though more expensive initial outlay.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    But if one does not require push email like you stated in your original post said, then there's no reason to use fastmail.

The benefit to webmail is access from any machine, wherever you may be. For speed, ease of use, formatting, etc. a client that checks pop mail (like Snapper) would be a much better option, though more expensive initial outlay.
    For most of us TC'rs here, IMAP means "push" email thanks to Chatter. However, the real reason to use IMAP is because it's server-based, unlike POP.

Many of us check our email from work and home, and occasionally other places as well. If you use a client like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc., IMAP is a huge benefit because the "view" of your inbox remains constant across all computers/clients.

IMAP is really a better solution than POP, even if you don't give a rat's a** about push email.
    I am not knocking the benefits of IMAP access. I am not. But it is not better than POP, just better for those who need IMAP access.

I do not need to access my work account. Even if I did, my company, and many companies, do not allow you to install new software on your machine. You must use the mail client they give you, or ... well, you don't have a choice - you WILL use their client. So if I wanted consistent view of mail accts, I would have to use the same client at home as at work.

In terms of personal email accounts I have three, each used for slightly different purposes. If I wanted IMAP access to all three, I would have to either (a) forward these accts to, say, Fastmail, (b) open up POP3 or IMAP access from the 3 accts, so that Fastmail can then access them, or (c) give up the 3 accts - meaning losing my 3 working email addresses - and use only Fastmail.

I would love to use method (b) as I could then check all 3 at the same time, in one place. But from what I understand, Fastmail can only freely poll Hotmail; to get to Yahoo mail (and others), I would have to pay Yahoo $$.$$ per year for the privilege of accessing my "free" Yahoo mail account via POP, then point Fastmail to this acct.

I am also concerned about integrity of the mail header for option (a) when forwarding to FastMail - does Fastmail reorganize the header to look like it came from the orginal mail acct? When replying, will it use the domain of the original account? Note that this second option is spoofing; my company quarantines and even blocks spoofed mail.

Hotmail and Yahoo PDAs-viewing of emails is very primitive. Surprisingly primitive. But for some of us, POP is the best.