1.    #1  
    I'm (trying to) try out PrintBoy from Bachmann Software. I don't have a printer with IRdA (what is that, anyway?).
    Bachmann tell me I need a cable to go straight from the Visor into the printer. Searches at IGo and HS have turned up nothing. I also tried Greenwich Instruments, but can't get their server. Has anyone found such a cable? Where? Or is it only Pilots that have the necessary port for the cable?
    Thanks for any help.
    I printed by IR to a Canon BJC 80 printer using Multimail Pro. I just pointed, told it to print and it worked. I couldn't believe it would be that easy. Good luck getting your working!

RadarGreg
    it is an infrared port just like your tv has the visor can also interface to a usb or serial printer from the hot sync port wih a cable just like palm has. try www.stevenscreek.com palmprint it works great.free trial version too..

Hope this helps
    TheSmith
    The only IR printers I have seen are the really expensive Laser Printers. Upwards of at least $600. My dad has an HP LaserJet 6MP, that has IR, but has been discontinued I believe.
  5. MPM
    Originally posted by thesmith:
    ...the visor can also interface to a usb or serial printer from the hot sync port wih a cable just like palm has.
    Hooking up the Visor to a USB printer will not work. The Visor's USP port is a perhipheral port, just like the printer's USB port. USB hookups can only have one master controller. 99.999% of the time this is your desktop Mac/PC/Linux box.

Since the Visor is designed to hook up your desktop computer, it is not a host/master on USB. I believe that the hardware itself is different for the host USB controller also. This is simply the way USB was defined. This one "feature" of USB makes it inferior, not superior, to the vernerable serial and parallel ports.

Now, what you could try to solve your printing issue is this: With a printer that has a standard RS-232 port, use the Visor's serial cradle and a null modem addapter. That should work. It works with most modems.
    I haven't tried it yet, but from what I understand, those cheaper, portable printers (eg HP 340/350) can be used with the PalmPrint software, as long as you have the IR adapter on the printer. You can get the 340 at ebay for probably $150-200.
    yes, you are right about usb printing direct to the usb port on the printer. Just serial printing will work with the serial cable and null modem adapter. I always use the ir to print never tried usb till today. A usb visor to printer adapter would be a great product for all the new usb printers.... (hint hint)

Originally posted by MPM:
    Hooking up the Visor to a USB printer will not work. The Visor's USP port is a perhipheral port, just like the printer's USB port. USB hookups can only have one master controller. 99.999% of the time this is your desktop Mac/PC/Linux box.

Since the Visor is designed to hook up your desktop computer, it is not a host/master on USB. I believe that the hardware itself is different for the host USB controller also. This is simply the way USB was defined. This one "feature" of USB makes it inferior, not superior, to the vernerable serial and parallel ports.

Now, what you could try to solve your printing issue is this: With a printer that has a standard RS-232 port, use the Visor's serial cradle and a null modem addapter. That should work. It works with most modems.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by MPM:
    Hooking up the Visor to a USB printer will not work. ...
    I'm trying to print to a low-end laser, a Brother HL-1030, which is normally hooked up to the parallel port on my laptop. Is this what you mean by "a standard RS-232 port"? Will your suggested null modem adapter work in this case, do you think?

Thank you all for your help and generosity, and for your patience if my question seems rudimentary.
    This site rules, IMHO.
  9. MPM
    Originally posted by jazzlover:
    ...which is normally hooked up to the parallel port on my laptop. Is this what you mean by "a standard RS-232 port"?
    Opps! I meant to say "standard RS-232 serial port". Sorry about that.

An IEEE-1294 parallel port and a RS-232 serial port are completely different.

To print to a printer with only a parallel port, you would need a serial-to-parallel converter. I know these are available, but I can't remember who sells them at the moment.

I hope this clarifies my earlier post.

10.    #10  
    Thanks to Steve Likman at Bachmann Software, I've located a serial to parallel cable for Visors and Palms.
    It's available at http://www.igo.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...&subcat=&link=
    It's US$69.00 (ouch!)
    Plugs straight into the hotsynch port at the bottom of your Visor and out to the parallel port of your printer.
    For the benefit of Canadian and other users outside the US:
    Despite the fact that their website will allow you to select addresses outside the US, their site cannot accept any "international" orders. Ya gotta order by phone. They charge US$23.00 to ship _ground_ to Canada (criminal, if you ask me).
    They also have to have their accounting dept. clear credit card orders with your bank if you order from outside the US.
    C'mon, somebody in Canada start selling this stuff, please?
    That serial/parralel cable is for the Palm, they do not currently have a cable available for the Visor, although the salesman I talk to said they are working on one...
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by adfleisher:
    That serial/parralel cable is for the Palm, they do not currently have a cable available for the Visor, ...
    Same OS, same port, it should still work for the Visor, no?
  13. MPM
    Originally posted by jazzlover:
    Same OS, same port, it should still work for the Visor, no?
    No. The same OS but the Visor has a physically and electrically different serial/hotsync port on it. Devices designed for the Palm serial port will not work with the Visor. You have to get one designed for the Visor.
    All right, I'll admit it, I'm computer and software "challenged" (is that the politically correct way of saying it?)

I don't use the cradle that comes with the Visor. They made me buy a different one because I'm still a primitive that uses Windows 95. Does that mean that I can use that cable thingy that is mentioned above?

Not really considering the cable as an option. I'm more sold on those portable printers, the Canon BJC-85 and the BJC-50 which were mentioned above. I've had professors that let me type "essay questions" from my tests in class, and it would be just a lot more convenient to use one of those printers than the laser printer I've been lugging to class.

dave
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by DaveTheSane:
    I don't use the cradle that comes with the Visor. They made me buy a different one because I'm still a primitive that uses Windows 95.

I'm in the same boat. I run WIN95 and use a serial cradle, as there's no USB port on my (very old) laptop.

Does that mean that I can use that cable thingy that is mentioned above?
    Not sure I totally understand you.