Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings TreoCentral Gang!

I've been monitoring this site for over 6 months, waiting for the 650 to come out, and then to come out in GSM form from Cingular. When that finally happened, I got one. Notwithstanding the now well known voicemail issue, I was a really happy camper until a few days ago, when my 650 started dropping calls and doing a soft reset immediately upon answering them, and sometimes before I even got a chance to answer. It also occasionally did a soft reset upon dialing a call. Yesterday Cingular sent me a replacement 650 under warranty, which should be here by Monday, and I figured I'd suffer with an old Nokia until it arrives.

Today, in a chance conversation with a sales person at a Cingular retail store, I was told that the problem was discovered yesterday: the 650 isn't compatible with certain SIM cards, specifically those ending in "G." I went in and had my SIM card replaced with one ending in A and all was right with the world (even the pre-set voicemail keys now worked!) - for a few hours. Once again the device dropped calls and did a soft reset immediately upon answering. Strangely the voicemail feature still works, but that's not doing me much good when I can't receive calls, so I'm back to the Nokia.

This issue may have been discussed on this forum already, and if it was, I apologize, but does anyone have any idea what's going on? Have others experienced this problem? Fyi, I have loaded no external software. All I did was Hot Sync my [3000+] contacts from Outlook, which has worked flawlessly every time. Also, the phone behaves the same way when it's hooked up to the charger, so I don't think it's a battery/power issue.

In the forums on Palm One's web site there are several people who have had this problem, some of whom are already on their third 650 with no resolution. Needless to say, I'm rather concerned. I love the phone, but certainly can't live with it when it has a problem like this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Todd Serota
    Have tried a hard reset and a clean desktop install? Perhaps that will help.
    I have the same issue on my Sprint 650. Usually happens after I leave an application and is random.
    A friend just started having this problem today. She also had the bad sim card. Swapping the sim fixed the voicemail number problem but did nothing for the soft reset issue. We did a hard reset late last night that has at least temporarily fixed it. Time will tell if it stays fixed.
    Same for me. Hard reset of my cingular 650 cleared up the soft resets on answering calls. We'll see for how long. Never happened on my sprint 650.
    a soft reset after the SIM swap may help, if not I second the Hard reset. That should fix you up for the most part. The device is still going to have some problems I think. Dissable the "enable local network time if available" option in the date and time prefs. too some have suggested. There is a thread on that, so search if you want more info.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Are any of you using Verichat? Also, are you using a bluetooth device? When I answer the phone with the dialpad and am using my bluetooth hands free device, the machine soft resets everytime. If I turn off Bluetooth, it works fine (most of the time).
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to everyone so far for responding.

A hard reset was done by a Cingular employee at the retail store when the new SIM card was installed. That fixed the problem for a couple of hours. I'll try doing another one myself - nothing to lose other than some time Hot Synching all of my contacts back into the phone. What does Rome mean by a "clean desktop install," and why would it be necessary? I thought a hard reset puts the phone back to the condition it was in when it was purchased.

Re Bluetooth, I speculated that might have something to do with it so I tried turning it off, but it made no differenece. I have a Bluetooth headset and used it a bit when I first got the phone. There was no problem, but there was likewise no problem at that time answering calls with the phone directly.

Even though we all very eagerly awaited the arrival of the 650, does anyone else have the sense that Palm One released the phone just a bit too soon?

Todd Serota
    The reset problem I mentioned is on a 650 that does not use bluetooth and does not have Verichat installed.
  10.    #10  
    Ok, I did a hard reset. The phone worked ok with 4 or 5 test calls. Then I ran Hot Sync and the problem returned. Also, all of my previous settings were saved on my PC (ringtones, voicemail favorites, etc.) and were re-installed on the phone after the Hot Sync. Wanting to get a completely fresh start I uninstalled the Hot Sync software (using Add/Remove Programs) and re-installed it, but the info was retained and after another hard reset and Hot Sync, once again transferred to my 650.

Does anyone know where the Hot Sync software stores the data so I can eliminate it and get a truly fresh start? I just uninstalled Hot Sync again and notice that the Palm One folder in Program Files is still there, with lots of sub-folders. Can I just delete this Palm One folder or is it much more complicated than that? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Todd Serota
    Todd,
    It sounds like you have a file in your back up folder that keeps getting restored everytime you do a hotsync and this is what's causing you grief.
    Go into your program files and find the palm program. Open that folder and within that folder is a folder with the name of your hotsync id. Open that folder and find a folder named backup. Right click on that folder and rename it backupold and than close everything out. Now hard reset your your treo and perform a hotsync. All of your PIM should get restored but without any 3rd party software etc...
    You will now have to re-install any addition software fresh.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Todd,
    It sounds like you have a file in your back up folder that keeps getting restored everytime you do a hotsync and this is what's causing you grief.
    Go into your program files and find the palm program. Open that folder and within that folder is a folder with the name of your hotsync id. Open that folder and find a folder named backup. Right click on that folder and rename it backupold and than close everything out. Now hard reset your your treo and perform a hotsync. All of your PIM should get restored but without any 3rd party software etc...
    You will now have to re-install any addition software fresh.
    Thanks for the info. I found the backup folder, but I'm wondering. There are a lot of folders remaining even though I uninstalled the program, all under the main Palm One folder under Program Files. Would it cause a problem if I just delete the entire Palm One folder, and thus all of the sub-folders? My concern is that doing this will somehow screw up the re-installation of the software. I have installed no third party software on the Treo and have nothing that I want to keep. Everything I want is in Outlook, which will be re-installed when I do a clean Hot Sync.

Todd Serota
    You should just be able to reinstall the software and it will put it back into the same directory. Just rename the backup folder as I mentioned so that when you hotsync again it will be a fresh sync and it will automatically create a new backup folder and nothing will get installed to your 650 but your Outlook stuff.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Does anyone gets soft resets after hitting Versamail?. It is totally predictable, I wonder I corrupted the file somehow?.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheltowee
    Are any of you using Verichat? Also, are you using a bluetooth device? When I answer the phone with the dialpad and am using my bluetooth hands free device, the machine soft resets everytime. If I turn off Bluetooth, it works fine (most of the time).
    I have had a bluetooth headset for some time with my GSM 650 - no real problems there I have noticed, I have been using it a lot lately too.
    Treo 650 GSM
  16.    #16  
    Hooya! It looks like the problem has been solved. Otoh, I've said that many times before. Renaming the backup folder worked; when I re-installed the Hot Sync software and did a hot sync, it didn't download the settings I had before and the phone answers calls just fine (for now, at least). Interestingly, though, some things were still retained on my PC even after the uninstall and re-install. Specifically, the name of my computer and the hot sync logs were still there.

This is just in time for me to set up my new new Treo 650. When I was having so many problems with it I got Cingular to replace it under warranty. The new one just arrived today. I wanted to make sure I got everything worked out on the old one before setting up the new one, and hopefully I have. However, I think I'll live with the old one for a few days before taking the plunge. The call tag for the old one won't be here until next week anyway.

Todd Serota (happy until the problem resurfaces, or the next one pops up)
    Glad to hear that you got it working!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I have been having the same problem with my phone, and I noticed that when I received a call with NO caller ID (my home, which is blocked) the phone DID NOT SOFT RESET.

On the other hand, when I unblocked the caller ID on the same phone number, the phone RELIABLY soft reset.

I went back and forth a couple of times (caller ID and No caller ID) and was able to replicate the problem VERY reliably. This was after the new (A series) sim card and a hard reset.

I think the A vs. G series sim card really doesn't have anything to do with the problem.

Any ideas?

best,

Fred

--
    Go to http://www.uglybutton.com to buy Fred Raimondi's latest album, "The Apostle of Reality"
    Last edited by fredfx@mindspri; 02/26/2005 at 05:06 PM.
    Fred -
    Inteesting info. It leaves me wondernig what phone databases might be touched differently when you get a caller id vs non-caller id call. Do you by chance have different ringtones? A graphic for your home number? Anything come to mind?
    Jeepdiver-

Actually no. No different ringtones or graphics. The only thing I can think of is that it's hitting the address book when the caller id kicks in. Funnily though, I never thought of testing a caller ID that isn't in my address book.

I have done a hard reset and just restored my addressbook only (no third party software) and have had no resets on incoming calls that have a caller ID in my address book.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast