1. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have a CSV file with over 50,000 contacts (don't ask ).

Palm Desktop won't import more than ~22,xxx. Any ideas on an easy way to import these into my Treo 650? Is there a different contacts application that can manage a list this large?
    I use MobileDB (got it free somewhere during a promotion) with the data on SD card. Searching is painfully slow so I keep multiple copies of data with index fields sorted in 1st column so I can scroll to my entry.
    With 50,000 contacts, if you worked non-stop 5 days a week, making a new call every two minutes, and connecting with the person every time, you could talk to each person once a year.
    I have 700 customers, friends, family, and @ never call a bunch and constantly try to weed out and eliminate the extras.
    The purpose of these tools is to make you more productive and efficient. Classify and sort so that you can sync only the ones you use and need, and make the treo a useful tool for you, instead of an overloaded collection of useless storage.
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Curtarmy, I disagree. the power is in having it all with you. I carry around a database of everyone who lives in my territory sorted by address and I have an advantage when cold calling around my stops.
    Need a referral and I can find you 20 in your neighborhood.
    Any one of my 3500 customers can call and I can answer as though I saw them yesterday because my Treo prompts me.
    First, I think there's a big difference between 3500 and 50000.

More importantly, 50K contacts just ain't gonna fit. My 515 contacts take up 281K. 50K would take close to 21MB. And that's not counting the duplicate database.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    First, I think there's a big difference between 3500 and 50000.

More importantly, 50K contacts just ain't gonna fit. My 515 contacts take up 281K. 50K would take close to 21MB. And that's not counting the duplicate database.
    Read the original post. He's looking for some way of carring around the data.

I currently have over 4000 contacts in my treo (PIM) which are active business accounts or prospects. According to "Info" on my palm:
    Free Space 13.5M of 23.8M
    Contacts Size = 197K
    Contacts Records = 4022 rec

I keep separate databases of 10's of thousands of contacts on SD, accessed through MobileDB.

See...having cake and eating it too
    Actually, I did read the original post. He's trying to import them in Palm Desktop. That, in turn, will sync them to the Contacts app. He specifically says "import them into my 650." He mentions nothing about a 3rd party app.

Yes, there are ways of getting around the situation, but there's no way to load them into Palm Desktop and "import" them into the Treo's contacts app.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Actually, I did read the original post. He's trying to import them in Palm Desktop. That, in turn, will sync them to the Contacts app. He specifically says "import them into my 650." He mentions nothing about a 3rd party app.

Yes, there are ways of getting around the situation, but there's no way to load them into Palm Desktop and "import" them into the Treo's contacts app.

Third party is fine.

...and for what it's worth, I got it all into a MobileDB database and it's only 5.2mb.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I use Goldmine for my contacts and a program called companionlink to autosync with my 650. Awesome combo... I don't sync with Outlook or Palm Desktop, just straight through to Goldmine for Contacts & Appointments.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    I use Goldmine for my contacts and a program called companionlink to autosync with my 650. Awesome combo... I don't sync with Outlook or Palm Desktop, just straight through to Goldmine for Contacts & Appointments.
    What version of Goldmine are you using?

ALthough I haven't picked up my 650 yet, I'm really a little torn between a 7100 and the 650.

Knowing the the 650 works well with Goldmine would immediately seal the deal for me.