1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of buying a Visor to use at work, but I have a problem, and I need some suggestions.

My main needs are a calendar/scheduling tool and to-do lists, but to a more limited extent, I also would like to read/write e-mail and keep a contact list/address book. Which brings me to the problem: I'm a die-hard MS Outlook fan. I love it, and hate the thought of switching, but since all of the computers in my office are Macs, I'm having a hard time trying to decide what to do.

Does anyone out there know either 1) how I can use Outlook on my Mac (does softpc or virtual pc or anything like that mess with the hotsync?) or 2) is it absolutely vital that I switch to a different pim?

And, if I have to switch, what's my best option? What software, or combination of softwares, will be the easiest switch over from Outlook?

I would be really interested to hear from other Visor/Mac users and what outlook-like applications are being used on the mac.

Thanks!
    I've never been a big fan of Outlook...of course, that could be just because they never got around to making it for the Mac.

The most popular Mac alternative is Now Up Todate:
    http://www.poweronsw.com/site2/html/39/nutdc39.html

I used to use it before PowerOn bought them. I thought it was OK. It did have fairly nice group-scheduling capabilities.

A relatively unheard of product, but one I am anticipating is BlueOffice:
    http://www.myblueoffice.com/

More of an OFFICE information manager than a PIM.

And, of course, you could just wait a few more months and Microsoft will (FINALLY!) have outlook available for the Mac:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/events/...00/outlook.asp

I'm actually anticipating this release. I think they did an incredible job on IE5 for the Mac and if the team does half as good on the Mac re-write of Outlook I will certainly consider switching over.

Of course, you could always use the Palm Desktop in the interim...I find it tolerable.
    Now Up-to-Date & Contact work well with the Visor. My only complaint is that Contact (the PIM half of the bundle) doesn't sync its default E-mail field with the corresponding E-mail field in AddressBook. It's a fairly minor complaint that they teach you how to work around. In all other respects, though, it's a joy to use. Good luck deciding. Cheers!
  4.    #4  
    Well, I guess maybe I can wait until office comes out for the mac... I really wish I could have something I could sync with the mac at the office AND with the PC at home...

Does anyone know where I can get more information on just the Palm Desktop? What it looks like, what features it has, what major features it's lacking, etc...

Also, does anyone know anything about Lotus Organizer? I used it on my windows machine a long time ago... do they have a mac version?

Thanks again.
    Woah, woah slow down now! What are you talking about? Lotus for Mac? Outlook for Mac? Or Visors???

Outlook is not avalible on the Mac. Outlook Express is. As the above person mentioned, Now Up-to-Date & Contact is probably the best organizer you can get that you can sync with your Mac.

If you want to use email with Outlook Express, you cant try MultiMail Pro: http://www.actualsoft.com/

They also have a seperate (cheaper) MultiMail Conduit which works for both platforms. (Even though everyone knows the Mac is superior! =) )

Good luck!

iMaX - doncom@buyamac.com
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by iMaX:
    Woah, woah slow down now! What are you talking about? Lotus for Mac? Outlook for Mac? Or Visors???

Sorry if I've confused you.

I'm talking about a scheduling/contact/to-do list application which I can at work on my Mac, and of course, which I can synch with my VISOR. I know, I'm probably asking for too much, but I was just mentioning that I had used both Outlook (NOT express; it's practically worthless to me--e-mail is a secondary concern at best) and Lotus Organizer for Windows, and was originally wishing/wondering if those applications were available for the Mac, the platform I have to use at work.

I am tending away from the Power-On software for a completely different reason: I don't believe they have a Japanese language version, and I need something that will allow me to enter Japanese text (the visor will be Japanese, as well.) Both Organizer and Outlook can handle Japanese, but I can't even find out if there is a mac version of Lotus Organizer.

Anyway, I'm just raving on and on, so I guess I'll stop. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, a reply would be much appreciated.
    Outlook is not avalible on the Mac. Outlook Express is.
    Yes. That IS correct. But, just to reiterate, Outllook WILL be available for the Mac in the future. It's currently going into Beta Testing now.

Why you would want to run Lotus products on a Mac OR a PC is beyond me. (I know...I know...I'm being a little cynical there...)

I'm not an expert on the Japanese thing, but, I *think* that's an OS thing on the Mac. If you have the Japanese version of the OS, you can enter Japanese text. Someone with a little more knowlege...please chime in!

The Palm Desktop is fine. It has the same feature set (in a different interface) as the PC.

BTW, if anyone is into new software products, they should check out the above link to MyBlueOffice. I just discovered that they have an Alpha version out. It's all in German, so I don't understand a lot of it, but from what I saw, it's going to have a pretty rich feature set packaged in a very elegant interface.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by homer:
    I'm not an expert on the Japanese thing, but, I *think* that's an OS thing on the Mac. If you have the Japanese version of the OS, you can enter Japanese text.
    Hmm.. As far as entering text, you're probably right. For contact lists, however, I need something that's going to let me group and search by those Chinese characters and I think that few English softwares will have the extra coding necessary to do that. If I'm wrong, though, I'd love to know it.

I guess, though, since there's a demo available, I'll go ahead and download it on Monday and see to what extent Japanese can be used.

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

If you want to use email with Outlook Express, you cant try MultiMail Pro: http://www.actualsoft.com/
    Uh... sorry... that didn't come out quite right! If you want to use email with Outlook Express, you CAN try MultiMail Pro! Of course, you don't want to use Express, so there's no point in correcting myself!

Well anyway...

Originally posted by KENT:

I'm talking about a scheduling/contact/to-do list application which I can at work on my Mac, and... synch with my VISOR... fry eggs and prepare french toast... and Lotus Organizer for Windows, and was originally wishing/wondering if those applications were available for the Mac, the platform I have to use at work. (SHUT UP! THE MAC IS A GREAT PLATFORM!)

They [don't] have a Japanese language version, and I need something that will allow me to enter Japanese text (the visor will be Japanese, as well.) Both Organizer and Outlook can handle Japanese, but I can't even find out if there is a mac version of Lotus Organizer.
    Wow... you are asking for too much. You don't need a palm; you need a laptop. Trust me on this one. If you need to get all this done on one device, you NEED a laptop.
  10.    #10  
    Wow... you are asking for too much. You don't need a palm; you need a laptop. Trust me on this one. If you need to get all this done on one device, you NEED a laptop.

Ok, I'm gonna get a little bit nasty here.

#1) Please don't play with my messages unless you make it clear what I originally said, and what you have added. Even I had to check my previous post to see what I had written and what I hadn't.

#2) I'm absolutely not asking for too much. I am looking for a scheduling/to-do PIM that is intuitive, easy to use, and synchronizes well with the visor. My colleague is using a visor to do exactly that. The difference? He's got a Win98J(apanese) running Outlook 2000.

SO, since the mac is such a "great platform", I'm looking basically for an Outlook substitute (and it has to be able to handle Japanese.)

ANYWAY, since it was recommended by one of the posters here, I'm going to try up-to-date and contact at the office to see if it can handle Japanese. Maybe it'll do until I can get Outlook '01 in the fall.

So, since I haven't heard much else, I'll assume that up-to-date is my best choice.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

PS. While we're on the subject, I'm not about to get into the mac/win debate. After using both platforms extensively, for what I do, Windows suits me. Unfortunately for me, my office has given me no choice but to use a mac. Whichever platform you choose to worship is between you and your computer screen.
    Unfortunately for me, my office has given me no choice but to use a mac
    What kind of Mac did they give you? The new iMacs and G4s are completely capable of running windows via Virtual PC. You won't be playing games on it or anything, but you certainly use your office apps withtout a problem.

If you are new to the Mac, you may find it a bit frustrating (just as Mac users who are new to Windows do), but, after a while, you will probably see that, while there are differences between the two OS's, they really aren't THAT different.

That said, if a company values their employees productivity, they should accomodate them. My last 'big company' job was good in that respect...we all had new G3s/G4s w/two monitors, and a Dell PC with a monitor all on the same desk. I miss that job only for that reason!
  12.    #12  
    What kind of Mac did they give you? The new iMacs and G4s are completely capable of running windows via Virtual PC. .....
    If you are new to the Mac, you may find it a bit frustrating (just as Mac users who are new to Windows do), but, after a while, you will probably see that, while there are differences between the two OS's, they really aren't THAT different.
    The mac at the office is definitely on the way out.... Its a 6300 with 32 meg of ram. Someone left recently, and I've been hoping to move up to her machine, but that's the best I could do.

So, Virtual PC is not an option. Even if it were, does anyone have any experience synching to the visor over such emulation software? I'd be interested in hearing the results....

As far as the operating systems, I do have enough experience to know where they differ and where they are the same. In terms of productivity, I simply work better and faster on the windows pc. It's just more intuitive for me. (all flames ignored.)

Having said that, right now my other main problem is that, as far as PIMs go, my favorite softwares are just simply not available for the mac (at the moment).

The Japanese say "shikata ga nai" which basically translates as "oh, well."

6300 with 32 meg
    Yeesh...I guess they AREN'T worried about productivity

You'd probably be better off throwing Linux on it!
  14.    #14  
    I got lucky. Somebody quit in a flaming panic today, and while nobody was looking I swapped my 6300 for her 7300 with 48 meg!!! Woo hoo! Look at that baby go! Now I can run Eudora Pro, File Maker, and Internet Explorer all at the same time!!!!

You'd probably be better off throwing Linux on it!
    Any Mac is better with Linux on it.

I speak from personal experience.
    Somebody quit in a flaming panic today
    Kent: Are you sure you want this job? Sounds a little iffy to me

Any Mac is better with Linux on it.
    I speak from personal experience.
    More specifically, you speak of your personal opinion. Big difference
    Gentlemen, I shall not get into your discussion about computer systems or jobs, but I must tell you that it has been very entertaining to read. hi hi.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    all i can really say is WOW.
    my freinds tell me that i am a mac freak.
    that i take my macs way to serious.
    but damn, you take the cake.
    it is a simple fact that mac software leaves alot to be desired.
    hey, if they want to do windows for the rest of thier life, let'em go for it.
    i'll stay with my macs, i have enough headaches without doing windows!

just my 2 cents

P.S.
    lay off the day time TV!
    Originally posted by KENT:
    The Japanese say "shikata ga nai" which basically translates as "oh, well."

Japanese eh? Well, a-na-ta-no to-te-mo-ee-ji-wa-ru-desune!

But, you're right. The 6300 really does suck.
  20.    #20  
    Japanese eh? Well, a-na-ta-no to-te-mo-ee-ji-wa-ru-desune!
    Hmm... I'm not so ijiwaru (stubborn, ill-tempered).

By the way, I finally figured out what software works best on both the mac and the windows pc......

tada! Palm Desktop.

It's the only one I've found that doesn't have any problems synching up on both platforms. Go figure. It ain't fancy, but it gets the job done.

Anyone recommend any good enhancements for the Palm Desktop software?

==========
    by the way.... you want to say:
    anata WA (HA) totemo ijiwaru desune.

The above (quoted) sentence says "It is your very stubborn(ness)"

[This message has been edited by KENT (edited 08-10-2000).]