Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    tbhausen:

do you know if we will be charged if we have the unlimited plan? Even though I signed up for this, under my network preferences the APN is wap.cingular. Should the Cingular rep have changed this setting for me when I signed up?
    No, that setting is set automatically OTA (over the air) by Cingular depending on the plan you signed up. wap.cingular is for Wireless Internet Express. The other one is for their data connect plans.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    No, the unlimited $25 plan is for wap.cingular and the $40 plan is for isp.cingular... If you don't have a DATA CONNECT feature on your account, you can't get isp.cingular. It really doesn't matter unless you want to use PPTP (VPN), but the isp APN is a real IP address and the wap APN is NATted.

Todd/Indy
    I am in NYC on the Mediaworks package and also only get ~70kbps speeds tops. NYC def has EDGE but it is a crowded area... wish my speeds were higher!
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    My calling plan is also set up for GAIT because that is what my old phone supported. I have not changed the plan since moving my SIM card from the GAIT phone to the T650.
    You might wish to change that. I, too, put the SIM card from my GAIT phone in my Treo 650 (so that it would have my old phone number). My web & email service were very flaky, frequently losing connection and needing the phone radio to be turned off & on to work again.

I first assumed it was a problem with the Treo or with wireless access in general (first cellular Palm), until I put the SIM from my other phone in and experienced fast (>120Mbps), problem-free networking.

I planned to just adopt the other phone number, until I remembered the other phone did not have a MediaWorks plan.

I went to Cingular yesterday to get a new SIM, which they would have sold me for $25. However, the rep noticed the Treo was labeled as a GAIT phone in the system, and he changed it to GSM without modifying any other aspect of my service plan. My networking has been much better since then.

--
    Posted using PalmOS Treo 650
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    I have the $20 Mediaworks plan with unlimited Internet and I only get 30-40kbps in all the tests. Does this mean Mediaworks does not offer EDGE speed? Or is this a configuration error?
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    The "real IP" APN does use different username and password as noted below. CAUTION: If you can access this you will probably be charged by the kb!

APN: ISP.CINGULAR
    Username: ispda@cingulargprs.com
    Password: CINGULAR1

Todd/Indy
    I was able to connect to cingular's internet using those settings that you listed. I connected using those settings, did the 200k mspeed test and got THE EXACT SAME CRAPPY RESULTS AS THE MEDIAWORKS PLAN

That's right. it's now official. you heard it here first. $24.99 media net plan = $39.99 PDA plan
    LOL. Sorry you had to see it to believe it.
    jcsickz,

Just because you could connect does not mean the plans are equivalent. You might just have the "data connect" add-on feature accidentally added to your account by some CSR. I've never seen what I consider a credible demonstration of speed difference between the two APN's, save for the data compression done using "ispda@cingulargprs.com" versus "isp@cingulargprs.com". It can work OK on small screen devices, but it makes some web pages look like crap on a laptop.

Again, be careful using the ISP APN.

Todd/Indy
    sharing my experience.
    I changed my data plan from $19.99 Media Works Bundle (3MB, 1000sms, 200mms) to $24.99 Unlimited MediaNet (no sms/mms) yesterday. Today my phone failed to connect to internet, I got "Signing On -> Cancelling" message. I called CS who transferred me to Tech Support. I was worried he would say 'you have to sign up for $39.99 plan'. Well, he didn't say that, he asked me to turn off the ph, then he did whatever he did, and then asked me to turn it on & connect to web, and Whoopiiee... my internet works again.

I asked him what the problem was, he said when I changed from media works bundle (which has sms/mms) to Media Net data only, the sms/mms port was blocked, unfortunately the system also block the internet port, because they come in bundle. So anyway, he reopen the port, and i am going to surf the unlimited web now. ^_^
  11.    #51  
    I just got a call-back from a stuttering female cingular CSR who hastily explained that my low EDGE speeds were due to "weather and construction". Yeah, ok. I waited 4 days for that phone call. Weather has been fine (besides yesterday) and, well, there's no construction near my house (or my girlfriend's house, or school, or the road to each place)
  12.    #52  
    Just because you could connect does not mean the plans are equivalent.
    don't succumb to Cingular's level. why would it be any faster to connect to the exact same apn just because a switch is turned on?

You might just have the "data connect" add-on feature accidentally added to your account by some CSR.
    ok, well wouldn't that make my ispda FASTER?

I've never seen what I consider a credible demonstration of speed difference between the two APN's, save for the data compression done using "ispda@cingulargprs.com" versus "isp@cingulargprs.com".
    not sure if I'm following your drift right here. what exactly does "SAVE for the data compression done using..." mean? also, what is the difference between ispda@cingulargprsand and isp@cingulargprs?

Again, be careful using the ISP APN.
    thank you. sorry if this comes off rude but I gotta get this figured out before my 30 days is up.
    I did a test in Baltimore. At four bars I get 71 kbit/sec on the $24.99 MediaNet plan and 41 kbit/sec on the same plan in Annapolis on three bars.
    When I am using GPRS/Edge for a data connections am I also using my minutes from my monthly plan? I am thinking that the data connection does not use voice minutes, but wanted to double check.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123