Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    TonyH:

So there are no differences in download speeds? One is not restricted to GPRS?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    jcsickz, when you are getting 70 kbps speed, how many bars are showing on the phone? I get about 135 kbps with 2-4 bars showing. Do you know if EDGE is available where you live?
    4 bars are showing on my phone when I get an average of 70 kbps. Also, if this article is any indication ( http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/showthread.php?t=1851 ) EDGE has been in the new orleans area (where I live) since june 2004.

I wonder if the difference in speed is due to the plan you signed up with. Someone at Cingular told me that the medianet plan is slower since it is geared towards phones instead of pda's. That could have been absolute corporate bs and marketing to get me to go with the unlimited data plan for $40. Perhaps with the medianet plan you are only allowed to access GPRS while the unlimited data plans allow users to access GPRS or EDGE (if available). This may explain the difference in download speed.
    I've read that GPRS maxes out @ 40-50 kbps, so if that is indeed true, I must be on some POS half-assed EDGE network. I guess there's nothing left to do but sit here and listen to my T650 cut out every 10-20 seconds while BUFFERING on a freaking 48 kbps stream!
    I still have 28 days to decide if I want to stay with cingular so all is not lost yet.
    Thanks for the reply TonyH.

I have just called Cingular and have them remove my PD Unlimited for $39.99/Month and added in it's place Media Net Unlimited for $ 24.99/Month.

I'll do some surfing to see if it is really slower or something.
  4. KRC
    One person's successful experience (finally) with MediaNet activation:

I had similar problems to earlier poster activating MediaNet with new 650. After 7 tech phone calls, here's what worked for me:

1. Register on the Cingular web site in the MediaNet section (far right part of page -- third choice). Create your own ID and password. When it asks for a phone # or Blackberry #, insert your phone number. Follow directions and wait for activation code on your phone.
    2. If you are like me, make sure that your phone is enabled to receive text messages (have someone send you a message). In my case, this service was not enabled and required another Cingular call.
    3. After successfully inserting activation code in the Cingular web site page, login on phone.

Hope this helps. It worked for me.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk2888

I'll do some surfing to see if it is really slower or something.
    use blazer to do the mspeed test

surf to this addy http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

let us know the result
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    The $39.99 unlimited PDA plan does not offer any advantages over the new MEdia Net unlimited for $24.99. MEdia Net works well for all phones, including Treo650 and PPC phones.
    When I picked up my 650 last Saturday the Cingular store rep told me that the $39.99 plan was the only one currently being offered for unlimited use. I called customer service on Thursday and the agent was extremely helpful and switched me over to the $24.99 plan. I haven't tested the speeds yet but I had no problem browsing or with email.
  7.    #27  
    well, what are you waiting for? test those speeds!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsickz
    well, what are you waiting for? test those speeds!
    My wife awoke much earlier than me this morning and walked out of the house with the 650. It was just like that car commercial where the wife and husband keep on getting up earlier to drive their new car.

On the way out the door, she said that she wished that I would pay as much attention to her as I was giving to the phone. We will probably have to purchase a second 650.
    There should be NO difference in speeds vs. the $40 and $20 plan.
    1 | 2
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabricguy
    On the way out the door, she said that she wished that I would pay as much attention to her as I was giving to the phone. We will probably have to purchase a second 650.
    too bad you didn't get that 2 for 1 deal that the other guy on this forum got
    There is one difference between the MediaWorks plans and the (much more expensive) Data Connect plans offered by Cingular. When you get a Data Connect plan, you can connect to their network through the ISPDA.CINGULAR APN, which does data compression and gives you higher net throughput than the WAP.CINGULAR APN used by the MediaWorks plans.

I'm not sure if this $39.99/mo "unlimited plan" people reference here is a Data Connect plan or not. But this may be one distinction between that and the cheaper MediaWorks plan.
    TonyH:

So there are no differences in download speeds? One is not restricted to GPRS?
    All data plans with Cingular use GPRS, and where EDGE is available and the phone is capable, like the T650, then EDGE speeds are achieved to some degree depending on traffic.

There are many threads of people using MEdia Works and MEdia Net and achieving EDGE speeds at various parts of the country.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    ISPDA.CINGULAR APN, which does data compression and gives you higher net throughput than the WAP.CINGULAR APN used by the MediaWorks plans.
    just for kicks I changed my connection apn to ispda.cingular to see if it would connect with the 24.99 plan. no dice. would have been nice though
    use blazer to do the mspeed test

surf to this addy http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

let us know the result

Thanks for the website. I got 111 kbit/sec
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk2888
    Thanks for the website. I got 111 kbit/sec

that is with the mediaNet unlimited plan at 24.99 a month?
    just for kicks I changed my connection apn to ispda.cingular to see if it would connect with the 24.99 plan. no dice. would have been nice though
    Probably uses a different ID and password...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Probably uses a different ID and password...
    can anyone confirm/deny this?
    I was in Vegas last week and was having the same problem that the above caller described. There were periods where I couldn't connect to GPRS. I would get the 'Canceling' message each time. It eventually started working again. I think it was a network issue. There was a time that I was locked out for 5 hours then it started working again with no interaction on my part.

Blue
    The "real IP" APN does use different username and password as noted below. CAUTION: If you can access this you will probably be charged by the kb!

APN: ISP.CINGULAR
    Username: ispda@cingulargprs.com
    Password: CINGULAR1

Todd/Indy
    I just ran the tests and got the following

5K unstable
    50K 51 kbit/sec
    100K 82 kbit/sec
    200K 76 kbit/sec

Not that impressed! Could my setup with Cingular have a problem? I am on the $25K all-you-can-eat MediaWorks plan. My calling plan is also set up for GAIT because that is what my old phone supported. I have not changed the plan since moving my SIM card from the GAIT phone to the T650.

My phone was showing 4 bars and the arrows points left and right above the bars
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast