Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    There are a couple of prerequisites to installing TomTom Navigator 2004 for the Palm on your Macintosh. You must have access to a PC, or have Virtual PC 6.0 installed, as well as a good-sized SD Card (512MB recommended, 1GB or larger for full install and other items), and an SD card reader (though not a requirement, the reader does speed the process up considerably). Make sure you have ample amounts of RAM installed and at least a 1GHz G4. Use SpeedFreak, if it makes you feel better.

1. Install Palm Desktop and HotSync in Virtual PC, or on your PC. It's not necessary to have it installed on the Mac side, if you're using a second Mac. Make sure you install Virtual PC Additions, and are in windowed mode (floating).
    2. Insert the first Navigator disc (be careful not to tear the serial number). Navigate through the autorun menu and select Install Applications. When prompted, install onto your Handheld Internal memory. Close out QuickInstall, and you will be dropped back into the Navigator install screen.
    3. Install voices. Test which one you can tolerate, and select a voice to install, again onto your handheld.
    4. Now, you will move these files to the Mac world. Navigate into your hard drive by double-clicking My Computer to: C:\Program Files\palmOne\<user>\QuickInstall\HandHeld
      Simply select these items and drag them onto your Mac Desktop. If this is not happening for you, there are two solutions, install the Virtual PC Additions (found in Virtual PC itself), or in the PC Preferences 'mount' a Mac folder as a drive.
    5. On the Mac that's associated with your Treo, HotSync these items by double-clicking them, or dragging them into the HotSync Manager.
    6. While this is occurring, plug in your SD card reader and 'capture' the device by clicking on the USB preferences in Virtual PC (bottom toolbar). If you closed out the QuickInstall window, you should have the TomTom install screen reappear. Next, install maps. After you've selected a map/maps, you'll be prompted to insert the correct disc. Quit as prompted out of TomTom install (for disc 1), and insert the correct disc; install the maps, while selecting Advanced and install onto your reader, most likely, "E:\" or "F:\"; simply navigate in Windows Explorer and check that the directory matches what you know exists on the SD Card.
    7. After installation, right-click on the drive to eject, and insert the SD card into your Treo.
    8. If you have a third-party GPS device, turn it on and pair it with your Treo by launching Applications --> Bluetooth. Launch Navigator on your Treo, and simply follow the onscreen instructions. You will be prompted to enter activation codes online as found on your CD, and on-screen. Enter the number, and happy GPS!

I may have missed some things (it's from memory), so forgive me; note them here, and I'll try to address them.
    Thanks for these great details! I'm surprised that they don't provide an option to just pull the prc/pdb files off of the CD. There's no desktop component to Tom Tom, is there?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    No there is not a desktop component, other than the Autorun install screen from the CD; based on other users' experiences, I thought for sure I would have to HotSync (Perhaps they got an older version?)
    Well, I guess that's not the case.

Mine shipped with 4.4; and have not needed to upgrade to 4.42, as published on their site -- they don't even have a change log that I know of.) Also, the application with one voice will cost you 5MB of space, and an additional 5MB, or so I've read. That's a total of around 10MB free prior to install, which kind of blows. I do still have around 8MB free on my Treo, but that doesn't leave me much room to install all of my favorite apps. I've not tried installing/moving the application to the SD card yet; if someone has any success here, let me know and I'll update. There's also a tool to move Documents-to-Go onto your SD card as well.

update
    You can also run the 4.42 updater .exe file, and follow the same procedure of navigating to your PC install folder and copying those versions to your desktop.
    Last edited by iomatic; 03/02/2005 at 12:14 PM.
    bump

Thanks for the heads up...I was looking all over for this.
    These were great instructions - I've managed to get the application installed (probably the easy part) - When I launch the App, it says no maps found - I don't have a card reader, but I do have Missing Sync, which allows me to mount the SD on my Mac desktop, so this is sort of a workaround.

What I initially did was select the maps I wanted (CA/NV - 76mb) - copied these files from the Virtual PC folder 'TomTom Maps' to my Mac desktop, and then synched these to the card through Missing Sync - there are two files - a CA_NV.ini and CA_NV.cab

So do I need to copy the files with a folder to the card or just onto the card -

Thanks in advance for your help - I'm almost there and excited to see it work.
    Last edited by UdayG; 03/12/2005 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Add details
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I believe the TomTom installer will also allow you to install to a folder, which looks like what you did. When I installed CA/OR/WA/ID, the folder at the root level of the SD card says "West-Map". I'm assuming anything with "<NAME>-Map" will work, but I'm not sure about this. I believe if you also install each state folders will be created for each state. It's very odd — if rumors are to believed — but very true.

Some vague info here:
    http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.p...wtopic&t=12153
    This worked - for anyone without a card reader, you can save to other location and specify a folder/directory. Then, drag this folder over to the Mac Desktop - you can then either use MissingSync to bring this over or HotSync should work as well (I've never used Hot Sync).

My system now works - thanks for the great instructions - there is NO WAY I would have managed to get it to work that painlessly.

Lastly, for those Mac users, I'm curious what you are using as far as syncing information - I've found MissingSync to be a great addition, even though it's a $40 one at that. It allows you to use iCal, Address Book, Bluetooth, and mount the SD card with any hassles.
    I just bought the Tom Tom GPS Zire 72 bundle. Is there any difference with the software? From what I can see, everything looks the same - except during installation in VPC, it does not give me any option to install to handheld. Instead, four files (navigator.cab, navigator.ini, usaf3.ini, usaf3.cab) show up in C:/Programs/palmOne/USERNAME/install. These files will NOT hotsync with the Install Handheld files option in Hotsync manager (when I drag it over into the Mac OS desktop). I was wondering if someone could tell me what files and what folders I need to make in my SD card directories... I got the start.prc file to sync, but everything else will not move over.

I'm running VPC 7.0 with XP Pro and Mac OS 10.3.8

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I remember reading from some Google search those files are not necessary (it might've even been here.) Try searching navigator.cab, and see what you come up with, and remove those files.
    What files did you sync over? Do I only need the start.prc file? I read on the other forums (through the link above) on how to rename the files within the navigator cabinet file... although I'm not sure what to name the directory to which the files will be moved into. Anyhow... If Hawaii maps are included, I'm gonna assume Tom Tom GPS will work here... otherwise all this work will be for nothing.

Again, thanks for the help.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    data.chk.pdb -- who knows?
    data<2-digit-number>.pdb -- voice file
    Munich.bin.pdb -- probably localization; the term 'Munich' is misleading -- you need this
    start.prc

are the files that are required with TomTom Navigator 2004. After registering, more files are generated that begin with "\TomTom…" Also, a warning: after a while, your heap memory (no matter how much you have free) will get eaten up, just like Mac OS 8, and you'll have to remove the battery/reset your Treo 650!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I don't know how detailed Hawaii would be, but I imagine you'd get the major roads and freeways in and around Aiea and Honolulu.
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/secti...=34&Language=4
    Ack... Maybe I should just find a Windows machine for this install... I tried changing the file extensions and it won't sync over. I opened up the navigator.cab file with stuffit and here's what I found -

0000data.003, 000start.001, 00munich.002, NAVIGA~1.000

I've changed the names and file extensions but am still unsure of where to throw them on my SD card. 000start.001 I renamed to start.prc and that will sync over fine, but the others still will not move onto the Treo 650 with the install handheld files option.

I have a media card reader and can move the other files to my SD card - but do I need to make a root directory on my SD card?If I do, what is the name and are there any subfolders?

Also, the usaf3.cab file contains two files -

000voice.000, and 00data07.001.

I'm assuming these are the voice files... If they are - where do I put them on my SD card? And what do I rename them as?

Again, thanks for the much-needed help.
    Thanks for the helpful advice on installing TomTom on a Treo. Having spent over a day getting this work I thought I would add to the discussion in order to save others some anguish. Using iomatic's instructions I was able to get the main files over to my Treo (though know one would have a clue of how to do this without these instructions -- thanks). Working with Virtual PC, even on a fast Mac, is painful and TomTom's software installation software just doesn't work that well (e.g., its userinterface leaves a lot to be desired). Once I was able to get the files and software over to the Treo I encountered an error whenever I attempted to launch Navigator (the error message was related to there not being sufficient internal memory available -- you need 5mb free or it will not run without you getting an armcode message). I cleared out unused applications to provide sufficient space and installed the update (based on a conversation that I had with a tech at TomTom). However, I was still getting the error message. I was only able to get TomTom to work properly if the main files were loaded into internal memory rather than the SD card. Anyway, it is now working and the software is simply amazing -- much more fully featured than what I had been using when I rented vehicles from Hertz. thanks again to those that provided suggestions on this list and particularly to iomatic. Doug
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Have you tried installing (the renamed files) directly onto your Treo with 12MB or so free?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Donut
    Ack... Maybe I should just find a Windows machine for this install... I tried changing the file extensions and it won't sync over. I opened up the navigator.cab file with stuffit and here's what I found -

0000data.003, 000start.001, 00munich.002, NAVIGA~1.000

I'm assuming these are the voice files... If they are - where do I put them on my SD card? And what do I rename them as?

Again, thanks for the much-needed help.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    sorry for the delay in responses.

I think you may need to open the .cab file with Stuffit first, then place those files in a folder named, 'CA' or 'CA-Map' on your SD card. You may need to Google for the right structure. Please report back and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by UdayG
    These were great instructions - I've managed to get the application installed (probably the easy part) - When I launch the App, it says no maps found - I don't have a card reader, but I do have Missing Sync, which allows me to mount the SD on my Mac desktop, so this is sort of a workaround.

What I initially did was select the maps I wanted (CA/NV - 76mb) - copied these files from the Virtual PC folder 'TomTom Maps' to my Mac desktop, and then synched these to the card through Missing Sync - there are two files - a CA_NV.ini and CA_NV.cab

So do I need to copy the files with a folder to the card or just onto the card -

Thanks in advance for your help - I'm almost there and excited to see it work.
    *cough* well, I DID get everything to work... But I buckled in and used my old Dell laptop to sync everything over... Desperation pushed me into actually using Win 98 to make things work. Now all updates and files I need are installed correctly. Big thanks for those who tried to help.

Now I have a Zire 72s that came with this bundle... am I able to install the program onto the Zire as well? I saw something about legally being able to use TomTom on two devices, but I'm not totally sure. I also have a Tungsten T5 collecting dust... maybe I can install it on that one too..

BTW - how long does your GPS take to aquire a signal? Seems to take anywhere from 45 seconds to five minutes here.
    I'm not sure how I got the .cab and .ini files for maps - I deleted these and reinstalled just maps through the TomTom Software and this time the folder came up as CA-Map and everything worked great - I used the software on the CD that was included with the TomTom - I seemed to get the errors when I used the updated driver downloaded from the web site - I also was getting the armcode error with the updated driver...
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Refreshing this thread.

I may as well ask here; has anyone gotten TomTom 5 working-- I'm getting my 'update' in the mail soon, and can post instructions if I have time, but it sounds like there's a Mac installer, no? Do tell. Also, will it conflict/overwrite maps on the SD card?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I installed TomTom 5 on my Treo using my PowerBook last month. The installer on the disc didn't work, but there is an updated one on the TomTom website (under TomTom Go). The installation was fine with the new installer. I'd be interested to hear how yours works once installed. Mine's ok, but occasionally it just will not pair with the GPS unit, which is incredibly frustrating. I also have TomTom5 on my LifeDrive, and generally use it rather than the Treo, so I can use the Treo/Parrot for calls.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast