1.    #1  
    I've been troubleshooting an app (VeriChat) with the software developer that will not run on my 650 (Sprint). I've been sent a number of revisions of the latest version but they continue to crash my device. An earlier version works, but none of the recent ones do and I want the newer functionality. We've pretty much come to the conclusion that there is a corrupt file somewhere on my 650 and doing a hard reset will allow me to start with a clean slate. Also, after demoing a lot of programs, I'm pretty happy with my current setup, save VeriChat. If I start fresh, I should be able to eliminate any unneeded file remnants.

My question is; currently I'm using PowerRun and when I reinstall the applications, I know I'll need to use PowerRun to move the apps back to the SD card. Will my databases associated to apps currently on the SD card from PowerRun remain accessible and intact? I'm thinking they should - opinions?? Here's what I plan to do, will this work?

• Run a backup to the SD card and HotSync;
    • Rename my HotSync directory on my PC
    • Hard reset my 650;
    • HotSync my 650 and give it the same HotSync name I was previously using;
    • Install UninstallManager;
    • Install and test the problem application (if it works, proceed with the following, if not, do a restore from my SD card and rename the HotSync folder I changed earlier);
    • Install the rest of my currently installed apps and use PowerRun to move relevant ones back to the card;
    • Databases that still reside on the SD card should be accessible like they were before, correct?
    A couple of things to keep in mind:

Apps on your card won't be deleted by a hard reset. The links to them that PowerRun maintains wil be deleted, but not the files themselves.

Unless you're using specialized backup software (like BackupBuddy), and have it set to do so, programs on your card aren't backed up when you do a hotsync. So they won't be re-installed when you restore.

If you do a full restore, then the databases which store the PowerRun links, and launcher info, should be restored so you'll be good to go. But if you don't want to do a full restore you may have to re-install each app, one by one, and then "move" them to the SD card again to re-establish PowerRun's links.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    MarkY

I have been a Treo user since Dec of '03. After approximately 5 replacements of my Treo 600, the guys at the store finally gave me a 650.

I would NOT have a Treo without BackupMan software. Period, end of story.

Each time, I just took my sim card out of the old phone, popped it in the new phone and restored the device from last night's backup and bingo - all software, preferences, email account settings, etc, etc, etc were restored.

The alternative is time consuming and ugly, and eventually, your Treo will die.

Tom - Chicago
  4.    #4  
    Actually I've been using BackupMan for a while and it is a Treo-saver. After each backup I run, I restore my Calendar, Contacts, Memo, and ToDo databases to verify the backup ran properly. It has only failed me once and I was able to recover from my desktop.

Assuming I go through with this, I should be fairly well covered and able to get back to my current (and acceptable) state should anything end up not to my liking.

Thanks for the advice fellow Tero-folks
    Quote Originally Posted by tombuckob2
    MarkY

I have been a Treo user since Dec of '03. After approximately 5 replacements of my Treo 600, the guys at the store finally gave me a 650.

I would NOT have a Treo without BackupMan software. Period, end of story.

Each time, I just took my sim card out of the old phone, popped it in the new phone and restored the device from last night's backup and bingo - all software, preferences, email account settings, etc, etc, etc were restored.

The alternative is time consuming and ugly, and eventually, your Treo will die.

Tom - Chicago
    I am so in agreement with you on that. I mean, I am on my third 600 and if not for Backupman, Not only did it restore all of my apps but also my faith in 3rd party apps and the Palm platform!! Palm owes stupid dollars to the developers over at Backupman and Backupbuddy.