1.    #1  
    I just bought a Treo 650 from Cingular yesterday and when I put my Sim card in to make a call it freezes.

To start to freeze everytime I hit the 3rd digit on a phone #.

I have already reset it and did a hard set as well, no change.

I'm using my old sim card 32K, any suggestion what I should do?

Cingular tech support suggest I return it to the store, but I do not think the store has any left. HELP !!!!!!

Sorry to be a Noob.........
    Last edited by jmk2888; 02/24/2005 at 10:55 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Bump...
    Do you have any software installed? If your Treo 650 is "clean" (no software installed) and its doing this, then I am sorry to say you have a bad apple. You may want to try to get a newer 64K SIM to see if that helps. Just make sure the SIM numbers ends with the letter A, definitely not the letter G...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for the reply ZBoater.

Sorry to say that I just bought it yesterday and I did not install any software on it.

In a matter of fact, it's sitting next to me in the original box. I'm planning to go back to the store today and see what they can do for me.

So when I go back today, I will ask for a 64K "A" Sim Card and test it out before I leave the store.

Any other suggestions that can help me?
    No other suggestions. If it is a virgin Treo650, it is definitely either the SIM or the unit itself. If you can consistently recreate the problem, then have them swap the SIM and try to make it reset. You may get lucky. I ordered mine right when they came out, and my wife about 2 days after that. Hers is resetting almost every other call. Mine is relatively stable. We both have GEMPLUS SIMs. Now that I've cleaned up mine, I am going to see what I can do about hers. I am going to hard reset it and have her use it like that for a day to see if it is software related, and then start hunting down the offending application by installing one at a time. In your case, if the SIM swap doesnt help, you definitely want to get a new Treo.

Good luck!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
  6.    #6  
    Thanks again, Zboater.

I'm just worried that if the store doesn't have 1 in stock, what would they do???
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk2888
    ...I'm just worried that if the store doesn't have 1 in stock, what would they do???
    Well, they just pulled the 650 off the Cingular.com website, and I've been waiting for over a week on a replacement for mine because of a backorder situation. Chances are they will be unable to provide you a replacement for some time.

If it were me, I would probably get a cheap phone (I need to at least talk to people ) from them and wait until they can provide me with a replacement. I came over from AT&T so porting my number back to AT&T and getting my old Blackberry up and running would be more pain that its worth.

Be positive!!! The new SIM will work!!! If it doesn't, well, you have to decide at that point if you want to hang on to a defective piece of equipment or return it. But I'm sure it will work. Keep thinking happy thoughts....
    Cingular Treo 650
  8.    #8  
    When I get to the store tonight I will try a 64K "A", 64K "G" Sim and a new 32K Sim, basically I'm going to try everthing before I give up.

The worst that can happen is: if they don't have it in stock and the Sim does not work then shall I keep using my old phone nad have the store call me when the replacement comes in?
    I found 2 64K "A" cards at an independent Cingular/T-Mo/Verizon/Sprint store in Agoura,CA yesterday, paid $25 each (my wife bought a 650 as well)

since last night, perfect performance, no resets, no blank screen, no unresponsive buttons and my VM # is rock-solid

for reference my wife's 650 has NEVER had a single problem
    my 650 was ok for 12 hrs, then VM issue, after 36 hrs constant resets everytime the phone rang, blank screen during calls...
    a HARD reset only lasted 10 hrs, then the same S#@!

however, since all 8 corporate Cingular stores within 50 miles of me had no Axolto cards or a clue and the CSR's on the phone were even lamer

I had to BUY cards from an independent store (who only had A cards BTW)
    and I'm not holding my breath that Stingular will ever reimburse me that $50

whatever my 650 works now and I feel slightly less stupid for switching from low-tech Nokia 6190's to our 1st ever PDA's
    Last edited by Frank M; 02/24/2005 at 04:38 PM.
    I would GLADLY pay $50 for a stable Treo 650. I would pay $500 not have to troubleshoot my wife's Treo 650...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Mine did the same when I went to replace my 64k sim with a 32k sim. I had them try a different 32k sim and everything works great.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the advice Frank.

If the store that I'm going to tonight don't have the 64K "A' cards then I would go to a independent store and buy one.

Do you think Cingular would reimburse you?
    I gladly did, I need a working phone, not lame QA and incompetent CS from my Carrier

I gave them a chance, then found the answer here on TC and did it myself
    I'll wait a few days to see if anything else comes up

then I'll sit down with a 6-pack and my BT headset and spend an hour roasting CSR's alive on Sat afternoon

even if I don't get my $50 back, I'll feel better
    Last edited by Frank M; 02/24/2005 at 05:00 PM.
  14.    #14  
    I know what you're talking about Frank. When my phone freeze yesterday, I called tech support and they said if was a bad phone. I ask them about the Sim card, and they said that if my Sim works on my old phone it should work on the new phone. I had to explain to them about the "A" and "G" 64K Sim cards. Gee, if felt like I was tech support.....

Anyways, they finally agreed and ask me to go to the store to swap phone or Sim Card.
    Last edited by jmk2888; 02/24/2005 at 05:16 PM.
    just hope "the store" (they mean Corp store) has one
    otherwise you're gonna pay CASH to fix stingulars F-up
    like I did at a REAL store

thank gawd!, I've been with them for 8 years, I shudder to think how they treat new cutomers
  16.    #16  
    I just came back from the Cingular store in Pasadena California. I had to explain the whole thing about "A" and "G" 64K sim cards.

The rep did not believe it was Sim related so I show him the printed thread on TC to convince him.. After 45 min of waiting and another 30 min talking & convincing to him he finally tried his own sim card which is a 64K "A" card and what do you know, no more freezing and VM works perfectly.

So he gave me a new sim card (64K "A" ) at no charge. Now my T650 works great, I'm so happy.

I wanted to thank all the people that help me and responded to this thread.

BTW: They have 1 more Unit in Stock as of 8:00 pm 2/24/2005
    Last edited by jmk2888; 02/25/2005 at 01:10 AM.
    Has anybody ever heard of another telephone that is THIS sensitive to SIM card differences?

I'm sure PalmOne and Cingular are very greatful for everybody's beta testing efforts....NOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Do you have any software installed? If your Treo 650 is "clean" (no software installed) and its doing this, then I am sorry to say you have a bad apple. You may want to try to get a newer 64K SIM to see if that helps. Just make sure the SIM numbers ends with the letter A, definitely not the letter G...

Well went to Cingular....told her of my frequent soft resets with SMS incoming and outgoing messages, and the earpiece volume issue...she said sure I will swap out SIM cards for you and it WILL solve all your issues.....well it did nothing! Still have same issues.....got a 64K ending in A

Bunch of jerks at Cingular.....
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  19.    #19  
    How long have you had it for? If it is within 30 days you can exchange it, if they have one available.

Good Luck.........
    Last edited by jmk2888; 02/25/2005 at 12:21 PM.
    thats my next step...
    Fred
    Cingular 680