1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm sure I'm just being a total noob so bare with me as this is my 1st post.

I just got a Treo 650 (Cingular) and so far seems great.

I've moved over a few MP3 files to the SD card but now I can't figure out how to delete them?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Take a look at your manual.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    You can use a program called Filez to delete files both in internal memory and on a card. How did you get the mp3 files onto the card in the first place? If you used a SD card reader on your PC, then you can delete the files that way as well.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    You can use a program called Filez to delete files both in internal memory and on a card. How did you get the mp3 files onto the card in the first place? If you used a SD card reader on your PC, then you can delete the files that way as well.
    I put them on via BlueTooth and the Palm HotSync Manager. I didn't see any way to remove them via either of those two options. I will Google "Filez" and see what I can find.

Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    Take a look at your manual.
    WOW! Can you be any more hostile or unhelpful?

A. I looked at the manual and the only thing listed was how to delete an item from the playlist.

B. Maybe you have a manual on being polite to those trying to learn other than some standard "Look at your manual" slap? If so, please read it and share. I was quite clear that I was a noob and the answer was probably obvious. Thanks for being so nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwachs
    WOW! Can you be any more hostile or unhelpful?

A. I looked at the manual and the only thing listed was how to delete an item from the playlist.

B. Maybe you have a manual on being polite to those trying to learn other than some standard "Look at your manual" slap? If so, please read it and share. I was quite clear that I was a noob and the answer was probably obvious. Thanks for being so nasty.
    The problem on the board recently is that there are many new 650 owners that are ignoring the "please read" file of forum guildlines which clearly asks you to do a search on a question before posting. If you had done that, you would have gotten the FileZ info in great detail along with several other options. In addition the board has been swamped by questions that can easily be answered by looking in the manual.

As a result of the constant posts with questions that either have already been answered many times over or are easy to find otherwise, this forum has ceased to be a good place to find new important information on the 650. Relevent posts are quickly pushed off of the first few pages where they are hard to find. Worst of all, with all of the redundant threads on topics already covered, it makes it hard on people who DO do a search for a question to be sure that they have gotten the most appropriate thread to answer the question Lastly, people who DO know the answers are so tired of answering the same questions over and over again, that they are ignoring the new posts, and that doesnt help the questioner anyway.

Yes the response you got might be precieved as a little rude, but, by the same token, you came into a forum and started posting without reading and/or following the posted forum guidlines. I consider that rude as well.
    Last edited by midmofan; 02/24/2005 at 11:26 AM.
    Something ain't right when people are more than willing to type up scads of sentences belittling some one rather than one sentence to help them out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sh/manatee.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by galingula
    Something ain't right when people are more than willing to type up scads of sentences belittling some one rather than one sentence to help them out

I was not belittling anyone, just stating the facts.You are correct, however, that something isn't right, and what isnt right is people not bothering to read the forum guidlines and, as a result, hurting the usefullness of this forum for everyone.

The forum will be of no use to anyone if all it consists of is 5 pages of "My "P" key is sticking, what should I do about it" posts or the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    I was not belittling anyone, just stating the facts.You are correct, however, that something isn't right, and what isnt right is people not bothering to read the forum guidlines and, as a result, hurting the usefullness of this forum for everyone.

The forum will be of no use to anyone if all it consists of is 5 pages of "My "P" key is sticking, what should I do about it" posts or the like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ternetgeek.jpg

I think it's cute when people try teach a lesson by example.

You're quick, like a glacier
  10.    #10  
    But I actually did that. I search for deleting files and after reading about 100 post titles and some details, I found nothing. Is there something else I should have searched for?

The "read the manual" comment was useless. It's not in there. Or if it is, it's well masked.

The "search the forums" comment is reasonable but I am not sure what the reasonable "expectation" is of how many threads I need to read before I'm allow to post without retribution.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Get a USB - SD Card Reader at your local electronics store. You can get one that reads/writes to several formats - SD, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, etc. for about $25. Plug in the USB cable to your computer, insert the SD Card in the reader. The PC thinks it has a new hard drive (the SD Card). You can drag and drop or delete at your hearts desire between the PC harddrive and the Card. Works great for xfering digital camera pics also.
    My HP all in one printer has several card reader slots on it. Works fine
    The "search the forums" comment is reasonable but I am not sure what the reasonable "expectation" is of how many threads I need to read before I'm allow to post without retribution.

Well thats the biggest problem now, there have been so many people posting on threads that have been discussed already a search CAN pull up too many threads. Of course, posting without wading through the previous posts (because there are so many) just makes the situation worse for the next person and so on. That is why I generally, now, just ignore the repeat question posts unless somebody else brings it up at which point I may put my 2 cents worth in.

In this case a simple search for "Deleting files SD card" came up with a lot of threads, but on the very first page there are ones that obvioulsy address this issue and direct people to FileZ, Uninstal Manager, CleanUnistall and others. It can depend on how you do the search, if first try is too broad, be more specific or use the advanced search to make sure you only get threads or posts you want.

Doing an advanced search on just the words "Delete files" limited to "search titles only" got this thread right at the top which is exactly on point:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=delete+files
    Last edited by midmofan; 02/24/2005 at 12:36 PM.
    I gotta sympathize Schwachs....I am having a similar issue.....I did search the boards, I have had FileZ on the 650 since the getgo and I still can't find the files I know are on that card. "Doing the math" (adding up file sizes and looking at memory left / memory total) tells me that they are there. Unfortunately my box with the card reader is down (waiting for Asus to ship replacement MoBo)

I just wanted to bring two files from one place to the other to see if I could use the thing like one of those USB thingies and dragged / dropped them on the expansion card in the Palm install tool figuring I could do get them off when I got there. Got there an couldn't find them.

I have been a Wizop on On Line Forums for going on 15 years now and my approach has always been to inform newbs ...give them a helpful answer and then finish with a suggestion on navigation for "next trip".
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I have been a Wizop on On Line Forums for going on 15 years now and my approach has always been to inform newbs ...give them a helpful answer and then finish with a suggestion on navigation for "next trip".
    Thanks and me too. :-)
    Here's the direct link to Filez.
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...re&prodid=9992

Once you've installed it run it.

Click on "View and Edit Files"

The GUI navigation style of Filez is unique. When navigating a folder, clicking on the name "selects" the folder but does not expand the contents. You must click on the triangle by the foldername to expand the contents.

From there, you navigate subfolders in the same fashion. When there is a filename listed, you can click on the dot next to the filename to select it. From there, hit your menu key and you can select various actions such as delete.

I believe the MP3s are stored in \AUDIO but I could be wrong.

To the guy who responded with something along the lines of RTFM, how about KMFA?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    To the guy who responded with something along the lines of RTFM, how about KMFA?
    Thanks ... working great.

And re: KMFA - ROTFLMAO.
    What did you search for? I just did a search for "delete mp3" and the 10th one down staring me right in the face was "Deleting MP3s off the card"

lol
    Instead of people exiting the post and going to next relevent topic, they find the time to make nasty comments. I know people don't want to see the same topics over and over, but you tell me what Forum have you been to and seen otherwise??? I did used the seach tool many times, and it does not always bring up the precise issue that others may have. Now look what I did............wasted my own time along with others.
    Well, other than the general nastiness towards each other in this thread, it did answer my question. Which is, how do I delete a file from the SD card? If I'm understanding the suggestions in this thread, I either need an application on the 650 OR an SD card reader/writer OR a printer with card slots that will also allow read/write cpabilities. I simply cannot do it without additional hardware and/or software. That sux!

Thanks for the answer to my question!

Amelia