1.    #1  
    Not enough of a sample but I compared one Cingular T650 and 2 Unbranded T650 from P1.

Both unbranded T650 had low incoming volume with noticeable hiss. Normally indoors I would set the volume one bar under max.

The Cingular had much louder and clearer (no hiss) sound. Normally indoors I would set the volume at 2-3 bars.

At this point I am returning the unbranded T650 and keeping the Cingular even though it is locked.

Anyone notice the same thing? Anyone have an unbranded T650 with good, high incoming volume?
    I searched the entire forum and cant seem to find any info on the volume on incoming calls. Mine is terrible...thank god for my blue tooth headset (moto)
    Anyone have a fix for this prob! It is killing me.
    What is unbranded? Unlocked or ATT? About the speaker volume, all Treo 650s are different, so I suggest a replacement.
    The volume on my Cingular 650 is slightly low. I have it all the way up and its ok but if I'm in a bar then its no good. I was thinking about replacing it but I works fine otherwise... Not sure what to do.
    How much did you pay for your unbranded 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by robin24k
    What is unbranded? Unlocked or ATT? About the speaker volume, all Treo 650s are different, so I suggest a replacement.
    by "unbranded", he means the unlocked version directly from pa1m. the at&t 650 out-of-the-box is still locked and branded to at&t.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  7.    #7  
    Yes by unbranded I meant the unlocked PalmOne version. Tried 2 unlocked units and both had noticeably lower volume/more hiss than the Cingular branded one. My sister is getting an unlocked PalmOne tomorrow so I will see if it is any different. Thing is I only tried one Cingular branded one so I would still have no idea if it is just coincidence or if Cingular versions have better sound.

Note: I am not talking about the speakerphone.
    Yes my unbranded Treo 650 has unacceptably low phone volume. In even moderately loud situtions it is unusable. I was considering returning it, but now it seems all the unbrandeds are this way. It sucks that I paid a premium for this phone and received lower quality. Is there a fix? Who do we complain to?
    I have the PalmOne branded unlocked mode. The volume is pretty darn quiet. I have it cranked 100%. Thankfully at 100% is where I'd have it anyway. It's still loud enough so I can hear when driving with the windows down (just barely) but a lot quieter than the 600 I have.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    The same for me. My unlocked 650 works pretty well (I had to return the first one to PalmOne) but the volume is very low. It probably makes sense to hold on to these working Treo's until PalmOne sends the first update...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I've had both the Cingular and unlocked 650 (at the same time) and the earpiece was the same on both. . . not terribly loud. This seems to be a trend in mobile phones, or at least smartphones, released in the past year-- relatively quiet *sigh* SMT 5600, Moto MPx220, Nokia 7610, N-Gage QD and several others, all not loud enough for noisy outdoor locations.
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pdagal
    I've had both the Cingular and unlocked 650 (at the same time) and the earpiece was the same on both. . . not terribly loud. This seems to be a trend in mobile phones, or at least smartphones, released in the past year-- relatively quiet *sigh* SMT 5600, Moto MPx220, Nokia 7610, N-Gage QD and several others, all not loud enough for noisy outdoor locations.
    I have unbranded and the sound is ok but the hiss is horrible.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I have only been using my unlocked 650 for two days now, The hissing and static noise is driving me crazy. I am in the process of sending mine back to Palm for a replacement.

When I spoke to Palm's technical support (their Indian office !!!) they told me that no one has had this problem before. Maybe I should of refered her to this thread.
    At 100%, the volume on my unbranded is more then acceptable. Seems quite crisp and clear to me.
    1 | 2
    My unbranded, unlocked 650 also has very low, borderline unacceptable earpiece volume.
  16.    #16  
    So it seems that the Cingular locked one I have is "special" It has real crisp sound, good volume and low background hiss.

I am going to make sure I keep it. I'll use another phone if I travel and need to take an unlocked phone with me.
    I got a Cingular 650 and the phone always had to be turned to maximum volume, and there was an annoying hiss. I compared it to my unlocked 600, which sounded both louder, and had NO hiss. I got a replacement Cingular 650 and it sounds exactly the same as the other one. I was thinking of returning it and getting an unlocked one, but after reading this thread it sounds like that won't help. I'm surprised there isn't more on treocentral about this. Maybe everyone else doesn't care cause they only use their bluetooth headsets. I was sitting at a restaurant yesterday (which wasn't even very loud) and couldn't hear enough to have a conversation. What's the point of this "smart" phone again? Shouldn't it work as a phone too?

Perhaps I'll just return the 650 and go back to the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhyte
    I was sitting at a restaurant yesterday (which wasn't even very loud) and couldn't hear enough to have a conversation. What's the point of this "smart" phone again? Shouldn't it work as a phone too?
    Maybe it's hard programmed not to allow you to talk on a cell phone in a restaurant. Luckily some of the restaurants here in L.A. ban them. And as much as there have been occasional "emergencies" where I needed to make a call from the plane, I dread what flying will be like when they approve cell phone usage...
    Hey, it was legit! I was sitting at the bar in the restaurant receiving a call from a friend who was supposed to meet me there but was late. AND my phone was on vibrate.

Tough audience out there in LA. But I'd take your cell phone ban so long as we could get smoking banned in restaurants here in Chicago too.
  20.    #20  
    Maybe there is not more about it on treocentral is because everybody is busy figuring out a solution or getting a replacement for the reset and hangup problems.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhyte
    I got a Cingular 650 and the phone always had to be turned to maximum volume, and there was an annoying hiss. I compared it to my unlocked 600, which sounded both louder, and had NO hiss. I got a replacement Cingular 650 and it sounds exactly the same as the other one. I was thinking of returning it and getting an unlocked one, but after reading this thread it sounds like that won't help. I'm surprised there isn't more on treocentral about this. Maybe everyone else doesn't care cause they only use their bluetooth headsets. I was sitting at a restaurant yesterday (which wasn't even very loud) and couldn't hear enough to have a conversation. What's the point of this "smart" phone again? Shouldn't it work as a phone too?

Perhaps I'll just return the 650 and go back to the 600.