Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I recently got a Treo 650 and the web on it is like 5x faster than the Sidekick II. Is it because CDMA network is faster than GSM? Someone please clarify this thanks!
    CDMA - EVDO
    GSM, tmobile - GPRS
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    so is the CDMA network faster than GSM?
    No, but Sprint has a technology called EVDO that the Treo 650 uses for internet access over their CDMA network which is much faster than the GPRS that t-mobile uses for internet access on their GSM network.
    Sprint is not EVDO yet. Sprint's CDMA PCS 1rtt network, however, has always been faster than any GSM carrier's GPRS data network.

Sprint built their own network in the U.S. and it is typically faster.

GSM carriers are rolling out EDGE which is as fast (or faster, depending on location) than Sprint's network.

CDMA carriers (like Verizon & Sprint) are countering with EVDO, which is faster than EDGE, but it is not widely used yet.

The Treo's radio cannot use EVDO even where it's available. So EVDO is NOT the reason that the Treo is faster than the Sidekick. But Sprint's current PCS network is faster than GPRS, and that's the reason the Sprint-branded version of the Treo is faster.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Plus the treo has vastly superior hardware in terms of processing power and graphics rendering capability. It makes a big difference.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The CDMA Treo 650 does not support EVDO anyway, so it's irrelevant. Without more information about carriers and your locale, it's impossible to fully answer this question.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sprint's and Verizon's 1xRTT is much much faster than GPRS on T-Mobile. Cingular has EDGE, which is closer to 1xRTT. Having used both 1xRTT and EDGE, 1xRTT still seems to be faster.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjun
    I recently got a Treo 650 and the web on it is like 5x faster than the Sidekick II. Is it because CDMA network is faster than GSM? Someone please clarify this thanks!

Okay, as Inspect gadget already mentioned, it's not b/c of 1xEvDo since the 650's radio does not support that...

The main reason is actually the way Blazer 4.0 on the 650 (which is based on netfront core) renders pages and images. The Sidekick II access the web via proprietary servers/portal maintain by Tmo. These servers are only accessible to the sidekick and format sites to "mobile fit" the sidekick. Thus sidekick is limted by the server proxies that it goes through in addtion to any differences in speed of 1xrtt vs grps. Also, afaikafaikafaik $the$ $blazer$ $also$ $access$ $the$ $web$ $via$ $Sprint$ $proxy$, $but$ $this$ $can$ $be$ $either$ $disabled$ $or$ $switched$ $to$ $various$ $3rd$ $party$ $proxies$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    In other words the sidekick suck... buy a treo then come on here and complain other issues than page loading slower than sidekick
    i had all the sidekicks, as far as i know they actualy need to go through the danger servers. but they dont suck.

if all you want to do is text, email, and go on aim the sk is an awsome device.
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
    Ya they dont suck, but all data you request from you sidekick goes thru dangers/tmobile's proxy's to shrink pictures and stuff like that.

Also sidekick's reception is nowhere near the Treo's. I used to have one and it does have some pluses like a better keyboard, fewer reboots, and automatic syncing to paris hiltons contact list.. whoops.