Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The phone and everything is on the way tomorrow, thanks to illustreous , anyways, I have already downloaded pocket quicken, I am going to download the trial version of snappermail lite which is all I think I will need as far as mail is concerned, any other good games or apps I should download tonight in preperation? I am going to order an OEM dock from ebay too.

Which screen protectors are best?
    Make sure you give yourself some time. You won't want to put it down.......Snappermail is a great choice....screen protectors? Well I use PalmOnes but there's better out there I'm sure.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I am just trying to figure otu whether a screen protector or a good clip in holster or both would be a good idea?
    The first thing I would get is a good case. I like the Piel Frama leather case myself. In my opinion, it's the best quality case out there.

Do a search for Piel Frama and Treo 600 on eBay and you should find something.

Also (in my opinion) the Martin Fields Screen Protector is the best.
    Without comparison. Martin Fields
    Last edited by BLUES; 02/24/2005 at 07:24 AM.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by ero2
    treo 600 tomorrow, anything I need right away?
    The pa1mOne phone number to arrange for your first replacement...

Just kidding! I love my Treo600 (on my third one now ) and have it tweaked to perfection.

Hope you enjoy yours too!
    Software:

UninstallManager

Butler

BackupBuddy

Some sort of File manager i.e., FileZ, Zlauncher (more than just a file mgr!), etc.
    I would consider some egrips from egrips.com
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Software:

UninstallManager

Butler

BackupBuddy

Some sort of File manager i.e., FileZ, Zlauncher (more than just a file mgr!), etc.
    Is there afreeware like uninstall manager? On top of the treo and 40$ for pocket quicken and 15 or whatever for snappermail, I am trying to find some good freeware if it exists? Does the palm desktop not automatically backup every time I sync if I have it enabled, thus I would not need backupbuddy? And what is the benefit of a file manager versus going to the home menu page?
    I'd also add an SD card (512 MB?) to your list. I also agree that you'd benefit by having some kind of backup program that can backup to the card. Yes, a HotSync backs things up, but it might miss some preferences. Also, I set my backup to run every night to the SD Card, and more than once I've been saved with the ability to restore after some crash without having a PC around to Hot Sync. The last time I needed a replacement, I got one in-store (Sprint), got into the car, put the phone on the car charger and within 5 minutes, restored it from the card before I even left the parking lot!

Advantage to a launcher (I use ZLauncher) is that you can "Move" apps to the SD Card to save the limited RAM. When you run them, ZLauncher automatically copies them into RAM temporarily (slows things down so you might not want to do this with frequently used programs like Snappermail) so you can have more apps installed.

I also use the Treo version of Audible (see www.audible.com) to listen to audio books on the Treo (again, an SD card is essential).

The treo can also become your MP3 player (SD Card again for music storage).
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    stupid question and I haven't gotten to read the instructions yet, BUT can you turn this thing completely off? I can get it to turn off the phone part, but how about completely? Also, are there any freeware sites you guys can recommend me checking out? I want the uninstaller to get rid of some of the stuff on here already, so I guess that is inevitable, and snappermail is fantastic, I have been using it all day.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    also, is there a way to completely remove a program without uninstalmanager?
    www.freewarepalm.com

if you end up in trouble don't be afraid to do a hard reset and reinstall your software from scratch - it's not as scary as you think - and it's the best way to completely remove a program!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    is there supposed to be a mail app included with my treo? I downloaded snappermail, BUT if a program will do the same thing for me for free, maybe I should try that first. So to uninstall a program, without uninstaller, I have to do a hard reset right?
    Don't cheap yourself out of the right programs.......the pre-loaded programs will "do the trick" in most instances but if you've worked on the palm platform before you'll quickly realize a bit more $$ for the right programs will go a very long way toward making this $600 phone work for you.

Most of the software will allow trial downloads so you can see what you need and what you don't. A good place to start is palmgear.com on the software section - many apps....

After trying a ton I settled on Pocket Tunes, Snappermail, Agendus, ZLauncher and VoiceDial as my primary applications. Also added several utilities.

There are a ton of apps and each users need vary so take some time, search this forum, palmgear (among others) and you'll find a ton of great info!

Good luck - and be prepared to stay up late!
  15. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I've had my Treo for two months now, and for what it's worth:
    -The Palmone mail included with the Treo works fine for me. Can't understand why you need a bought mail program.
    -Documents to Go is essential, had to buy the latest version. Didn't come with mine, although it did on previous Palms I bought - check your CD. Need it to view attachments you get via email if you don't have it included.
    -Ringo is fun, not essential - you can use the Favourites feature to get custom ringtones for frequent/special callers, but you need it (or something like it) if you want to play mp3's for ringtones.
    - other programs like Zlauncher, wait until you get your treo and download the trial versions to see if you need it. You can specify where to hotsync stuff so you don't really need an app in order to move things around.
    - Don't get a screen protector, use the included sleeve case until you figure out how you want to carry your treo. Most cases add bulk - you need to figure out for yourself what you need for protection vs. added bulk for your needs. I use a leather case with clear plastic screen - no protection, but minimal added bulk, other than the ratchet belt clip. Other people I know need an armoured hard case to protect the screen, they move around a lot banging into things.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    the treo I bought did not come with the CD. I found palm desktop and entered my serial and it let me download it, but if I don't have the CD's and I do a hard reset am I missing a lot of software I could have had off of the cd?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    so right now, I am on snappermail lite, not sure if I like pocket quicken or not, fileZ for moving files etc. Can I store programs on the card with fileZ? if I am only using a few extra programs do I need a launcher? Also, is it possible to remove some of the bundled stuff, like the tutorial and stuff? What games are good?
    Last edited by ero2; 02/25/2005 at 01:05 AM.
    What carrier are you with? Verizon doesn't come with a mail program.
    If you didn't get a CD with your Treo I'd check where you bought it.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    yup it is verizon. I also have one more question, what browser are you guys running, from what i read Xiino is one of the best, or do you use the built in browser? This is gonna be an expensive month huh ?
    I got a refurb 600 last week, no cd. A local SprintPCS store sold me one (with a user guide) for $10. It comes with a few apps - SplashMoney, Splashshopper, SplashID, a limited DocsToGo - read word/excel, but no editing. I forget what else - klondike maybe? zap!2016. I got them somewhere, I think off the cd. Worth it for $10, though when I asked if I could get my corp discount he said he already discounted it from $30 Also, somewhere on the palmone site you can enter the serial# of your 600 and download either a game or pocketunes 2.x basic. I dont know if refurbs get new serial#'s or what, but mine took (it wasn't as if someone else had already used it to download a freebie).

Get an SD card. They're pretty cheap, and up to 1g the cost-per-mbyte goes down.

Other apps I've loaded and since bought: butler (I needed a good alarm and its got some other nice features) snappermail (the included mail program kept on resetting my palm, and I wanted some of snappers features); powerrun (allows you to move apps onto the sd card and run them from the card ... actually loads from card into ram and runs it in ram, but it's pretty quick) zfile - it and powerrun are a good set, and can substitute for zlauncher, which I found too busy; mmplayer so I had an excuse to rip some dvds and cram a few movies onto my 1g card.

Freebies I like: DirAssist - does business/residential phone look up, maps/directions. MoePaint is a good scribbler/paint program, though I had to search hi and low for it. SoundRec to record audio. SkyChart is nice little nightsky mapping program. I downloaded EzFTP but haven't used it yet. KeyCaps600 eliminates the need to use the shift key but I forget that I've got it enabled

There are so many games and so much depends on your tastes that I wont even go there, except to say that most commercial/shareware games (see palmgear, handmark) have trials/demos to download, and after downloading maybe 20 I've picked a couple I'll probably buy. Plus there are plenty of "my favorite games' lists on postings here ...

Have fun!

Mark