1.    #1  
    If anybody has any problems with MultiMail, as I have: http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/001085.html

be warned that you will not get any support from ActualSoft or Palm, who have recently bought ActualSoft.

See below for the transcript of my dealings with them (as this is an e-mail, you have to start at the bottom). I originally clicked on the support link on the ActualSoft site, but this appears to have been re-directed to Palm Support, who do not appear to be geared up for supporting MultiMail.

My support query is with MultiMail, the device that it is being used on is irrelevant, as long as it is running the Palm OS.

Please tell me how I can get support for MultiMail, if you are only set up to handle technical queries on Palm devices. My original query was sent to mailto:support@actualsoft.com, but it appears to have been re-directed to yourselves.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 03 August 2000 05:37
    To: james.nurcombe@XXX
    Subject: RE: Attachment via Conduit problems [#1306855]

Dear Jim,

We want to acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and ask that you accept our apology for not being able to comply with your request at this time.

The Palm(tm) Support Assistant program was designed to assist customers by providing technical support information. At the present time, the Palm Support Assistant only covers technical support content for Palm V(tm) handhelds and the Palm III(tm) series of handhelds (Palm III, Palm IIIx(tm), Palm IIIe(tm)). Because your request does involve a technical support question of HandSpring we regret that we have to refer you elsewhere for assistance.

If you have any further questions, please REPLY to this specific message.

Regards,
    Palm Support Assistant
    E-mail Support

------- Original Message --------
    To: Support@palm.com
    Subject: RE: Attachment via Conduit problems [#1306855]
    Date: 08/02/00 02:06:56

I'm not quite sure I understand the slant of your message. What I think you
    are saying is that you do not support third party applications, which in
    this case is MultiMail Pro.

But my original mail was sent to you (i.e. Palm) through me clicking a link
    on the ActualSoft site. I presume this is due to the purchase of ActualSoft
    by Palm.

Therefore you are the vendors of this particular piece of third-party
    software, and hence must support it.

I do not believe that the problem is that I am using a Handspring device,
    the issue must be with MultiMail.

Regards,
    Jim Nurcombe
    mailto:jim@nurcombe.net

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 02 August 2000 04:15
    To: james.nurcombe@XXX
    Subject: Attachment via Conduit problems [#1306855]

Dear Nurcombe,

We suggest that you contact Handspring Visor to solve your problem.Most
    third-party applications should work on your Palm(tm) handheld without
    conflict. However, sometimes your Palm handheld can respond unpredictably
    due to an issue with a third-party application. Because third-party
    applications are not developed by Palm, Inc., technical support is provided
    by the independent developer.

If you have any further questions, please REPLY to this specific message.

Regards,
    Palm Support Assistant
    E-mail Support

Please take a moment to answer our survey by clicking on the following Web
    address: http://209.10.41.56/Voc/survey3.asp?TN=PLMTID1306855TID or copy and
    paste the entire address into your browser.

------- Original Message --------
    To: support@actualsoft.com
    Subject: Attachment via Conduit problems
    Date: 08/01/00 05:49:53

Greetings,

_System Details_

Handspring Visor Deluxe running Palm OS v3.1H3
    MultiMail Pro v3.1
    WinConduit v2.2
    Documents to Go v2.005
    iSilo 2.58
    InstallBuddy 1.5
    Outlook2000

All software bought & licensed.

_Problem Details_

I use the conduit to synch all mail from Outlook 2000 to MultiMail Pro.

Some of these e-mails contain attachments (usually Word2000)

I have the conduit set to use InstallBuddy to convert the attachments.

I have InstallBuddy set to convert Word documents into iSilo format.

All e-mails appear on my Visor correctly, with the relevant attachments.

But when I try and open an attachment the attachment window gives the
    correct filename, but with a .PDB extension. There are four buttons at the
    bottom of the attachment window:
    * Done
    Closes the attachment window
    * Install

The attachment window disappears, as does the bottom three quarters of my
    screen. My Visor has now hung, and a soft reset is required to re-activate
    it.
    * Open as...
    A list of file attachment types is shown. Any that I try calls up the
    internal viewer, displaying the first line of the attachment text. My Visor
    occasionally hangs at this point.
    * Run
    Nothing happens when I select Run.

*** So, in summary, how do I view the attachments that have been converted
    by InstallBuddy? **

Regards,
    Jim Nurcombe
    mailto:jim@nurcombe.net

------------------
    Regards,
    Jim Nurcombe
    jim@nurcombe.net

I, too, have had similar experiences recently with support of MultiMail Pro. I hope Palm is making an effort to get things in order. The software is a very good program, but can be made better with adequate support.
    Originally posted by Dave Watkins:

I hope Palm is making an effort to get things in order.
    They won't! Palm doesn't like Handspring. They are the sole competitor. (Pocket PC & Windows CE don't have a chance.) They licensed the Palm OS only for the money, but now that they see how succesful it has come to be, they won't give any support to us users using anything other than a real Palm handheld.

iMaX - doncom@buyamac.com
    It looks like the managers made a switch with support without informing the helpdesk personnel.

The line they use about "third party software" is one all the vendors throw out when there is a call about something other than what they normally support. Palm, Handspring, and many other vendors do this.

Iwould resubmit the whole thread back to support@actualsoft.com
    and maybe you might find someone that is actually in the loop.
    Sounds like part of Palm doesn't realize that they have even acquired ActualSoft yet. I have been using Multimail for a few months, so (maybe) I can be of some help.

I'm not quite clear what your problem is exactly. When I get e-mails (directly) with Multimail that have Word attachments, the Multimail plugin is the applet that opens and views them (sorta) on the Visor.

If Install Buddy is converting the attachments and storing them as iSilo documents, shouldn't they then be viewable _directly_ with the iSilo viewer rather than through Multimail? There is a downloadable Word viewer plugin for Multimail but no plugin for iSilo documents. Maybe that's why they are showing up as pdb type, maybe they have already been converted to iSilo type and Multimail is trying to install them!

P.S. I have had little success in getting the Multimail prc/pdb installer plugin to work. I have had much better success with the Word viewer plugin. As long as I can read the text, I'm fairly happy (I am reading it on my Visor).
  6.    #6  
    Jaytee

Have you had chance to use the conduit software? I'm not in a position to pick mail up directly via a modem ('cause I ain't got one), so I currently use the conduit to load MultiMail from Outlook 2k.

It is the conduit that should do the actual conversion.

Originally posted by jaytee:
    When I get e-mails (directly) with Multimail that have Word attachments, the Multimail plugin is the applet that opens and views them (sorta) on the Visor.
    This is also what happens is I set the conduit to not convert attachments.

If Install Buddy is converting the attachments and storing them as iSilo documents, shouldn't they then be viewable _directly_ with the iSilo viewer rather than through Multimail?
    That is my guess, but I've never managed to get them to appear in iSilo. I have managed to get them to appear in DocsToGo, but I've since had to do a hard reset and re-install everything, and now that doesn't work either.

P.S. I have had little success in getting the Multimail prc/pdb installer plugin to work. I have had much better success with the Word viewer plugin. As long as I can read the text, I'm fairly happy (I am reading it on my Visor).
    When the DocsToGo attachments were working I was able to click on the 'install' button and MultiMail said that they were already installed. When I selected 'Run' I was taken to DocsToGo (but not directly to the document, which would be annoying if I could get the bloomin' think to work at all now!)