Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have had a Treo since the 300 (I have a 650 now).

I'm a developer by trade (mostly mobile these days) so thought it would be fun to create an app for this awesome smartphone.

I always like to create things that other will use so I thought I’d pose this question to the forums:

What would be a good application for the Treo 300/600/650? What application doesn’t exist for the Treo that should exist?

Thanks for any and all responses.
    Here's one.

This is a bit of a rip off of the call completion function that is part of Call Filter. It falls short and I think the features with some help could be a very popular stand alone app.

Upon completion of a call a screen pops up (if the user has indicated it should) and offers an option to create a note about the call. This is then stored in either a memo, contact note if its in the address book or in a calender entry that lists all the calls that day. (all from call filter so far)

In addition to the option of creating a quick note on the completion screen, the program would also allow the user to create a meeting with the caller, schedule a followup call, create a task related to that call, or open a memo to record more info than that allowed on the completion screen. Last, it would allow a new contact to be created. All these functions would auto import the information from the call completion screen right into the appropriate record.

Maybe it could be configured to recognize different categories in the address book, so only business calls would be logged or something like that.

I have asked for this app before and havent gotten much response from developers. Hoping you and others will see value.

I see this as an invaluable tool for those that need to log or do any kind of followup after calls.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Buy ShipHunt from the current Developer and improve it. ShipHunt is a great sub game but could be even better.
    A good/reliable mp3 ringtone manager that just works.

There are a few out there, but none particularly work well and have more than basic features at the same time.

Allow it to play sounds either from the SD card, or default to an internal mp3 (converted to .pdb) or midi should the SD card get ejected or the ringtone is not found.

Phone Technician-Works well, but does not allow for ringtones for different groups/contacts or for internal mp3s.
    LightWav-Feature rich, but buggy as all get out.
    CallFilter - Works for most (not for me), decent amount of features, is expensive and overkill for many.
    mRing-Shows promise, but caused reset loops for me in the past.
    Ringo-no support for internal mp3s.

As you can see, there are a lot of options in this market, but there is definitely an opening for the "killer" app in this category. And it's one that the vast majority of Treo owners want.
    i believe that you can make a software like the musms,its a security program where you could hide the sms of the person and the message doesnt go to the sms inbox rather to the musms application.and you have to enter a password in order to see the sms..i use it before on my nokia 6600.here is the link so you could check it out.www.mumcode.com
    How about a SEARCH program that let's you search contacts in the TREO 650 by Name, Company, phone number. You can take this idea farther and have a global Search function that looks through everything...
    Here's one I have been asking for every few months or so (as have many other people on this forum, but nobody's gotten right yet.

It's very frustrating to have an appointment with a phone number in it. You then have to remember the phone number, or select it with the stylus or do many clicks (depending on the app you have). None of this is possible while driving.

The app would be very simple. It would:
    1. Either make phone numbers that appear in Datebook, Memo Pad, and Task List into clickable underlined links that dial directory...OR if that's too resource intensive, then make a program that provides a one button (Shift Center button?) option that scans the current field, identifies the phone number, and dials it.
    2. Any alert that contained a phone number would either have it underlined in the alert box OR have a "dial" button that would dial the number contained in the alert.

There are a bunch of "Select Text" apps out there (iDial, MarkNDial, TreoSelecText, FieldsPlus) but not one of them allows one click dialing. The best of them is TreoSelecText which requires 6 click dialing (and looking at the screen, not an option while driving).
    Samyang - look for "IntelligentFind"
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Here's one I have been asking for every few months or so (as have many other people on this forum, but nobody's gotten right yet.

It's very frustrating to have an appointment with a phone number in it. You then have to remember the phone number, or select it with the stylus or do many clicks (depending on the app you have). None of this is possible while driving.

The app would be very simple. It would:
    1. Either make phone numbers that appear in Datebook, Memo Pad, and Task List into clickable underlined links that dial directory...OR if that's too resource intensive, then make a program that provides a one button (Shift Center button?) option that scans the current field, identifies the phone number, and dials it.
    2. Any alert that contained a phone number would either have it underlined in the alert box OR have a "dial" button that would dial the number contained in the alert.

There are a bunch of "Select Text" apps out there (iDial, MarkNDial, TreoSelecText, FieldsPlus) but not one of them allows one click dialing. The best of them is TreoSelecText which requires 6 click dialing (and looking at the screen, not an option while driving).
    Agreed... this is a MUCH needed app/option.
    Add me to the list of people requesting this one. Palm has known it was needed since the 600, why haven't they added it yet?
    Thanks Jeepdriver!
    Quote Originally Posted by samyang
    How about a SEARCH program that let's you search contacts in the TREO 650 by Name, Company, phone number. You can take this idea farther and have a global Search function that looks through everything...
    I think that was the first feature ever developed for Palm OS v1.0...

hit Function then Shift (magnifying glass is on the shift key)

or are you talking about something beyond what the Find function does?
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    Hi, yes I am waiting for an application that enables me to store voicemails on my Treo 600/650. Wishful thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnevers
    Hi, yes I am waiting for an application that enables me to store voicemails on my Treo 600/650. Wishful thinking?
    Yep, very wishful. Since none of the Treo voice recorder apps are able to record the caller's voice (except by picking it up over the speakerphone), I'm pretty sure there'd be no way to write an app to silently record the call.
    With our very limited selection for rss readers....that would be my choices...layout of mnews with capabilities of quicknews would be a start too....
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    A good/reliable mp3 ringtone manager that just works.

There are a few out there, but none particularly work well and have more than basic features at the same time.

Allow it to play sounds either from the SD card, or default to an internal mp3 (converted to .pdb) or midi should the SD card get ejected or the ringtone is not found.
    An extension of this would include allowing the use of custom wav files for ringers & alerts (including appointment and todo reminders, voicemail, sms, email, system events such as hotsync start/end, battery low, on/off charger, radio on/off) and even application startup notifications & keystrokes!! The idea is to have the device "speak" vs. beep/bong/bell/click or tweet.
    Ndugu
    I think a great addition would be software that allows you to send SMS and MMS messages through your data or mmode plans. I am currently paying for data plan and a separate SMS plan to sent texts. Anyone know if there is already a program for this?
    Why not just use email?
    There are a lot of Treo users with Act for Palm, and it need a ton of help on the Treo 600.
    Three biggys for me would be...
    1. Ability to highlite an Email address in Act and have it open either SMS or Snapper.
    2. Caller ID on incoming calls to search both Treo and Act for Palm phone books and display.
    3. 5 way navigation with in Act for Palm (Treo Tweak and Volume Rocker together help but do not completely solve this missing feature of Act for Palm.
    I would be willing to lend any support needed from a very active Act user and non programer standpoint.
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    I am interetsed in finding someone to develop programs for the palm platform that perform routine engineering calculations.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast