Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    New GSM Treo 650 user! I notice that the speakerphone volume is very low on the Treo (yes the volume is turned all the way up). Is the problem specific to certain phones? I did not notice very many posts about it so I am not sure if it is a widespread issue or not.

The speakerphone is important to me so if there is a fix or some workaround I would like to know about it.

Thanks.
    I think that all Treos are unique, so contact palmOne and try to get a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman117
    New GSM Treo 650 user! I notice that the speakerphone volume is very low on the Treo (yes the volume is turned all the way up). Is the problem specific to certain phones? I did not notice very many posts about it so I am not sure if it is a widespread issue or not.

The speakerphone is important to me so if there is a fix or some workaround I would like to know about it.

Thanks.

You can solve this my using a mp3 ringtone manager like Lightwav and Pockettunes. In ptunes you just boost the volume or in Lightwav set the volume to maximum for MIDI and your speaker will blast out the ringtone.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    But does this actually boost "SpeakerPhone" conversations or just the playback of MP3 ringtones etc that utilize ptunes? I think ironman117 is talking about using the phone in *SpeakerPhone* mode.
    Be careful, the speaker is not the best and cranking an MP3 up may toast it for you, they may have it set so it is hard to blow out. Perhaps they saved another $2 by skimping there like the memory. Saved $6 by not putting in 64 MB. Whomever came up with that one must have been promoted, revolutionary thinking...lets just put some cheaper components in the product, nobody will know then I'll get my big bonus. Hope they chrage back all the returns against the cheapskates at P1.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
  6. j2_
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman117
    Mine's exactly the same. The speakerphone part is basically useless in anything but a silent room.

I also find that the handset volume is barely adequate during a call, even when the volume is maxed.

There are other threads that talk about this problem as well.

Check out...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74425

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72212
    palmOne Treo 650 unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by j2_
    Mine's exactly the same. The speakerphone part is basically useless in anything but a silent room.
    That's one of the reasons I returned mine.... simply useless as a phone in noisy environment.
    Unfortunately, we may have to wait for a longgggggg time before P1 issues a fix for that.
    I posted in the other threads also, but FWIW the intwrnal and exteral speakers on my 650 are too low also. Some people have reported that replacements have been better but it seems that for the majority the speaker volume on the replacements has been about the same. Though I've been tempted to return mine for a replacement over the speaker volume, I hesitate because I really haven't had any of the other reported problems with mine and I don't want to run the risk of replacing it with a unit that has even more problems. It's sad that we should have to worry about new phones having a plethora of problems like this, but alas with the Treo 600 and 650's it seems to have become part of the package.
    Just got mine today, I have the same issue, I have to turn the phone over and hold the speaker to my ear to hear the other person, so basically its useless. Its even worse than the treo 600. So far I like alot of other things about the phone so I will try to find a fix for this before I give up on the 650.
    I think P1 calibrated volumes differently for each carrier to work best for their network. This was probably done to avoid issues like echo and buzzing of speakers. With the unlocked GSM version, we're probably getting a lowest common denominator sort of solution that would work on most networks but maybe excel on none.

- Sprint: Loud front and back speakers, very bad bluetooth volume.

- Cingular: Loud front and back speakers, don't know about the bluetooth volume.

- Unlocked GSM: Soft front and back speakers, very good bluetooth volume.

Well, that's my theory anyway, but it makes a lot of sense to me.
    silbverado. I don't know about that. I have the Cingular phone and both front and back are very quiet when using phone. When playing MP3s its fine though... Maybe therell be a patch down the road to change the volume control range to something wider...
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I have to laugh because I must be the only one with the complte opposite problem. Both of the Treo's I got have a REALLY loud speaker. Even at the lowest ringer setting, when I get a call, it is very loud. On the flip side, my speakerphone works great. I can actually use it in the car while driving on the freeway (lots of road noise) and with the radio one.

Strange that most everyone has a low speaker/volume problem. Either I am lucky and getting the 650 as it was meant to be or I am extremely unlucky and always getting a lemon. What are the odds of me getting two different 650s weeks apart and they both exhibit the same volume behavior that is totally different from everyone else? Weird.
    Check this thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...11#post4682911

Seems to be a known hardware issue.
    For me, at the highest setting, the earpiece volume is fine, but the speakerphone does seem to be almost useless unless in a quiet room, which is odd because the mp3s play loud and clear...grrr
    1 | 2
    I agree, my earpiece is just fine... but the speaker phone is not really valuable.
    same here w/ unlocked 650
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    I posted in the other threads also, but FWIW the intwrnal and exteral speakers on my 650 are too low also. Some people have reported that replacements have been better but it seems that for the majority the speaker volume on the replacements has been about the same. Though I've been tempted to return mine for a replacement over the speaker volume, I hesitate because I really haven't had any of the other reported problems with mine and I don't want to run the risk of replacing it with a unit that has even more problems. It's sad that we should have to worry about new phones having a plethora of problems like this, but alas with the Treo 600 and 650's it seems to have become part of the package.
    I'm in the exact same boat. I find the volume a little bit low when talking on the phone. (Speakerphone I assume is the same, but I never use speakerphone so whatever.) But it's not low enough to be real problem, more like a minor annoyance. I can hear, even in a record store playing music, but it's not as loud as my old n-gage. Since otherwise my phone seems to work properly I'm reluctant to return it, especially when I'm not convinced my next unit will be any better on sound and it may have dead pixel in the camera/screen, or a faulty "p" key, or the firmware problem that causes it to reset when you try to use the phone or the reset loop out of the box problem or... what have I missed.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by robin24k
    I think that all Treos are unique, so contact palmOne and try to get a replacement.
    No as you can see this is a well-documented problem for most Cingular 650s and apparently ALL the unlocked ones.
    I have an unlocked GSM 650 and my experience is that the earpiece volume is a bit low and not useful in a noisy room whereas the speaker volume is loud enough when I switch to it.
    Think I might have found the cure to the low sound level for the speakerphone. When my GSM650 came, the initial sound setting for mp3 playback or the media (video) playback sound volume was set at around 40% (maybe factory setting). By cranking it up all the way to 100% (in Realplayer), it solves the low volume problem and the speakphone became more audible, though still low in outdoor. Check it out, hope it works for you.

Victor
    Last edited by viccheung; 02/28/2005 at 03:34 AM.
    Victor Isaac Cheung
    Hong Kong

Email: viccheung@netivator.com
    MSN: Vic_Isaac@hotmail.com
    Yahoo:vic2244@yahoo.com
    SMS:63342250@sms.three.com.hk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast