Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    On the Treo 650, highlighting looks awful with AA (Fontsmoother) fonts. Wish I had read this text before buying Fontsmoother:

"Occasionally, smooth font texts will not look good when highlighted. Generally, highlighting will work better in 16-bit display modes. Version 1.10 of FontSmoother contains "smart highlighting" which attempts to improve highlight quality in some common cases. This could, theoretically, cause display corruption in such applications. If so, you can disable this feature by going to YAHM, tapping on the + sign to the right of "FontSmoother" and checking "Disable smart highlighting"."

"Some recalcitrant applications need a bit more of a "push" to go into 16-bit mode than these utilities provide. For them, you can use the free Force16 YAHM hack included in the force16 directory. If you want, you can use Force16 with most applications without the above-mentioned free utility as well."

I tried Force16 and the anti-aliased fonts still look horrible when highlighted. Has anyone gotten around this issue?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    What kind of highlighting are we talking about? The yellow highlighting when selecting text? Or the inverse video highlighting in the address book? Email me at arpruss at gmail dot com with more info, please.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Not sure what you want me to E-mail. I've already described the problem and provided text from the manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Not sure what you want me to E-mail. I've already described the problem and provided text from the manufacturer.
    pruss I'm guessing is the developer since that is the same name and email in the about screen of fontsmoother.
    hanks for the hack pruss, I'm a registered user. I've attached a screen shot of the effect in ultrasoft money
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Yeah, and the same thing happens in Applications when you use the 5-way to highlight program names. The AA fonts are useless.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    You can turn off the aa fonts for apps where this happens. Anyway, the main use of FontSmoother is, I think, for ebook style applications.

As for ultrasoft money, it looks like it does highlighting with a non-standard color scheme. I can't really fix the highlighting for it--they are highlighting in a way not compatible with antialiased fonts, however these are drawn. They are going to have rewrite their highlighting code themselves if OS6 includes antialiased fonts.

As for the default launcher, this worries me a little more, since it does use standard highlighting. I suggest you try the latest version (www.zlthemes.com/Programs.php). It works just fine on my Clie NX, at least if I set the display to 16-bit mode (using Colorize, KhromaQC, or Force16).