Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe those thieves want registered users of the 600 version to pay (~75%) for the 650 version. I can't believe when software companies pull this crap -- justifies all the hacks, file sharing, un-registering, etc. I usually register my software but I will never buy anything again from the makers of PDA Net (or PDA Apps for that matter after they pulled the same scam with i300/i330 upgrades on the Samsung).

Luckily they got their comeuppance with Shadowmite's hack which is free and better.
    thieves?
    ^^LOL I'm gonna love this thread...

Here comes the insluts
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    ^^LOL I'm gonna love this thread...

Here comes the insluts
    As many people say, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Promoting theft...well, we know where you stand.

Mods, please lock and kill.
    The 650 version is not an "update" to the 600 version, it's a different program, for a different machine. However, I found them very easy to deal with. You might try approaching them, and letting them know you were a 600 registered user. I might also suggest you drop the "thieves" label, i f you choose to approach them.
    Folks,

I don't know what they are charging for the 650 version ($30 or $40?), but this is such a poductivity tool for the traveller, I can't beleive you wouldn't pay it.

People who write and test working software deserve to get paid. If you want to use a hack to save $50, that's your right. Time is money...

Glenn
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    I can't believe those thieves want registered users of the 600 version to pay (~75%) for the 650 version. I can't believe when software companies pull this crap -- justifies all the hacks, file sharing, un-registering, etc. I usually register my software but I will never buy anything again from the makers of PDA Net (or PDA Apps for that matter after they pulled the same scam with i300/i330 upgrades on the Samsung).

Luckily they got their comeuppance with Shadowmite's hack which is free and better.
    This is why I did not pay for PDANet. I went with WirelessModem .
    PDAnet is a nice app, but I agree that it's WAAY overpriced! Also the upgrade costs are ridiculous imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This is why I did not pay for PDANet. I went with WirelessModem .
    WirelessModem is hardy a solution for most. They only work on MAC and Linux boxes. They offer no support for their product "This software is offered without support. Please do not contact us for support."

$37.50 per user - This a whole lot of money without WinDOZE and without any support for the other folk.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Yeah, PDA Net is a bit pricey, but it works *very* well, and is quite polished. For example, the nice quality of taking over as the network gateway instantly, then giving it back to the NIC card immediately upon disconnect without any silly reboots or requiring an /ipconfig release/renew. It's just a perfect working experience.

That being said, I wish we could figure out why certain google sites won't load while using it via T-Mobile. (gmail, google maps, etc.)
    It's not even needed if you have a GSM unlocked Pa1mOne branded 650.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
  13. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrios
    It's not even needed if you have a GSM unlocked Pa1mOne branded 650.
    Huh? you need no software to connect your laptop to the 'net - just the sync cable?
    Cheers

Charles
    I for one can understand the cost for PDANet. It's a 2 part program. The PDA side and the Windows Side. The PDA side does a very nice job of managing the network connection (Dropping active connection and establishing it's own). It Now supports bluetooth connections (the 600 ver did not) so I suspect that a fair amount of development time went into that part alone. On the windows side, it needs to work hand in hand with Hotsync and the TCP stack. Neither of those are trivial tasks.

I agree that the upgrade price seems a bit steep at first glance but You get what you pay for. As someone else said, "It just works!" and it works *very* well.

They allow for a free fully functioning trial. If you find you don't like it - nothing lost. If you need to go the free route - look at Shadowmite's DUN hack. It works - but requires more attention to detail on the end users part and in it's current form, might be unstable.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Yup, even better, through bluetooth. works great!
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb
    Huh? you need no software to connect your laptop to the 'net - just the sync cable?

The BT DUN profile is not disabled on unlocked GSm 650's...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I couldn't get Bluetooth DUN connection to get past verifying
    username/password (Unlocked 650 / Cingular), but PDANet over Bluetooth worked perfectly the first time I tried it.
    A thieve is someone who steals. Charging money for a product is not stealing. It is called capitalism and that is what has made our country (USA) great!
    Why not use Bluetooth DUN from Shadomite?
  20.    #20  
    "A thieve is someone who steals. Charging money for a product is not stealing. It is called capitalism and that is what has made our country (USA) great!"

Yes but charging money for something the client has already paid for is dishonest, and this situation is outside the bounds of normal practice in the software industry. This is merely an update to the product to comply with the 650. I shouldn't be paying near-full price (or anything!) for an upgrade.

I won't pay it even though my new laptop doesn't have BT (so I can't use Shadowmite's product). I rarely used PDA Net anyway since it caused all sorts of problems to my phone -- and was painfully slow.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast