1.    #1  
    Is it only me or has anybody else also seen this...

I upgraded to the Treo 650 just last week. *knock on the wood* have had no issues yet, except for one thing.

My Treo 650 battery goes down to 40% by the end of the day, whereas my old workhorse Treo600 used to have about 70% juice left by the end of the day.

My daily usage pattern is exactly the same with no changes at all.

Any ideas???
    The 650 has a bluetooth, a brighter screen and faster processor, but the battery also improved. Depends on whether you use BT and the brightness of your screen.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Bluetooth really doesn't take much power unless you use it a ton. BT really has little effect when the phone is idle.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Yes, I find that if I have the bluetooth enabled and a device close to it all day, I see much more battery wear.

I am getting one day using moderate voice, Chatter, Verichat and bluetooth all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Yes, I find that if I have the bluetooth enabled and a device close to it all day, I see much more battery wear.

I am getting one day using moderate voice, Chatter, Verichat and bluetooth all day.
    Thats about what I get. I go down to 30% by 10:00pm. Without Chatter and bluetooth, I got down to 80% by 10:00pm
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    The 650 has a bluetooth, a brighter screen and faster processor, but the battery also improved. Depends on whether you use BT and the brightness of your screen.
    Problem is that I have not used bluetooth at all, and as I said that my usage pattern has not changed that includes choosing a slightly low brightness settings.
    I also thought that the battery was better as stated by palmone, but this does not make any sense.
    I have found the same thing...I don't use bluetooth...light phone usage still drains the battery quite quickly...my Treo 600 went forever....
    My guess is the high res screen causes the increased battery drain.
    I actually get much better battery life on the 650.
    <p> I get far better battery life as well with the 650. However, I don't use BT at all, and I switched from Sprint to Cingular, and Cingular has a far stronger signal, so I'm guessing the phone just isn't working as hard. I could go down as low as 30 percent, but now end the day easily with 80 percent.</p>
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    Angel may be on to something, although I don't know if it addresses faaltoo's issue.

Faaltoo, did you change carriers or locations? The weaker the signal, the more power your phone will use to both receive and send.

My personal experience is that battery life on my 650 is about the same, maybe slightly better than on my 600. I usually have the brightness set about 2/3 of the way up. With the screen at or close to full brightness, I think it's a lot brighter than my 600 was, and that's probably using more power. The keyboard lights probably use a lot of power, too, and they stay on all the time. I use KBLights to turn them off after 8 seconds of not using the keyboard.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    My battery life is far better on the 650. My usage pattern: Sprint BizConEE for psuedo-push email. My data connection is active frequently enough that I don't really see it sign on to Vision anymore. Vibrating alarms for email & SMS, MP3s for ringtones, BT enabled, screen brightness about mid-way through the scale. Probably 30-60 minutes a day of intense usage with occasional light usage otherwise. I rarely go through more than 30% of the battery in a day; most days I use under 20%. On my old 600, I would go through 40-60% a day.

I'd suggest you RMA the battery or buy a spare to use as a comparison.
    - Fushigi
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Angel may be on to something, although I don't know if it addresses faaltoo's issue.

Faaltoo, did you change carriers or locations? The weaker the signal, the more power your phone will use to both receive and send.

My personal experience is that battery life on my 650 is about the same, maybe slightly better than on my 600. I usually have the brightness set about 2/3 of the way up. With the screen at or close to full brightness, I think it's a lot brighter than my 600 was, and that's probably using more power. The keyboard lights probably use a lot of power, too, and they stay on all the time. I use KBLights to turn them off after 8 seconds of not using the keyboard.

HTH,
    Hi meyerweb,

i have not changed carriers or location. I have experienced a slightly better signal reception with Treo650 than my Treo600.
    Only thing different is that I dont use KBLights Off. I guess I will give that a try too, otherwise do you think that it is time for a replacement?

-Faaltoo
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Thats about what I get. I go down to 30% by 10:00pm. Without Chatter and bluetooth, I got down to 80% by 10:00pm
    I have a similar problem. My patterns have not changed compared to my 600 yet I run out of battery sooner. I have snapper set to 30 minutes for 2 email accounts. On an average day I get about 200 emails sent down between 6:00AM and 6:00PM.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  15. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I've found that battery life improves dramatically by turning the keyboard lights off during the day. I used to be at 50% by the end of the day. After I installed MLights I'm at 60-70% at day's end. Those lights are bright and clearly suck up juice.....
    Cheers

Charles
    There are several long threads on 650 battery drain with solutions for some of the identified problems, including some programs that seem to cause a drain. If you need more info a search will bring them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by faaltoo
    Hi meyerweb,

i have not changed carriers or location. I have experienced a slightly better signal reception with Treo650 than my Treo600.
    Only thing different is that I dont use KBLights Off. I guess I will give that a try too, otherwise do you think that it is time for a replacement?

-Faaltoo
    Before replacing, I'd do a hard reset (you'll have to do it before a return, anyway) and then see what your battery life is like without any extra apps. If it seems to be better, then I'd look into what apps might be causing a problem.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.