Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone here replaced the battery of their T600? Any possibility of a do-it-yourself project?

Thanks,

Ismenio

--------

Interested in chess computers?
    check: www.ismenio.com/chess_computers.html
    Forum: http://users.boardnation.com/~chessc...ex.php?board=1
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    PDAParts.com has a high capacity battery in their catalog. They are showing that it is sold out at the moment.

As for getting inside your Treo 600, you can find directions on how to open the phone here.

Alan G
  3.    #3  
    Thanks AlanG! I'll check that!

Ismenio
    Glad I have insurance. $56 for the parts (plus shipping and maybe tax) - battery, torx wrenches, case opener) is just over the $50 deductible that lockline charges. Granted, the total price doesn't include monthly premiums...but that does cover peace of mind as well as other damage/loss.

Thanks for the links, though. Good to have if the situation changes in the future.
    for the Treo 600?

These 2000 MAh offer about 20% more power (or so they claim). You have to invalidate the warranty when opening the Treo yourself to install it, but Treo 600 values are down anyway since the 650 came out.

Do they work?

Is the install as easy as claimed?

froogle.google.com finds vendors other than pdaparts that offer this.

Thanks,

cybe
    The install is pretty easy. Just take your time and follow the directions. I've changed the batteries ion both my 270 and now my 600.

(I even bought the overpriced plastic case opening tool. It was helpful in opening the case without scratching it.)
    OK, one of the instructions I've seen online leave off a lot, so here's my amendments.

1) Only a T6 Torx screwdriver is needed, not a T5 (that I saw). Open case by removing stylus and rubber screw covers on bottom back, then removing 4 screws. Note the antenna will fall out upon removing one of those screws.

2) Case is on seriously tight after removing the screws. I found a plastic spoon (or two - I broke one) to do the trick with some time. Careful around the bottom, near the headset jack, which is easily damaged.

3) When open, watch out for extra parts falling out, like a rubberized buffer of some sort that I'm not sure where it belongs. Keep the Treo major flat.

4) The cord connecting the battery and motherboard is in tight. I used tweezers and about 5-10 minutes to rock it out. Yes, very bad electronics handling techniques.

5) Note that there is circuitry on the battery. The whole thing is to be removed from the strong tape holding it in. I used the remainder of the spoon to get it out.

6) The remaining stickiness of the tape was enough to keep the new battery in place.

7) When putting everything back together, it was certainly tighter than when it opened. It required the screw to hold it together, implying some serious pressure on that screw.

8) The stylus doesn't go in as cleanly as it used to, but it's OK.

9) I just resynced (Palm Desktop, none of that Microsoft stuff) and it all came back perfectly.

I'll charge it up and all the way down a few times for conditioning. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the outcome; it cost more than $59.95 (Sprint cost for installing their battery), about $70 all told, but the extra battery power is appreciated and gives me the ability to keep going with the Treo 600 for either a) the final death of Palm OS, which I sadly foresee, or the [Treo 700], which should have WiFi (guess). And maybe some real memory.
    mine went back together very easily. The 'extra' rubberized buffer thing was likely used to hold the stylus in .. It (I think) sits beside the battery and provides some friction for the stylus insertion. I spent the extra $5 for the custom plastic case opening tool. Mine went back together with the same tightness as before. I suspect you have something out of place in your case.
    Emboldened by my successful wrapping of the battery cable with aluminum foil, today I replaced the battery. This went very smoothly and it charged up fine and works just fine. I bought the battery from PDA parts and used the method referenced by Alan G above; the only thing to note is that there are two tabs on either side that need to be pushed in with something to pull the case apart.
    The battery replacement is great! I had forgotten that when I first bought the 600, I could go two days on a charge. Today, I used it a normal (light) level, which lately would have resulted in 40-50% remaining, but with the new battery, I had 88% remaining! This may be in part due to the battery being larger, but mostly it is just that the old one was 18 months old.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I also replaced the battery on my Treo 600 with a new battery from gethightech. No problems removing the cable (it almost fell out, maybe that was part of the original problem?). After a full charge, I no longer have the "No service" problem when I make a call or connect to the internet. And I think I managed to get everything back together ok. The back cover has several connections to the main circuit board of the phone with springs and metal "fingers". And I made sure the battery cable was seated as well as I could get it.

I had earlier gone to two Sprint stores to try and get the phone fixed. Since it's no longer under warranty, and I did not have the extended warranty, their only solution was to try and sell me a new phone! No thanks. Nobody suggested I have the battery replaced, until I read the messages here. Now I'm a happy Treo 600 user again!

Paul
    I just did exactally the same thing today. No more "No Service" problem here either. Sprint was less than helpful with this problem and when I suggested the (very well documented) battery solution they said I would have to replace the phone. Sprint wanted me to leave my phone with them to test for a few hours. Not with all of my sensitive data is on it, so I backed it up and installed the new battery myself. after a few hours of charging everything is working great. One other thing I noticed, my magnetic phone mount no longer works as the new battery doesn't have the metal shielding my original did.

Quote Originally Posted by pkoerber
    I also replaced the battery on my Treo 600 with a new battery ........After a full charge, I no longer have the "No service" problem

....I had earlier gone to two Sprint stores to try and get the phone fixed. Since it's no longer under warranty, and I did not have the extended warranty, their only solution was to try and sell me a new phone!

Paul
    I too replaced the battery. $15 with $6 shipping off ebay (1500mah). Works great. No more "rint", noservice, freeze on incoming calls, or choppy performance. Joy!

I do however have that "L" shaped rubber piece that goes somewhere in/next to the stylus. Any high resolution shots of the inside of the case would be great to help me place it back correctly.
    so what happened to all the members who jump in threads like this screaming "search"?!!
    I replaced my battery, as chronicled above with a 2000 MaH. Additional power - not noticeable.

In retrospect, I'd buy a 1500 MaH battery and install it oneself. The extended power batteries weren't worth the hassle.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    It's been a month since my battery replacement for my Handspring Sprint 600 and I wanted to share my excellent experience with the help of cybe's instructions. I'd just like to make some additional comments.

Quote Originally Posted by cybe
    OK, one of the instructions I've seen online leave off a lot, so here's my amendments.

1) Only a T6 Torx screwdriver is needed, not a T5 (that I saw). Open case by removing stylus and rubber screw covers on bottom back, then removing 4 screws. Note the antenna will fall out upon removing one of those screws.
    This was out of stock when I bought my battery so got a torx screwdriver with 8 bits from Home Depot instead http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gkj.0&MID=9876

2) Case is on seriously tight after removing the screws. I found a plastic spoon (or two - I broke one) to do the trick with some time. Careful around the bottom, near the headset jack, which is easily damaged.
    The plastic spoon was great, I'm going to use this idea when I replace my ipod batteryl

3) When open, watch out for extra parts falling out, like a rubberized buffer of some sort that I'm not sure where it belongs. Keep the Treo major flat.
    I think this buffer sits near the bottom of the stylus sleeve to keep the stylus snug.

4) The cord connecting the battery and motherboard is in tight. I used tweezers and about 5-10 minutes to rock it out. Yes, very bad electronics handling techniques.

5) Note that there is circuitry on the battery. The whole thing is to be removed from the strong tape holding it in. I used the remainder of the spoon to get it out.

6) The remaining stickiness of the tape was enough to keep the new battery in place.

7) When putting everything back together, it was certainly tighter than when it opened. It required the screw to hold it together, implying some serious pressure on that screw.
    I actually had mine together and noticed some creaking so I took it apart again and reseated the battery veeery squarely and after reassembly noted no creaking at all.

8) The stylus doesn't go in as cleanly as it used to, but it's OK.

9) I just resynced (Palm Desktop, none of that Microsoft stuff) and it all came back perfectly.

I'll charge it up and all the way down a few times for conditioning. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the outcome; it cost more than $59.95 (Sprint cost for installing their battery), about $70 all told, but the extra battery power is appreciated and gives me the ability to keep going with the Treo 600 for either a) the final death of Palm OS, which I sadly foresee, or the [Treo 700], which should have WiFi (guess). And maybe some real memory.
    Thanx again cybe
    I got my new 1500 battery off of ebay for $24 dollars. It came with the torx wrench. I replaced the battery with all the help that everyone has posted on here. Up until yesterday, I couldn't make any calls on my T600 and if a call came in, it would ring twice and then give me the network "No service" error.

Thanks again for everyones help. I plan on charging up the battery tonight and then seeing how long I can get it to last tomorrow.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    One very important that was not mentioned: when opening the case, do not use anything metal to pry it apart, or you will fry the electonics. Found this out the hard way, and the buttons don't work anymore.
    I was worried about that (and stuff falling out all over the place). Someone mentioned using a plastic spoon (to reduce scratching and because its non-metallic).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Just wanted to say thanks to all those that posted here - you saved my Treo 600. I successfully replaced the battery, it was very easy, and the phone is working great again.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast