Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just a few amendments to the Treo disassembly/assembly instructions:

I found the best way to pry the case open after removing the screws is a credit card - place it in the slot on the side and slide up and down along the crevice. Perform on both sides a couple of times, twist a bit and the back comes off nicely.

And as to how to place the black rubber "thing" in is proper place: It's used to give additional friction for the stylus holder, so it doesn't fall off as easily and feels a bit more "expensive" to slide in and out. There's a place for it near the top of the unit, just below the camera lens, under the circuit board. The nob on the rubber goes toward the top of the unit and under the board. Push the rubber thingy under the board from the side and press until it fits properly under the circuit board.
    I've had a Treo 600 since Christmas and based upon the forums it looks like the battery has died, since the symptoms appear to be the same.

I took the phone to Verizon since I couldn't -consistently- repeat the problem. 45 minutes in the store on the phone with tech support came to the obvious conclusion that it was "broke". They are shipping another one in a few days.

Problems:
    The phone acted funny - dropped calls, "No service" indicators, and now it REALLY doesn't work - delayed startup, it acts like it doesn't know what to do next, and now doesn't ring at all.

Hopefully, the forum members will see the same thing and benefit from this. I still like the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by rleibo
    One very important that was not mentioned: when opening the case, do not use anything metal to pry it apart, or you will fry the electonics. Found this out the hard way, and the buttons don't work anymore.
    The plastic spoon to pry the case open is a good idea. What works better is a an old credit card. Just run it along the seam pushing down and it will "unhook" the internal latches quickly and easily without damaging the Treo case.

good luck
    Thanks again for this thread, I just finished changing my battery I left it plugged into the charger during surgery and the memory was retained, but Battery Graph was reading 0ma so I reset- as soon as it came back from the reset, it was all wiped clean So, for future reference, don't worry about this. (Edit: after 10 minutes charging and a hot sync, the battery is reading 38%, phew!)

Also, you don't need a T6 torx bit to get the screws off- a .050" allen wrench works fine, too $18 shipped, damn, I shoulda done this a long time ago...
    Last edited by SteveFehr; 11/08/2005 at 05:25 PM.
    Where does that little rubber stopper go for the stylus. I can't figure out it's orientation and exactly where it is supposed to go.

--Nevermind, I see where it goes.
    One thing nobody has mentioned - the new battery I got from PDAParts.com had its own piece of double-stick tape on the side that faces the motherboard. Make sure you peel off the paper backing to expose the tape before sticking your battery to the motherboard. They guy that had the tight-fitting case probably forgot to do this.
    Is it better to get the 2000mA battery on PDAparts.com for $45 shipped or to pick up a 1600MA battery on eBay for $20 shipped? What have people tried? I hate to put so much money into such an old phone.
    After reading several threads regarding battery replacement, I've noticed several ordered from PDAparts. I remember reading about a year ago that PDAparts warranty on the battery was only one month or 90 days and the poster had a problem after 3 months. These batteries should last at least a year IMO. I decided when the time came to replace my T600 battery (after two and a half years I guess it's time - several dead battery issues now), PDAparts would be the last vendor I'd buy from.

Just ordered a 2000mAH battery from Laptops for Less. A little cheaper plus return and warranty (one year) policies are more acceptable.

I've opened up my T600 before (faceplate replacement) so no worries there. Just want to pass on some info to TCers sticking with the T600 since we still don't know when the 700P is coming out.

BTW, I ALWAYS charge my Treo constantly when in the vicinity of a charger (I have several thanks to T300 legacy). This is good practice as mine lasted almost two and a half years.
    Last edited by ChemEngr; 03/20/2006 at 05:42 PM.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    So I received the battery yesterday and got a surprise - comes with a torx wrench and case opener tool. Backed up with Backupman. Performed the surgery with no problems. NOTE: make sure to pry open the top part of the case first (the bottom will hang up on the headset jack) - I knew this from experience. If you lay the treo flat, no pieces will fall out. I used needle nose pliers to work the battery connector off. Pried off the battery with the case opener tool - enough adhesive was left to stick the new battery on. Re-seated the connector again with the needle nose and snapped the case in place. Beautiful!!! When I plugged in to charge, the LED was alternating green and red - I didn't know what that meant (panic attack). I thought the battery was defective but after about 10 min, the LED remained red and the battery level started increasing from 0%. Charged overnight and did a restore. Better than new.

Now I can wait for the 700P for another two and a half years.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I replaced my battery by 3 standard AAA size rechargable cells.
    I bought them from the local electronics shop. Look for the
    highest capacity !
    - open the old battery and take out the small print on the side.
    - glue the 3 cells together so that they fit in the battery space ,
    connecting them in serial 3 x 1.5 volt -->4.5 volt
    - connect the small print from the old battery.
    - be sure to put isolation around the small print and other parts
    that could couse electriacl shortcuts.

it's cheap !!
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaurice
    I replaced my battery by 3 standard AAA size rechargable cells.
    I bought them from the local electronics shop. Look for the
    highest capacity !
    - open the old battery and take out the small print on the side.
    - glue the 3 cells together so that they fit in the battery space ,
    connecting them in serial 3 x 1.5 volt -->4.5 volt
    - connect the small print from the old battery.
    - be sure to put isolation around the small print and other parts
    that could couse electriacl shortcuts.

it's cheap !!
    I think your idea is great!

Are you getting typical battery longevity now?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    After reading several threads regarding battery replacement, I've noticed several ordered from PDAparts. I remember reading about a year ago that PDAparts warranty on the battery was only one month or 90 days and the poster had a problem after 3 months. These batteries should last at least a year IMO. I decided when the time came to replace my T600 battery (after two and a half years I guess it's time - several dead battery issues now), PDAparts would be the last vendor I'd buy from.
    I upgraded my battery from PDAParts.com about 6 months ago, installed w/no problems but now I'm getting the NO SERVICE routine again w/my phone as well as the battery suddenly not taking but a minimal charge; I contacted PDAParts.com via email for my invoice to check when I had bought the battery and received an almost immediate response thanking me for my business; I then emailed back that the battery was not holding a charge and how long was the warranty to which I got no response, even after 5 emails. Suddenly they were incommunicado. I emailed again, after having called to hear a voicemail telling me they only took emails and no phone calls (hmmmmmmm . . . . ) I finally got a response telling me it "wasn't necessary" to email so many times even though it was obvious they weren't going to acknowledge or bother to respond until I persisted and that the battery only carried a 30 day warranty.

I finally got out my car charger I had also purchased from them at the same time as their battery (having had the privilege of handing them about $70 total) and found IT didn't even work, even with another friend's Treo.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything from PDAParts.com. Their customer service is rude and unresponsive and they don't stand behind their products. Go elsewhere for your batteries and other parts.
    Last edited by FogCity; 04/01/2006 at 06:05 PM. Reason: email address accidentally included
    This thread has been really helpful. But I've got a potentially stupid question here, I just got the replacement battery from PDAparts and when I got my old battery out, I saw that the battery cable is hard-wired to the old battery's circuitry which is basically of taped on the side of it. (It doesn't look like the pictures on the PDAparts instructions.) It doesn't look like it can reused, in other words. The new battery doesn't have a cable though so I am unable to attach it - was that supposed to come with the new battery or do I have to hunt one down somewhere else? My Treo is rev C - I've had it since Dec 2004.
    SOL. Sounds like you have a refurbished Treo that had its battery connector reworked. I would probably shop around for a dead T600 and hope that the battery connectors are intact. Try your carrier for a replacement - this is a documented issue and sometimes the carrier will replace it even if out of warranty. Good luck.
    I seem to have a mutant battery based on all the pictures I've found of other 600 battery connections. Mine looks almost like this one except that the 4 wires are soldered onto some circuitry on the battery side - I can remove the cable from the mobo end but can't remove the other end of the cable from the battery itself. SOL indeed unless I can find a four pin cable somewhere from a gutted Treo.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    @ekp23

You do not have a mutant battery. The early hardware (hardware Rev c) had a battery with soldered on connections. The later versions had the connector. I am in the same boat as my Treo 600 is hardware Rev C. I was planning on desoldering the wires and resoldering them to the new battery. Does that look possible from your point of view?

If not and you find a source for the wires you are talking about (plugs on both ends) let me know.
    Soldering isn't an option with the PDAparts battery - nothing to solder to.
    I'm sending back my PDAparts battery and trying this one which looks very similar to my original one:
    http://performancepda.zoovy.com/prod...600BATTERYCONN
    Also, I saw two sales on eBay this week - one for a parts Treo 600 that did have that battery cable w/plugs on both ends, and another one for a battery with a detachable cable [I even asked the seller if it was removable]. Probably worth checking those out, I didn't want to spend any more money on it.
    ebay Mobo auction
    ebay Treo battery with removable c
    able
    Quote Originally Posted by Prmetime
    @ekp23

You do not have a mutant battery. The early hardware (hardware Rev c) had a battery with soldered on connections. The later versions had the connector. I am in the same boat as my Treo 600 is hardware Rev C. I was planning on desoldering the wires and resoldering them to the new battery. Does that look possible from your point of view?

If not and you find a source for the wires you are talking about (plugs on both ends) let me know.
    My original Handspring T600 is Hardware Rev. C, and has the connectors. I am speculating that the soldering to the motherboard (reported in this forum) is done on returned T600s that were diagnosed with faulty battery connectors. However, it may be true that the battery assembly manufacturer could have dispatched the connector on later battery revisions.

BTW, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Rev$. $C$ $is$ $the$ $latest$ $hardware$ $rev$. $At$ $least$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $recall$ $anybody$ $in$ $this$ $forum$ $reporting$ $a$ $later$ $rev$.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I was over at the Sprintusers forum and I was told that hardware Rev C has the soldered battery. I figured this was true since I bought my 600 the first week they came out. However I don't really know so I haven't opened my case as I don't have the tools.
    May 27, 2006 Thanks for all you wrote. I didnt order a battery thanks to you telling me to look first, sure enough, my treo 600 has no connectors...just glued or something...so I'm told only Verizon and Sprint carry Treo 700.
    I called Tmobile, no help but they gave me other numbers and for palm one. 1 877 426 3777 palm one told me $199 to fix my treo 600...then she gave me verizon and sprint numbers.
    Turns out Sprint is still waiting for Treo 700 to arrive...and it offeres fr 350 minus 150 rebate, 6700 smart device, she told me similar, a treo (not)....later i'm told that is not so, it is windows based. ? They did have better packages than my Tmobile, as all text messages are 10 cents regardless if international...and going over package is only 10 cents a minute, vs. 45 cents for verizon.
    She offered to call me back on Monday (but should i wait for treo 700?).

Verizon...they have treo 700 p and w, but it's 499.
    i will go read the rest of the forum now, but it looks like i'll use someone's spare phone until sprint gets the treo 700, or maybe look at the windows based pda phones...not sure. thanks to all for your posts. kater]

WHAT can i do with old treo? i hooked it up to charger and yes all contacts are gone, but should i use it as an at-home pda i wonder, with keyboard hookup to use all my other cords and accessories i gathered? in other words, use it as anything but a cell phone, although it does work with phone now..as long as it's plugged in...?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast