Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    the thing about home is, the instructions are quite unclear. you literally have to set up everything yourself, from creating different scenes (or tabs in a launchem-like app) to buttons for each app. it really is only for those of us who are true control freaks and want every button exactly where we put it.

in other words, it'll just be a blank screen till you do some serious work. (it took me about four hours to get everything just right, and i'm still tweaking-- of course i've got 7.2mb of apps, so those of you with fewer will have an easier time of it.) the sort of sad thing about that, though is i'm looking at handscape pro, and thinking, that's nice. i used to use handscape back in the day, when it was freeware, before i found home, and i liked it then... ah well, there's always something better down the road. maybe i'll try it soon.

back to home, tho' and which background scene i'm using: yeah, it's the mac one

------------------
    matty
    beware the dryptosaur.
    Originally posted by homer:
    VoxDei:
    The ONE drawback that is keeping me from using it is that it uses the standard OS interface by which you need to use the pull-down menu to change categories...the one reason NOT to use the standard OS interface.
    On the standard OS you don't have to use the pulldown menu to change categories, just continue to tap on "home" and menu categories automatically rotate.

Homer:

I have been using the latest free edition of
    Handscape (free) and there is no pull down
    to change categories. You simply hit the tab on your desktop that you want.

To move an app to a different category takes two seconds.

The other nice thing that I love about the updated Handscape is the small toolbar at the bottom of the desktop. By tapping one of the icons, you can turn off and lock your visor, turn on the backlight, go to preferences and even do a soft reset.

It gets my vote!
    On the standard OS you don't have to use the pulldown menu to change categories, just continue to tap on "home" and menu categories automatically rotate.
    Yea, but that's just as silly as the pull-down menu. Even in Windows and the Mac OS, the Start/Apple menu is exremely awkward to use. I never use them any more to access files on my computer.

I have been using the latest free edition of
    Handscape (free) and there is no pull down
    to change categories.
    Well, maybe I SHOULD try it out then! On second look, I think I was looking at the wrong/older version of it...I'm downloading it now!
    Homer:

Let me know what you think or if you need help

Never satisfied with a good thing (I love Launcher III) I checked out HandScape on the recommendation of various folks here. Not seeing that much of a difference in the listed features of the "lite" version I installed HandScape Pro, which seemed to have several nifty additions, most notably the addition of an "explorer-like" option.

Alas, as I scrolled down through my many icons in the "all" tab, it always froze at the fourth screen! Has anyone else had this happen? Looking at the features it seemed to me that HandScape Pro was probably worth the $15 bucks. Does anyone have any experience with it, compared to the freeware version?

[This message has been edited by Charo (edited 07-20-2000).]
    I never have checked out Silver Screen so went to palmgear.com to demo it.

Now there are two review comments that brought up a question for me. Is anyone using Silver Screen and the 8 meg flash module at the same time? If so has it given you any problems?

One review says:
    “I have been using Silver Screen on my Visor with 8mb memory module with no problems what-so-ever….”

Then right below it says:
    “Silver Screen is NOT COMPATIBLE with the 8MB flash memory springboard of the Handspring Visor. When I try to use the program I get fatal errors unless I remove the memory springboard. If you own a Palm - go for it, Silver Screen is very pretty... but Visor owners Beware... “

So which is closer to the truth, should I try it with my 8 meg module?

B5

NOTE: I just downloaded it anyway to test out and it doesn't NOT refresh the listing if you remove the module. You still see the games or whatever and then if you click on them you just get a blank screen while it tries to run something that isn't there.

Another thing is does anyone else have to wait forever for the Silver to first run, or change theams. It seems to take a LONG time to scan all the files to list them. Okay I do have about 12 megs of stuff on here but still, sheesh...
    I was almost going to buy this but won't until they fix that flash problem....

[This message has been edited by Babylon5 (edited 07-20-2000).]
    LauncherIII - free, simple to use, but limited in function.
    GoBar - tried it, don't even remember, didn't leave any impression on me.
    Sivlerscreen - pretty, but not the most functional.
    Launchem - free trial, simple to use, very functional and powerful.
    Hanscape - no comment, have not tried.

My recommendation: Launchem (available at PalmGear)
    Oops, should have posted this with the original post.

Another advantage to Launchem is that it remembers which catagories your 8mg flash rom programs go when you take it out and then reinsert it. But there is one catch: whichever catagory you were at last and launched a program (just prior to removing the module), when you reinsert the module, those programs (saved in flash module) in that catagory (from the module) will end up in your default unfiled catagory of launchem. For example, if I had catagory A, B, and Unfiled, (or whatever name I choose to assign to the unfiled category), and I put program 1 (which is saved on the flash module)into category A, and launched program 1, when I take the flash module out and reinsert it, launchem is going to place program 1 (along with all other flash module programs in category A) into the Unfiled category. So to get around this and always have all your programs in the right categories, I just launch a program that is stored in internal ram in a category that has the least number of flash module stored programs before I pull out my flash module. That way when I stick it back in, I will have to only rearrange a minimal number of programs or none at all.
    Hope the above was more helpful than confusing.
  11. jrs
    Originally posted by Babylon5:
    I never have checked out Silver Screen so went to palmgear.com to demo it.

Now there are two review comments that brought up a question for me. Is anyone using Silver Screen and the 8 meg flash module at the same time? If so has it given you any problems?

One review says:
    “I have been using Silver Screen on my Visor with 8mb memory module with no problems what-so-ever….”

Then right below it says:
    “Silver Screen is NOT COMPATIBLE with the 8MB flash memory springboard of the Handspring Visor. When I try to use the program I get fatal errors unless I remove the memory springboard. If you own a Palm - go for it, Silver Screen is very pretty... but Visor owners Beware... “

So which is closer to the truth, should I try it with my 8 meg module?

B5

NOTE: I just downloaded it anyway to test out and it doesn't NOT refresh the listing if you remove the module. You still see the games or whatever and then if you click on them you just get a blank screen while it tries to run something that isn't there.

Another thing is does anyone else have to wait forever for the Silver to first run, or change theams. It seems to take a LONG time to scan all the files to list them. Okay I do have about 12 megs of stuff on here but still, sheesh...
    I was almost going to buy this but won't until they fix that flash problem....

[This message has been edited by Babylon5 (edited 07-20-2000).]
    I too have had some weird things happen with SilverScreen and the 8MB module. Everything seems to correct itself after I turn the visor off and on again.
    I am currently demoing Lauch Em ($10 Shareware). It seems to have very useful features. Having said that though, I love the themes in SilverScreen. If SilverScreen could incorporate tabs (which I'm told they will in upcoming releases) then that would be my ultimate choice.

I tried SilverScreen and I just didn't like the contrast settings it wanted. Either SS looked funny, or everything else did. I'm currently a registered user of LaunchEm and love it. Gadgets are awesome and the whole program is pretty powerful.

------------------
    Built for comfort, not for speed...
    A hack like NoStreakHack would fix that problem with Silver. Version 1.5 was just released as well. It supports greyscale icons for other programs now, and is faster. Rock n' Roll.
    OK, after all the discussion and my professions of loyalty to Launcher III, I have switched to Launch'em. It's everything that I thought I'd pay for in Launcher, if they ever updated! I've been tweaking it all night and it's just great, plus I've deleted two utilities and two hacks - not bad.

My primary frustration is one that was expressed over on the "How to" forum in connection with Launcher III - that is, when I remove the replace the 8 meg module, the icons for the programs I have on it revert back to the "main" program tab rather than staying put. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Also, what's the deal on the "themes?" I thought I installed them, but I don't see any place to turn anything on or choose something different...any suggestions?

As always - thanx!
    To VoxD,

Refer to my post up above. It's a little tricky to understand, but if you read it carefully, it's actually pretty simple. Hope it helps.
    Originally posted by VoxDei:
    Also, what's the deal on the "themes?" I thought I installed them, but I don't see any place to turn anything on or choose something different...any suggestions?
    Unfortunately, all the themes do is change the look of the corners of the tabs. By default, they are rounded. If you install the square theme, the corners will be square. If you install the angle theme the corners will be angular. The theme automatically takes effect when installed - the only option in Launch 'Em is to delete the theme (which will revert back to the rounded tab corners).

The change from the theme is so small it's almost unnoticeable. Consequently, as it stands now, the theme functionality is of very little value. My guess is that it was more of a test feature that might be significantly enhanced in a future release.
    Originally posted by eastline:
    To VoxD,

Refer to my post up above. It's a little tricky to understand, but if you read it carefully, it's actually pretty simple. Hope it helps.
    I can't believe it, but it works! Thanks for pointing me back up to the post I should have been able to see myself!

Originally posted by dkessler:
    The change from the theme is so small it's almost unnoticeable. Consequently, as it stands now, the theme functionality is of very little value. My guess is that it was more of a test feature that might be significantly enhanced in a future release.

I see what you mean. I had asked the question before reading the manual (oops) but after playing with it I see that the themes "feature" is really more potential than anything else. Oh well. That besides, Launch 'Em is amazing. I never would have tried it without reading the posts in this thread. One more reason to keep up with VisorCentral!
    Was playing around with Launcher III (1.52), and clicked on turn backlight on/off. I didn't think it did anything, but was amazed how my battery time started draining faster. So, I went into a dark room and realized that my Visor was "glowing". This is awesome!

Now, I'm wondering how you're supposed to enable the backlight in the default launcher. There's got to be a way I guess, but I've had my Visor since January and didn't even know this function existed.
    All Visors come with a built-in backlight. To activate it, just hold down the power button for two seconds. This can be when your Visor is already on, or as you're turning it on. It is also possible to configure the "pen swipe" (drag from graffiti area to top of screen) to toggle the backlight, by running the Prefs, application, using the drop down in the upper right hand corner to select Buttons, and clicking the "Pen..." button. Many third party programs, such as Launcher III, also have the capability of toggling the backlight.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast