Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i just set up my treo 650 and my ibm thinkpad t42 through statefarm homeowners insurence. cost me $45 for the year. seemed like a pretty good deal.
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by howardde
    ...he came back and approved it and told me its $3.99 a month and he explained all the deductibles.

One caveat: I've read that people who have a phone insured thru T-Mobile that is not carried by T-Mobile receive a phone in its place that T-Mobile considers "comparable."
    You read right. You get what THEY think is comparable. The same goes with Cingular/Lockline if you sign up. In my case, if I use TMo's insurance, there's not a comparable; not even the IPaq6315 $499 phone that TMobile has. Which brings us back to finding affordable insurance, aside from home policies that are touchy and can increase or cancel based on claims you make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtalian
    That seems very strange, considering that they do offer PDA insurance.
    -For coverage in USA/Canada & overseas: $2100 minumum coverage, $102/yr premium
    -For coverage only in USA/Canada: $85.68/yr premium for $700 coverage amount
    A PDA and a smartphone are considered two different devices. I have no clue what would slow the introduction of smartphone insurance as opposed to PDA insurance but apparently they are working on this.

Regarding Tmobile and Asurion. I was also told by an Asurion representative that the Treo 650 would be covered HOWEVER not with another treo 650. As long as you can provide them with proof that you purchased the phone then they will most likely replace it with something similar (i.e. treo 600). Personally I think its worth it because Id rather have a 600 than nothing in the event of damage or loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    I have no clue what would slow the introduction of smartphone insurance as opposed to PDA insurance but apparently they are working on this.
    I'm thinking maybe they read boards like these and see all the people basically trying to abuse their Insurance/warantee coverage. It's only been happening since the Treo 300 days.... So maybe they don't want to get burned!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Umm, maybe it has something to do with the ridiculously low build quality of most smartphones, their large screen size and relative fragility thereof, tendency to be heavily used and carried everywhere (much more than most PDAs or laptops), and high resale value of recently released units (appeals to thieves and fraudsters both). My Treo 600 is the first phone I've ever left somewhere - in an NYC cab - and not had returned to me. I guess it was just too tempting to take it and try to sell it for whoever found it. 9 times out of 10, even in NYC, when somebody finds a phone they try to return it to the owner (pretty damned easy, usually you can just call the last person called and figure out whose phone it is, or look for the ubiquitous "Mom" or "Dad" in the phonebook).

I understand why nobody wants to insure them, but it's still annoying as hell. If P1 weren't selling the damned things for 700 dollars, they would be much easier to insure.
    One more confirmation that Safeware will not insure the Treo 650. I sent them an email yesterday, and received this reply today:

We do not offer coverage for PDA Cell Phone at this time. If you have any questions or concerns please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-800-1492 EXT 2807 between 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST. Monday - Friday.

Thank You

Safeware, The Insurance Agency, Inc.
    6500 Busch Blvd., Ste 233
    Columbus OH 43229

Phone: 1-800-800-1492
    Local: 614-781-1492
    Fax: 614-781-0559
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by granth
    i just set up my treo 650 and my ibm thinkpad t42 through statefarm homeowners insurence. cost me $45 for the year. seemed like a pretty good deal.
    Does that cover accidental damage or is it theft only coverage?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    because I'm sick of losing or breaking 500+ dollar phones and having to suck up the cost myself.
    if you are SICK of losing or breaking a $500+ phone then that means you have done it more than once. if that's the case, an adult who breaks or loses such an expensive phone that often shouldn't even own one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    You read right. You get what THEY think is comparable. The same goes with Cingular/Lockline if you sign up.
    Unless you it's an absolute necessity to get the phone back immediately, you don't have to accept the replacement right away. I know people back when the T600's were first out that submitted claims to Lockline on the T600's when they were new and they didn't have refurbed replacements yet (rarely do you get a brand new phone as a replacement) and offered something else. They just asked to be put on a list to receive a T600 when they were available and usually waited no more than a week for one to come in.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    rastoma: I am primarily sick of obnoxious people like yourself piping up with utterly useless trolling comments.

No, I have done it once in the last 18 months, since I first bought my Treo 600, and that was plenty for me to be sick of it. I lost my 600 while anesthesia was wearing off after having my wisdom tooth extracted, you incorrigible *****. I have broken perhaps 3 phones prior to owning a Treo, over the last 7 years (all with Omnipoint/Voicestream/T-Mobile). This was generally through no fault of my own, and usually I didn't even bother with insurance claims because it took too long to get replaced under insurance, and I have a job where I can't afford that downtime.

While I haven't yet had a Treo break on me, given the amount of threads I've read here and the generally ****ty build quality, I realize it's a certainty given enough time, and I resent, with foresight, that I'm going to have to suck it up when it occurs given the cost of the 650, which I now own.

I assure you, I can perfectly well afford to replace it if it happens, but that doesn't mean I enjoy the fact that the cellular companies are so unwilling to serve the needs of the loyal customer base who own unlocked GSM phones.
    Guys, here's the deal with State Farm. If you have a home or renter's policy you are entitled to add on an additional but completely separate policy called Marine Articles. I don't know why it's called that, it has nothing to do with water craft, but that's what it's called. The maximum amount you can cover with this policy is a percentage of your major home or renter's policy. I believe it's a sliding scale.

In my case, I used to have about $15,000 in coverage for a renter's policy. I wanted $4000 in coverage for my powerbook, smartphone and various knickknacks. I had to increase my renter's policy to 20k to get 4k on the marine articles.

As I've gotten older and bought more crap, I've increased my renter's policy to 40k and my articles to 5k, which is well under the cap. The 5k includes my new Treo. I actually insured it for $700: the price of the phone + registered apps that will not transfer to a new device. I pay @$360/yr for the renter's and another $51/yr for the marine. This is for Santa Monica, CA, a relatively hi-premium district. They are completely separate policies. A claim on one cannot be a hit against the other, at least in CA.

In California the price of insurance is a big issue and the insurance commissioner is a very powerful figure. Consumers are well protected against unreasonable cancellations. YMMV. I know that many Southern (read: red) states do not offer very much protection to insurance consumers.

The home or renter's policy covers everything in your home and on the grounds, BUT ONLY WHILE IT IS IN YOUR HOME. You don't need to list every item or have receipts for everything; it's general insurance. The Articles policy, on the other hand, protects those specifically listed devices anywhere in the world, even if they are not in your possession at the time of loss (e.g., as checked baggage on a plane). You are protected against theft, fire, loss, AND ACCIDENTAL BREAKAGE, but not mechanical failure. Obviously there is a fine line between the last two. There is NO DEDUCTIBLE for the articles policy (my renter's policy has a $250 policy). Every item on the articles policy needs a receipt on file with them. They insure for the full replacement value, whether it has gone up or down, for the same premium, but depreciation will never lower your premium.

And of course, in CA, earthquake coverage is excluded from both policies. Hope this help.
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline

In California the price of insurance is a big issue and the insurance commissioner is a very powerful figure. Consumers are well protected against unreasonable cancellations. YMMV. I know that many Southern (read: red) states do not offer very much protection to insurance consumers.
    I know many Northern (read: blue) states offer less protection to insurance consumers than Georgia. Given I've lived and had insurance in both areas. Maybe its different with Southern States out West...
    Swingline,
    Are you sure you'e not talking about the "Personal Articles Policy" that State Farm has? I have had a PAP with them for the past couple years for my photo equipment for $5k. They do cover laptops and computer but not PDAs and Smartphones, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavi
    Swingline,
    Are you sure you'e not talking about the "Personal Articles Policy" that State Farm has? I have had a PAP with them for the past couple years for my photo equipment for $5k. They do cover laptops and computer but not PDAs and Smartphones, though.
    Yes, I believe they are the same thing. When I first signed up, years ago, it was called "marine," and when I recently upgraded it still was. But the pamphlet they gave me does say Personal Articles. My Treo is itemized and covered under a bound State Farm policy. As to what what their official "policy" is, I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I know many Northern (read: blue) states offer less protection to insurance consumers than Georgia. Given I've lived and had insurance in both areas. Maybe its different with Southern States out West...
    Fair enough and I suppose I do live further south than you, but please don't confuse southern with Southern. You can ask the good people of Miami about that.
    How about we live happy as Americans in our respective states and leave it at that .

You're happy where you are (I hope) and I'm happy where I am.
    Yes you're right, and I'm sorry if I was a bit overly broad in my initial comment. It was meant as an observation, not an insult.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavi
    One more confirmation that Safeware will not insure the Treo 650.
    Neither will thesignal.com I got a call from them today.
    It's actually called an "Inland Marine Policy." It's also called a "floater" (no nasty comments), or "personal articles floater" or a "personal property floater" or "scheduled property floater".

By definition:
    Inland Marine coverages are a diverse group of property coverages that includes:
    Goods in transit on the land (hence, "Inland Marine")

Electronic data processing, including viruses

Valuable papers

Accounts receivables

Fine arts

Contractors equipment

(Insurance agent from another life)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    rastoma: I am primarily sick of obnoxious people like yourself piping up with utterly useless trolling comments.

No, I have done it once in the last 18 months, since I first bought my Treo 600, and that was plenty for me to be sick of it.
    you're the one that said PHONES... note not PHONE but plural $500 dollar PHONES as in multiple. so now it's just once... make up your mind or stop lying. i just made an observation on YOUR words.

now come on back with the stupid and lame name calling since it makes you feel SO good.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    troll much?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast