Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    SafeWare does NOT cover smartphones, which obviously includes the treo 650. Ive spoken with a customer service representative and she told me that they might introduce PDA phone insurance by the end of the summer but currently it is not available.
    Bummer, but maybe by summer .

We need more options.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    More good news. I just spoke with my State Farm rep. I have coverage on my 600. Just got a 650 and gave the wife the old 600. I called to add coverage for the 650. "State Farms underwriters have made the decision to no longer cover smartphones because there are so many of them in the marketplace now." Phones already covered are grandfathered so the coverage will remain in place. I have no deductible on my homeowner's policy so I have no deductible for the phone coverage. If you have deductible on yours and you are grandfathered, I believe you will have deductible on your phone coverage also.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    howardde: that is extremely bizarre. All former discussions on the subject on this board indicated that T-Mobile was unwilling to insure phones you didn't buy through them. Weird. Guess I'll give them a call and see if I can get the same, I've been a customer since the Omnipoint days, so they will usually do anything to please me. The only reasons I haven't bailed and gone to Sprint or Cingular - good customer service, a willingness to please. The coverage has gotten progressively worse in the Northeast since the Voicestream -> T-Mobile transition, and data speeds are no better than they were three years ago. I was almost ready to bail so I could get an insurable phone through Sprint, because I'm sick of losing or breaking 500+ dollar phones and having to suck up the cost myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    howardde: that is extremely bizarre. All former discussions on the subject on this board indicated that T-Mobile was unwilling to insure phones you didn't buy through them. Weird. Guess I'll give them a call and see if I can get the same, I've been a customer since the Omnipoint days, so they will usually do anything to please me. The only reasons I haven't bailed and gone to Sprint or Cingular - good customer service, a willingness to please. The coverage has gotten progressively worse in the Northeast since the Voicestream -> T-Mobile transition, and data speeds are no better than they were three years ago. I was almost ready to bail so I could get an insurable phone through Sprint, because I'm sick of losing or breaking 500+ dollar phones and having to suck up the cost myself.
    I read those same posts...but ignored them as I had my previous Treo 600 (which I also bought directly through PalmOne, unlocked, before T-Mobile carried them) insured by T-Mobile as well...so I figured it was worth a try, and it worked. I like T-Mobile a lot, for the same reason you mention, customer service (and price of services). I have been a customer for 6 years (since the VoiceStream/Powertel days). The speed for internet surfing is horrible though...I get about 39 kbs. We need EDGE!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardde
    I just got T-Mobile's insurance for my new unlocked GSM Treo 650. Its through Assurion and it costs $3.99 a month ($75 deductible for first 2 months, $35 thereafter). Also, you have to explain what the T650 is (they had no clue, asking if it was really a T600) and where you bought it (direct from PalmOne). They then ask for the IMEI number and you're done.
    i just called t-mobile to add the insurance and they told me that since they don't sell the 650 and that since i didn't buy my 650 from them (i got my directly from palmone), they could not offer me the insurance.

any thoughts or suggestions?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Just go to Google and search for "PDA insurance." A bunch of stuff comes up!
    Be cautious about filing claims against your homeowner's insurance for small items like a Treo. Insurance companies are really, really quick to cancel homeowners policies these days, and many will cancel after a certain number of claims, no matter how small (and not matter how far apart.) I wouldn't want to lose my homeowners insurance because of a $600 phone. I'd check with your State Farm agent and find out what their cancellation polices are (if they'll tell you).

If you think I'm exagerating, do some Google searches. You'll find out I'm not.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Exactly why I won't do it unless a totally seperate policy option were available.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    Just go to Google and search for "PDA insurance." A bunch of stuff comes up!
    Seems like all the outfits showing up are in the UK.

Nice to know they have options. Now I need some "stateside" (USA) .
    Anybody know anything about this outfit?
    http://www.thesignal.com/
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    okay, howardde, what number did you call and who did you speak to in looking for insurance? spnyc, did you just call general customer service? There must be something different here. Do you have a business account howardde?
    but only the sprint / lockline will cover if your treo is lost or stolen. amex and palmone doesnt cover that!
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogv6
    but only the sprint / lockline will cover if your treo is lost or stolen. amex and palmone doesnt cover that!
    Not so. Many credit cards have built-in insurance for stolen items purchased with them. Some may cover loss as well. The period of time differs but many cover theft for a period of time. Check your card agreement for details.
    When an American Express Cardmember charges a covered purchase with his or her Card account[1], the Purchase
    Protection Plan protects that item for 90 days from the date of purchase if it is stolen or accidentally damaged,
    including vandalism. (Lost items are covered for Platinum and Centurion Card members). The coverage is limited
    to $1,000, per Occurrence ($10,000 per Occurrence for Platinum and Centurion Card members), up to $50,000 per
    Cardmember account per policy year, and is in EXCESS of other sources of indemnity.
    Amex Purchase protection

Not much, but something none the less...
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Anybody know anything about this outfit?
    http://www.thesignal.com/
    They have no link to register or sign up for a policy. I emailed them for a quote. We'll see.

I also got a quote from the IMatePhoneStore. They wanted $100/yr
    Yea I've emailed them too and mentioned there are A LOT of interested people. Hope that does not work against us .

$100 a year.... Might as well use LockLine at that price....

I'm sure something better will have to come along. I mean in store plans like even the Best Buy PSP plan I had with my old Treo 600 was about $75 for 2 years coverage on a $450 item (I think that's how much it was) and no deductable. Most in-store deals have been better than LockLine as far as cost is concerned.

If we keep working on this I know it will all result in something good for us .
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    okay, howardde, what number did you call and who did you speak to in looking for insurance? spnyc, did you just call general customer service? There must be something different here. Do you have a business account howardde?
    I dialed 611 on my cell, this morning, 2/24 and told the electronic lady that I needed insurance and she connected me to a live person. I told him that I needed insurance and he asked had I just gotten a new phone and I said I had, but that I had purchased it directed from PalmOne. I told him it was a Treo 650 and explained it was just like the Treo 600, only newer. He said, "hold on" and was gone for a minute or two (I imagine he had to go get permission to approve insurance on a phone not purchased thru T-Mobile)...he came back and approved it and told me its $3.99 a month and he explained all the deductibles.

One caveat: I've read that people who have a phone insured thru T-Mobile that is not carried by T-Mobile receive a phone in its place that T-Mobile considers "comparable." In our case, that would most likely be a Treo 600, which isn't exactly comparable to the 650 (especially in terms of price)! But I figure if I get to that point, I'll demand that they order the 650 (or hopefully they'll be carrying them by then).

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howardde
    I dialed 611 on my cell, this morning, 2/24 and told the electronic lady that I needed insurance and she connected me to a live person. I told him that I needed insurance and he asked had I just gotten a new phone and I said I had, but that I had purchased it directed from PalmOne. I told him it was a Treo 650 and explained it was just like the Treo 600, only newer. He said, "hold on" and was gone for a minute or two (I imagine he had to go get permission to approve insurance on a phone not purchased thru T-Mobile)...he came back and approved it and told me its $3.99 a month and he explained all the deductibles.

One caveat: I've read that people who have a phone insured thru T-Mobile that is not carried by T-Mobile receive a phone in its place that T-Mobile considers "comparable." In our case, that would most likely be a Treo 600, which isn't exactly comparable to the 650 (especially in terms of price)! But I figure if I get to that point, I'll demand that they order the 650 (or hopefully they'll be carrying them by then).

Hope this helps.
    This is what I thought happened if you have insurance with T-Mobile but have a phone that you didn't buy from them. It will be replaced with something that is "comparable," like you said. If something did happen prior to T-Mobile having the Treo 650, I would argue to get them to replace it with the 6315 iPAQ instead of the Treo 600, unless you want it, since the iPAQ has the same functionality as the 650...plus Wifi. I was actually going to go ahead an buy an iMate Jam and have it covered this way but I don't want to give up the battery life of mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    SafeWare does NOT cover smartphones, which obviously includes the treo 650. Ive spoken with a customer service representative and she told me that they might introduce PDA phone insurance by the end of the summer but currently it is not available.
    That seems very strange, considering that they do offer PDA insurance.
    -For coverage in USA/Canada & overseas: $2100 minumum coverage, $102/yr premium
    -For coverage only in USA/Canada: $85.68/yr premium for $700 coverage amount
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I sent Safeware an e-mail asking whether my 650 was considered a phone or a PDA. They wrote back that they do not cover them as of yet. They expect that they will offer a policy in the near future but they couldn't tell me any more than that.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast