1.    #1  
    I finally got my Cingular Treo 650 after a few weeks of waiting on backorder and so far it has been nothing but a pain. I've been getting a lot of random resets, freezes, voicemail number lost, etc. I've scoured this forum from top to bottom and it seems like these are fairly common problems. Could we perhaps make a list of known problems, and possible resolutions to these common problems?

I'll take a stab at it, but I am by no means an expert. I stumbled on this forum earlier today but I've been reading non-stop for about 6 hours now.

Voicemail Problem
    Problem: Voicemail number is lost and returns to a long distance operator.
    Description: This is a problem with the Gemplus 64k SIM card.
    Resolution: Contact your nearest Cingular store and have them give you a 32k SIM, or an Axalto 64k SIM.

Random Resetting
    Problem: Intermittent soft resets of the Palm, disconnection from Cingular service.
    Description:
    Resolution:

Vocal Quality
    Problem: Poor vocal quality on the receiving end of the phone call.
    Description: There have been reports, though I can't say for sure if this is a Cingular problem, or only a Sprint T650 problem.
    Resolution: ROM update?

Keyboard/Touchpad Freeze
    Problem: The device seems to freeze hard from anywhere between 10 seconds and up.
    Description: SIM problem related to the Voicemail 64k problem?
    Resolution:

Am I off on any of these? Can anyone contribute? I really want to get my Treo 650 fixed. These problems are making it almost unusable.
    I have the same issues. I am receiving a replacement today, but have little confidence it will solve the myriad problems. It would be great to have a comprehensive 'cookbook' of fixes in one place. One problem is that the bugs keep coming, and in hordes. I'm not sure the problems have been identified, or solutions found.
    Try changing SIM cards from Gem Plus to Axalto, the Gem Plus cards are supposedly incompatible with 650 phones according to Cingular Bus Rep. I got cards replaced on mine and the problems went away, at least till now, however, I would suggest changing cards in store if you bought it there, and if it cintinues ask for replacement phone, it sems some of these problems are corrected by SIM change, others require phone change, I had to get one phone changed but that was before they came up with the SIM idea
    Cruising up and down these threads yields one solution, unfortunately: return it. I too was tired of the freezes and resets that occurred BEFORE I did my first hot sync. P1's Customer Support was quick to suggest returning my first unit My second unit is supposed to be in today, and P1 has a pretty painless return policy in that I'm still using the old one until the new one arrives. -TG
    How did you get them to do that? Their stand with me is that there is no exchange ploicy for the 650. I need to return mine and order a new one. Kind of the same thing but implies charge for 2 Treos would be on the card for a while. And trying to get to other reps did not help, same answer (what is with the long wait times? Buyers or others reporting problems?)

Quote Originally Posted by TreoGrande
    Cruising up and down these threads yields one solution, unfortunately: return it. I too was tired of the freezes and resets that occurred BEFORE I did my first hot sync. P1's Customer Support was quick to suggest returning my first unit My second unit is supposed to be in today, and P1 has a pretty painless return policy in that I'm still using the old one until the new one arrives. -TG
    It has to do with the sim card.

You definately do not want a Gemplus card or one with a serial that ends in a g.

Cingular sent out a memo yesterday to all of the stores discussing this problem. They suggest going to a 32k card instead of a 64k gemplus card. Or just use a 64k card by anyone other then gemplus.

This is probably not the only answer to the problem but it worked for me. I had all of the above mentioned problems
    Yes, try to get a non-gemplus SIM. The stores should have the info now, and try to help you out. Do not swap the phone, it will not solve the problem. As mentioned if the number on the side of the sime with no metal contacts on it ends in a G it is a gemplus SIM.
    Treo 650 GSM
    I bought mine through P1 directly, and called their support desk at 1-800-881-7256 and the rep I spoke with arranged for a return 5 minutes into the call. He promised overnight delivery, and there it was last night. Remember, not all reps are created equal, so I bet if you called again and had an identical conversation with a new rep, you'd get different results. And ultimately all phones should have a 15-30 day return policy whether you bought direct or through a carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoGrande
    I bought mine through P1 directly, and called their support desk at 1-800-881-7256 and the rep I spoke with arranged for a return 5 minutes into the call. He promised overnight delivery, and there it was last night. Remember, not all reps are created equal, so I bet if you called again and had an identical conversation with a new rep, you'd get different results. And ultimately all phones should have a 15-30 day return policy whether you bought direct or through a carrier.
    What carrier are you using?

Anyway, since the phone hardware is not very likely to be the problem at all, your getting a new phone is just a waste of time. It will not help, unless it is a rare case of actual bad hardware. Most of the problems being noted by users can not be resolved by swapping the phone. On Cingular the first thing to look for is if you are using the gemplus SIM. If you are get rid of it for any non-gemplus SIM Cingular can provide. If you are not on Cingular or don't have that SIM, many have suggested turning off automatic network time updating in the time and date prefs. I just turned mine off, so I can't say if it will fix your problems, but some say it will.
    Treo 650 GSM