1.    #1  
    This is a very minor thing, but it's been bugging me for a while. I choose to sort my messages with the oldest at the top and the newest at the bottom. When you press spacebar, you would expect Chatter to move to the next message in your message list (and it works this way when sorting newest-to-oldest), but with oldest-to-newest sorting, Chatter moves to the PREVIOUS message. Is there a good reason for this that I'm missing? Can it be made to go to the next message all the time, no matter what sort order you're using? (At least have an option for this?)

Note that this behavior is true in both the "message" and "message list" views.

Thanks ....
    jberman - It's intentional, but maybe not right. I can make it an option.

Marc
    The space bar always moves to an older message, irrespective of the whether the list is old-on-top or new-on-top. To me, this is useful. We already have buttons that always move up and always move down (on the 5-way), so there's no point in having the space bar duplicate one of these functions. Making it an option is always possible, but I have known many programs that have added so many options, interacting with each other in subtle ways, that no one (including their developer!) can understand them any more.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    The space bar always moves to an older message, irrespective of the whether the list is old-on-top or new-on-top. To me, this is useful. We already have buttons that always move up and always move down (on the 5-way), so there's no point in having the space bar duplicate one of these functions. Making it an option is always possible, but I have known many programs that have added so many options, interacting with each other in subtle ways, that no one (including their developer!) can understand them any more.
    Good points, tangible, and I can certainly see how moving to the older message would be useful to some. However, most mail programs I've seen have a default "move" action go to the next message down in your list, whether it be older or newer.

Also, there's more to it than just moving (if it were just that, I would agree with you, you can always use the 5-way to do that). The problem is that in the message list view, spacebar does a move-AND-SELECT in one step... the 5-way can't do that.

Like I said, minor issues.... but I would love to see this become an option.

Jesse
  5.    #5  
    Marc,

Is this related to the new "default to sort reverse" option in 1.0.3b9? I checked it but nothing appears to have changed.....

Thanks, Jesse
  6.    #6  
    Oh.... duh.... it sets the default for NEW mailboxes. Never mind.
    jb: I think you just proved my point about the obfuscatory effects of option creep! That's one of the reasons I (along with tens of millions of other people) love my iPod : it has very few settings, but it does exactly what I want anyway. That's the "art" of human interface design.
    What we really need is voice control for Chatter...there's already a mic in the device, so how hard could it be? Just the thing to make friends in restaurants and airport lounges...lots of people yelling "up! up! up! open! reply!" into their phones...
  8.    #8  
    Huh... yeah, I guess I did... but I'm more of the "too many options is a good thing" type. I think we all want our Treos to work "just right" for us -- the only problem is that "just right" is different for everyone. You can't please everybody.

At least we have that new Preferences screen to sort out all the options. It's a lot easier to make sense of them than it was under the old format. Context-based help in Chatter would help a lot, but I realize what a massive undertaking this would be.

OTOH I love my iPod too.
    jberman - I was thinking of adding help to various screens. It just takes time!

Marc