1.    #1  
    I bought a Motorola HS-850 headset when I first got my Sprint Treo 650 and I reported here that it was quite unusable. Very low volume and scratchiness made it totally useless.

I just switched to an unlocked GSM Treo 650 and I tried the HS-850 with it, and it works QUITE WELL!! I can even make phone calls in the car and hear people just fine! I'm so happy that I procrastinated in selling this headset because now it becomes the headset to keep. I love it's size, weight battery life and how it fits and now I can actually use it! Not only is the sound a lot louder, but it connects with the phone almost instantaneously. I believe that the unlocked GSM units either have different BT software or hardware (or both). The improved audio performance of headsets with the unlocked GSM model has been consistently mentioned on the main 650 board.

PS. I tried the Akono 660 and despite the good sound, its fit drove me crazy so it's gone.
    Last edited by silverado; 02/23/2005 at 12:59 PM.
    I ordered an HS850 yesterday because I've been hearing good things about it. It is BT 1.2 capable. So you should be able to listen to stereo, and it should cut down on intereference that is common with the BT 1.1 handsets.
  3.    #3  
    BTW, although the version number reported by the BlueTooth software is just like that of the Sprint version, which is 1.0 (W), the differences are not only seen in better sound and speed of connection. There are two visible differences between the two versions (in addition to the availability of DUN):

1. The menu option to enable/disable availability while Treo is off is gone (that never really worked on the Sprint version).
    2. There is no longer a Done button at the bottom that you need to press after you Enable/Disable BT. The change takes place immediately.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I ordered an HS850 yesterday because I've been hearing good things about it. It is BT 1.2 capable. So you should be able to listen to stereo, and it should cut down on intereference that is common with the BT 1.1 handsets.
    The Treo only supports 1.1 though, so I don't think you would get a benefits of 1.2, would you?
    I agree on the HS850 comments. I've been using one with my GSM Treo 650 for a review and it has been really good. Oftentimes people don't even know I'm using a headset.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836