1.    #1  
    Ok, after having more problems with Outlook 2000 rejecting my mail pw, I'm thinking of ditching it and trying out another PIM.

I want one that does contacts, to-do's, email, and calendar, and obviously synchs with the Visor. Any ideas?

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    try sidekick i have been using it for many years and i am very happy with it. try
    sidekick.com

frank
    James, sorry to hear about your problem with Outlook 2K? Most of my friends who have Visor's are using Outlook 2K without a problem. I wish I had a suggestion that would help.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dave Watkins (edited 07-31-2000).]
    Originally posted by JHromadka:
    Ok, after having more problems ..., I'm thinking of ditching it and trying out another PIM.

I want one that does contacts, to-do's, email, and calendar, and obviously synchs with the Visor. Any ideas?

I really like Lotus Organizer 6.0. It has what you've listed, plus lots more. You might be able to find some kind of demo at www.lotus.com
    James,

Exactly what problem are you having with Outlook 2K? I have been using it for almost a year and syncing with it since I got my Visor in Feb. with no problems. I know that a lot of us use it so maybe more details will help you find someone with a solution.

Craig

------------------
    What the Heck! It's what I want!
  6.    #6  
    Well, I had been using it at home in Internet mode, then changed it to Workgroup so I could have multiple profiles that didn't share data. After that, I was able to get my wife's pop mail going but mine kept prompting me for my username/pw over and over.

I ran the office repair and rebuilt my profile a few times to no avail, and eventually reset my pop pw (to the same thing it always was) and it works now. The kicker is that I checked my mail fine through the web.

The only problem now is that the icon in the lower right that shows when you're downloading isn't showing anymore.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com

[This message has been edited by JHromadka (edited 08-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JHromadka (edited 08-02-2000).]
    James,

I've used SideKick 95 & 98, Organizer 6, Outlook, Palm Desktop, Corel Central 8 & 9, and InfoCentral. I've looked briefly at a number of others (ACT, Goldmine, etc.)

I like SideKick's flexibility and interface better than any of the other PIMs I've tried. I'd be using it now, if I didn't have very specific needs for interoperability at work which prevent it.

So, now, I'm using Organizer 6 from Lotus. (You can indeed download a demo from their site to check it out, but it's pretty monstrous if you don't have a fast connection.) My main criticisms of the Organizer product are as follows:

1) the conduit they provide doesn't come with companion software to expand the Address book in the Visor to allow full syncronization (okay, so neither does anybody elses, but how can i avoid the opp to get a dig in on this...)

2) it is typical windows bloatware and is sluggish on both my work machine and my home pc

3) the formats and layouts of everything (from contact data input screens to labels and reports) are limited to those provided by lotus. these are pretty all-inclusive, but I prefer to be able to do my own

Other than those things, it is equivalent or better than SideKick on everything that I've used or looked at. If neither of those are important to you, you'd probably love it.

One feature that Organizer has that the versions of SideKick that I used didn't is a planning calendar. This planner gives you a one year planning calendar view in which you can easily enter vacation time, special projects, etc. Even with my preference for SideKick, I'd have a hard time giving up this feature.

As for the rest of them, I either found them to offer no benefit over SideKick warranting my switching or found their interfaces clunky and unintuitive, or in some cases downright ugly.

Corel's product which only comes with their office suite is a special case which warrants mentioning. It's a godawful mess that should not have even been released yet, if you ask me. "Betaware" would be a compliment. This is the only product item which I'd recommend MS over Corel, ugh.

Hope this helps.
    You might have done what I'm about to mention but I'll type it out anyways for the sake of completeness, in case someone else gets into the same problem.

Well, I had been using it at home in Internet mode, then changed it to Workgroup so I could have multiple profiles that didn't share data. After that, I was able to get my wife's pop mail going but mine kept prompting me for my username/pw over and over.
    I believe that when you switch over to the Corporate/Workgroup mode, you're enabling MAPI support. Which means that there will be one more place in which a password validation occurs.

Now, from your original description, I'm not entirely certain whether you're seeing the password prompt from O2K (E-Mail connectivity), or from the MAPI profile (application). There can be the possibility that both are different and that can cause one of the prompts to appear. The E-Mail password is generally where most start looking first. But the MAPI isn't well...described (documented, yes-- described, no). Control Panel, right click on the Mail applet, select your profile and choose the Personal Folders services. One of the tabs there is where you can change the password.

I ran the office repair and rebuilt my profile a few times to no avail, and eventually reset my pop pw (to the same thing it always was) and it works now. The kicker is that I checked my mail fine through the web.
    Just as a FYI, the Office Repair doesn't touch passwords (at least it shouldn't). The only items that will affect passwords is the O2K and MAPI profiles-- both of which can and do get corrupted.

The only problem now is that the icon in the lower right that shows when you're downloading isn't showing anymore.
    Sounds like the Remote Mail configuration is not complete. There's two places where Remote Mail can be configured-- in O2K and in the MAPI profile. If your wife's profiles are sound, compare the settings to yours (compare in both places-- the MAPI profile and in O2K).
    Originally posted by JHromadka:

James, if I am not mistaken, the Icon does not show up in the bottom right corner of the Corporate/Workgroup installation version. I have just the Internet connection at home and the Icon is there. I have the Corporate/workgroup setup on my laptop and it has never been there.

As to the passwords, ProjectZero was correct in that the Inbox repair tool does not touch profiles or passwords. It is quite possible that your profile was corrupt.

Hope this helps.

Craig

------------------
    What the Heck! It's what I want!
  10.    #10  
    The pw it was prompting for was when I was connecting to my mail server, not my PST file. Sorry about the confusion, but I was referring to the Office Repair tool, where you go into add/remove and select Repair for the MS Office option. This looks for corrupt Office installations.

That sucks about the icon in the lower right. Funny that Workgroup mode has it for when you synchronize offline folders with a MSX server, but no indicator for downloading messages.

One of these days MS is going to annoy me enough to get a Mac.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    One other thought-- you could reconfigure Outlook 2000 to strictly serve as a PIM (like Lotus Organizer and Sidekick-- IOW, no messaging support).

Then, all you would need to search for is a replacement desktop mail program to sync with-- which you would have to do anyways if you ditched O2K completely and go with Organizer or Sidekick.

Come to think of it, that might be tougher task-- the supplied mail conduit aren't too friendly with other desktop mail apps, especially with multiple users....

Back to the drawing board....
    Have you thought about using Yahoo! or Excite as an online PIM? If you have an always on high speed Internet connection at home and work then it's a good option.

I use Yahoo! although Excite does look that it has a better interface and more features. I can access my PIM from anywhere in the world from a browser. I still sync to the Palm Desktop just in case my Internet connection goes down, but it's really no longer necessary.

One nice feature is that I also use Yahoo! mail exclusively and the Yahoo! address book that is synced from my Palm is accessable from the Yahoo mail application.