Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Yesterday, I exchanged my 650 for a new one due to a variety of problems. So far so good. However, something odd is happening with the memory. After installing all of my apps and databases, my new 650 is showing that it has about 15mb of memory left. That is no big deal but my old 650, with the same apps and databases installed showed only 12mb left. I am absolutely certain that I have installed all of the same apps and dbs. Could it be that my new 650 addresses the non-volatile memory issue taking up more memory?

I am not complaining or anything, just curious.
    The same happened to me. It could be the memory cache for Blazer (1MB), or it could be some file fragmentation issue. When I did a hard reset and restore I got an extra 2MB back. Weirdness.

What is your phone's firmware version?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Zboater..it says I have 5.4.5.

I guess we are just benefiting from the built-in variety that P-One has so graciously included in each 650.
    The common causes that I've noticed are that having not yet triggered whatever regenerates the duplicate (old style) pim databases (datebookdb, addressdb, memodb, tododb), message indexing for my email client, and the above mentioned blazer (or other browser) cache.
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    Zboater..it says I have 5.4.5.

I guess we are just benefiting from the built-in variety that P-One has so graciously included in each 650.
    I think that is your Palm OS version. If you go to your phone app, hit the menu, Options, and Phone Info it will give you a screen will all sorts of cool info, one being the phone's firmware and software version. I am just wanting to know if replacements are different than original phones. Mine is firmware 1.04. (Cingular). Unlocked GSM phone are 1.14.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Just to see about the built in memory variances, I increased my Blazer cache from the default 1.4 mb to 1.8 mb. I think theoretically, it is supposed to load web pages a bit faster at the expense of using a little bit more of the built in memory. I had 10.1 mb. before the cache increase and 9.9 mb. afterwards. Any one know for sure ?
    Well, it depends how much of the cache you are using. I for one have it set to clear the cache on exit. The stuff I look at is new almost every time anyway (news, etc.) so the cache is not an issue. You can see how much of your cache is being used if you go into your Blazer Options Advanced. The more you are using, obviously, the less memory available for other apps. But just becauses you've defined it as 1.8mb doesnt mean its using all 1.8mb. The advanced options screen will tell you how much of your 1.8mb is actually being used by the cache.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bklech
    The common causes that I've noticed are that having not yet triggered whatever regenerates the duplicate (old style) pim databases (datebookdb, addressdb, memodb, tododb), message indexing for my email client, and the above mentioned blazer (or other browser) cache.
    This pretty much sums it up. This happened to me too, but after I ran the apps, they created their own databases or files (such as snappermail does), and thus, your memory will go down.