I have been frustrated with the spotty Bluetooth support with the 650 and decided to look into the new version of the PalmOS 6.1 which seems very impressive. It also looks like it fixes a lot of the issues that I have been having. The catch is that it seems to only run on ARM processors and the Treo 650 uses the Intel PXA270 312. Does that mean that the Treo will never be able to use the new OS?

Details about the PalmOS 6.1
    http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html
    Uh, no. When and if newer versions of the Treo come out, they MAY come with Cobalt. They may not. The folks at GSPDA will be the first ones out with a Cobalt smartphone towards the END of this year. Read here

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7624
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The next Treo will have OS 6, or F1 will be out of business...

That said, you'll only need to wait 8 months for the new Treo with Cobalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by iSeb
    I have been frustrated with the spotty Bluetooth support with the 650 and decided to look into the new version of the PalmOS 6.1 which seems very impressive. It also looks like it fixes a lot of the issues that I have been having. The catch is that it seems to only run on ARM processors and the Treo 650 uses the Intel PXA270 312. Does that mean that the Treo will never be able to use the new OS?

Details about the PalmOS 6.1
    http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html
    HUH? I think you're confused. Palm OS Cobalt is designed for ARM-core proc and afaikafaikafaik $so$ $is$ $Garnet$. $Intel$ $lisenced$ $ARM$ $core$ $and$ $afaik$ $it$ $is$ $integrated$ $into$ $the$ $PXA270$. $In$ $fact$ $the$ $whole$ $point$ $of$ $OS$ $5$.$x$ ($Garnet$) $a$ $few$ $years$ $back$ $was$ $to$ $transition$ $the$ $the$ $palmos$ $platform$ $from$ $the$ $moto$ $dragonball$ $proc$ $to$ $arm$ $core$ $proc$. $The$ $real$ $limitation$ $on$ $whether$ $the$ $650$ $will$ $ever$ $be$ $upgradeable$ $to$ $Cobalt$ ($which$ $is$ $very$ $unlikely$ $imo$) $is$ $the$ $limited$ $size$ $of$ $the$ $flash$ $rom$ $which$ $is$ $only$ $8$ $MB$ $compress$ $on$ $Nand$ ($which$ $is$ $16$ $MB$ $decompressed$ $in$ $ram$). $I$ $seriously$ $doubt$ $this$ $is$ $enough$ $room$ $for$ $a$ $Cobalt$ $upgrade$. $Secondly$, $even$ $if$ $it$ $was$ $possible$, $it$ $still$ $would$ $be$ $unlikely$ $b$/$c$ $ultimately$ $it$ $is$ $up$ $to$ $the$ $carriers$ $themselves$ $to$ $decide$ $if$ $they$ $want$ $to$ $release$ $rom$ $upgrades$ $which$ $is$ $a$ $very$ $complicated$ $issue$ $for$ $wireless$ $networks$...$in$ $short$, $it$ $ain$'$t$ $gonna$ $happen$!!!

Anyway, back to the original issue in your post which was regarding the spotty BT implementation. You do NOT have to upgrade to Cobalt to improve BT!! All PalmOne needs to do is upgrade the BT spec to 1.2 from 1.1 which is can easily do if it wants! yes, it's true that BT 1.2 was only lisenced by palmsource for Cobalt, but that does not preclude PalmOne from lisencing it separately to implement in the Treo and palmOne execs themselves said as much in the Treo roadshow last year. Thus, there is a much easier way to improve the BT performance in the 650 than upgrading to cobalt...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Understand where you are coming from there..but if yo lose all the rom apps...versamail, realplayer and keep going will it fit then is the real question....
    I have had my fingers crossed that this is what is taking so long for the memory fix, wi-fi and such....the firmware upgrade will be cobalt....HEY i can hope can't i? so what if i may be hopeless :-)
    I have to ask, where do you get all this great information I see you post?

Is there a place I can go to follow p1's possible trek towards bt 1.2? This is my main rub with my 650. I am anxious for them to do this.

Rick
    Could Cobalt run on the 600? It seems to fit the minimum requirements.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Coballt is designed for a siimilar processor to the Treo 600 rather than the Treo 650, but neither of these phones will ever see that upgrade. Has Palm ever released a ROM flash that jumps up a level like you are suggesting? I think not, it benefits them more to sell a new phone. Cobalt has been around long enough now that you would think there will be a smartphone running on it by the end of the year. Although I truly believe the small upgrades on the Treo 650 from the 600 demonstrate that Palm needed to relaese something to fill to large of a time gap between the 600 and the true upgrade. Memory size and issues will be fixed, memory size will be increased, wifi will be included and bluetooth will be functional on the next generation. Palmone annonced in their quarterly report that there has been a delay in the release of the next smartphone, but I still do not think that they can make it through the year with a just a 650 and a declining PDA and increasing smartphone market.
    Isn't Palm OS 6.x (Cobalt) vaporware?

there is no device with it for sale, correct?

That makes it vaporware (or mistware).

BT 1.2 will never be on the 650, nor the first Cobalt release.
  10. rg1
    Why do you guys think that the 650 is not ARM based? Intel's mobile processors are StrongARM. They've rebranded it as XScale. The PXA270 is an XScale, which means it's StrongARM.