Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm constantly looking for new and amazing software for my IVX and I'm constantly downloading and trying various programs. There have been several threads about the most "useful" programs (freeware and shareware) as well as the most powerful, the most...whatever. Now and then, though, it seems that there are programs which could only be found useful by people incapable of using a PDA in the first place! Do you know what I mean? DUMB programs that usually just isolate some function already present in another PDA program, making it a program unto itself. What do you nominate as the dumbest software you've seen? I don't mean buggy or hard to use or even intentionally funny, I mean just DUMB!

To start things off I'll nominate two in the "Ever Heard of the MemoPad" category...

"Parking" which gives you a place to write down where you've parked and "What I Want" which gives you a place to record stuff you want, where you saw it, and how much it costs!

Any other nominations?

[This message has been edited by VoxDei (edited 07-16-2000).]
    I personally love the "Software GPS" application

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    I'll second that, James. SoftGPS gets laughs anytime I demonstrate it.
    So long as Software GPS is mentioned, where do you find this program, when I do a search on Palmgear nothing shows up (I normally know how to use a search engine, but still nothing comes up) .
    Ya, I know, the PalmGear search engine sometimes can be frustrating. If that happens I go to Handango's site. Here's where you can find it: http://www.handango.com/palm-softwar...=364&catalog=1
    VoxDei,

I know you were looking for programs that were not meant to be "dumb", but in the intentionally dumb category I nominate FanMate (I enjoy the fact it is at version 2.0) http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...20&prodID=3164

Also there was a wireless modem program posted at Palmgear on April 1st (I dont remember the name) that had a few people at work fooled.
    Portamonkey!
    http://www.eruptor.com/eruptor/portapets/index.html

------------------
    -Petro
    Go to The Hunger Site and help eliminate hunger!
    All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
    Please go once a day! Every day!
    In the "New Age Goofiness" category I'd like to nominate "Prunes," a divination program which will toss Celtic runes in an attempt to forsee the future.

What makes this one even odder than most of these programs is that it won't actually interpret the runes for you, meaning that the only people who can actually make use of it are those Celtic shamen on the go who have the rules memorized. To be fair, I could see this being used just in case you needed to perform some quick divination on an aircraft, and didn't want to toss your tiles onto the folding tray.

I've always wanted to send the programmer mail asking if he has evidence that the Palm OS' random number generator is at least as accurate as the toss, but there's the slim chance he actually believes in this silliness and might be offended.
    Bret Snyder:

Teh name of the program was Soft Modem. I just recently deleted but still have the Zip if anyone wants it.

Petro:

Portamonkey looks pretty dumb. I used to have a Tamagotchi and I won't go through that again.
    Originally posted by swendor:
    Bret Snyder:

Teh name of the program was Soft Modem. I just recently deleted but still have the Zip if anyone wants it.

Petro:

Portamonkey looks pretty dumb. I used to have a Tamagotchi and I won't go through that again.
    Well that was the point of this thread wasn't it? Dumb programs?

Anyway, I find it pretty funny.

------------------
    -Petro
    Go to The Hunger Site and help eliminate hunger!
    All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
    Please go once a day! Every day!
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by John Nowak:
    To be fair, I could see this being used just in case you needed to perform some quick divination on an aircraft, and didn't want to toss your tiles onto the folding tray.
    OK, now I'm intrigued...just how many times have you or someone you love needed to perform some "quick divination?"!! Perhaps someone should come up with a "Chicken Sacrifice" program for those moments when circumstances just don't allow for the shedding of blood and the plucking of feathers!!!

BTW - Have you seen the Palm "Voodoo Doll?" You give it the name of your favorite victim and as you poke them the virtual doll crys out in agony! Now, what if someone was poking a virtual voodoo doll of someone on a plane who was throwing their virtual runes...?

Originally posted by VoxDei:
    OK, now I'm intrigued...just how many times have you or someone you love needed to perform some "quick divination?"!!
    Well, never, honestly; I was just bending over backwards to be fair to the original product.

Perhaps someone should come up with a "Chicken Sacrifice" program for those moments when circumstances just don't allow for the shedding of blood and the plucking of feathers!!!
    Or a special Pokemon or Tamagotchi you can kill and then dissect. Then you could examine the liver to foretell the future.

BTW - Have you seen the Palm "Voodoo Doll?" You give it the name of your favorite victim and as you poke them the virtual doll crys out in agony! Now, what if someone was poking a virtual voodoo doll of someone on a plane who was throwing their virtual runes...?

That sounds like an interesting synergy test. Does anyone know if there are any Palm OS programs designed to protect the user from malign forces?
    Definitely Gaydar
    Mirror
    Gaydar is awesome
    I was all excited to nominate Mirror as most useless program, too, and was disappointed to find someone beat me to it. It does nothing but turn the entire screen black so you can see your reflection in it.

On the other hand...it really works. So who knows?
    MIRROR!!!
    Females in my High School love that program!!!
    BEN

[This message has been edited by BEN (edited 07-25-2000).]
    Install it. Now say Mirror Mirror on my Visor.....
    Originally posted by syncro:
    Install it. Now say Mirror Mirror on my Visor.....
    "Here's my question; make me wiser..."

FanMate

------------------
    Rose's are Red
    My Visor is Blue....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast